Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    STLRAMSFAN Guest

For all the members of the S.L.O.P. fan club (The Anti-SLOP Thread)

Where was this club during the hiring of Linehan? Linehan took over a team that was not very good he did not take over a Superbowl team. Granted he may not be doing that great of a job right now. But we have not even seen his final record. We were without four of last years starting OL last game Pace, Timmerman, McCollum, and Terrell. Three of those guys have anchored this team since our Superbowl win. We are 4-6 now which is still better then the 6-10 team we had last year and if Linehan finishes at 8-8 we will have done as good as we did two years ago. We have all new coaches, all new offense, and four starters on the OL from last year are not playing. We are still on pace to finish better then last year. IMO some of the SLOP members are the ones that criticize others for being negative about players. Well maybe just maybe we should try not to start a club that is in opposition of a brand new coach without an OL that still is on pace to improve over last years record. Maybe we should hold off until the season is over and the final game of his first year has been coached, at the very least. I know I will not judge him until after he has a chance to get this team aligned more with the players he wants. Which to me is at least one more off-season. He is still learning what each and every player brings to the table in the new system he did not know how well each would buy into or play in the new system. So while some of us think he has made some bonehead coaching moves IMO itís too early to start a SLOP club. After all I think we all thought our last coach made some bonehead coaching moves and did not run the ball enough at times. So should we have started a club in opposition to him also?
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -11-21-2006 at 02:14 AM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: For all the members of the S.L.O.P. fan club

The Bonehead decisions and calls that he has made has nothing to do with his players. I'm not a fan that wants this guy fired, I want him to have a fair chance. (He's been bringing his boys in at every chance he gets because he knows what they are capable of). He can bring in all the players he wants, if he doesn't start making more sensible calls especially at critical parts of the game he's doomed. No matter who the players are. IMO he needs to start accepting the responsiblity of the Head Coaching position and stop blaming the players for his ineptness. He said the players weren't ready to play in Carolina??? He might have lost the respect of his players already. He needs to take the heat and stop throwing them under the bus.

Coaching is about teaching....What's he teaching our Rams?? How to point the finger?:x

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Agreed STL, it's too early for a SLOP club. Yes the playcalling was terrible yesterday, yes Linehan has made mistakes throughout the year (not kicking FGs etc) but a SLOP club is overreacting after only 10 games.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

tanus is offline Registered User

If you really want to compare this year's team to last year's team that lost its head coach due to illness for the majority of the year, then go right ahead. It really doesn't make much sense to me, but so be it if you want to compare the two.

The way I see it is the coach fell in love with his toys at TE in the draft and ignored other weaknesses that are now burning him a lot more than had he stuck with Manumaleuna at TE and brought in another vet TE or drafted a TE later on in the rounds. See the current state of the OL.

Another thing that miffs me is this team had significantly more money to spend in the offseason than any of the last few offseasons. I could be wrong on this, but I am pretty sure that this is the case. What are the results of this? An over the hill DT. An OLB being miscast as an MLB. A SS that really hasn't done crap except learned how to study for the draft. And a CB that is a definite improvement (good job on Fakhir Brown, I'll acknowledge that).

Martz generally had a lot of dead money to deal with. Is it his fault that the huge contracts that the FO gave out came back to bite the team in the butt? Some you could say was bad luck. The Turley deal for instance is a great example of this. When he was healthy the team went 12-4. If anyone has exact figures on how much money we had to spend per offseason, I'd like to see it so I can make sure I have my facts correct.

I'm just not buying these excuses. IMO, Linehan has enough talent on this team and had enough money in the offseason to produce a better product that what we are currently seeing.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tanus View Post
    If you really want to compare this year's team to last year's team that lost its head coach due to illness for the majority of the year, then go right ahead. It really doesn't make much sense to me, but so be it if you want to compare the two.
    It was Martz coaching staff and Martz playbook on offense they used. At the half way point this year we had better offensive numbers then Martz had in his last full season in which he finished 8-8.

The way I see it is the coach fell in love with his toys at TE in the draft and ignored other weaknesses that are now burning him a lot more than had he stuck with Manumaleuna at TE and brought in another vet TE or drafted a TE later on in the rounds. See the current state of the OL.
    It seems like we have said this same thing about some one falling in love with WRs now don't it. At least at TE we had a need. As for the OL how was Linehan supposed to know we were going to lose four starters from last year to injury. He did sign Steussie who IMO has done as good as what you could have expected from some high round unproven rookie. IMO you can find guards lower in the draft he drafted Setterstrom who could come along and become a starter. We had an OL at the begining of the year that looked promising Pace, Barron, Incognito, Timmerman, McCollum, and Steussie. An argument could be made our biggest need coming in was at TE.

Another thing that miffs me is this team had significantly more money to spend in the offseason than any of the last few offseasons. I could be wrong on this, but I am pretty sure that this is the case. What are the results of this? An over the hill DT. An OLB being miscast as an MLB. A SS that really hasn't done crap except learned how to study for the draft. And a CB that is a definite improvement (good job on Fakhir Brown, I'll acknowledge that).
    He might be an over the hill DT but he did have two sacks last game and he did not command a huge contract. As for Spoon he is better then any MLB we have had since Fletcher and I don't think there were any better options out there. Remember we are still rebuilding what was a horrible team this defense has stunk for a long long time. Spoon may move back to the outside if we can pick up a better option in the middle. The SS that has not done crap has done more IMO then our previous SS and who do you see for the money that we paid would have been better. We also resigned Bruce this offseason and now have locked up Pisa and Little. I think its a little early to judge how well that money was spent in just there first 1/2 year.

Martz generally had a lot of dead money to deal with. Is it his fault that the huge contracts that the FO gave out came back to bite the team in the butt? Some you could say was bad luck. The Turley deal for instance is a great example of this. When he was healthy the team went 12-4. If anyone has exact figures on how much money we had to spend per offseason, I'd like to see it so I can make sure I have my facts correct.
    So the money we spent with Linehan was all Linehans fault and the money we spent with Martz was either bad luck or not his fault. Interesting theory very interesting.

I'm just not buying these excuses. IMO, Linehan has enough talent on this team and had enough money in the offseason to produce a better product that what we are currently seeing.
    I agree I am not buying your execuses. Linehan took over a team that was 6-10 or 14-18 the last two years and has lost 4/5 of their OL. He also is installing an all new offense and defense. I am not making any execuses for Linehan I have said he has made some bad calls but you can say the same about Martz and about every other NFL coach.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -11-20-2006 at 09:54 PM.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Agreed. This is a far more objective approach to take. I think for a lot of us there was always an expectation that it would take a lotfor this team to get to the playoffs. He's a 1st year head coach, he'll make some iffy decisions. The key thing is how he learns from them.

Firing him before 2 seasons have passed would be far too hasty and put the club in a worse position than it is now.

There are no quick fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN View Post
    It was Martz coaching staff and Martz playbook on offense they used. At the half way point this year we had better offensive numbers then Martz had in his last full season in which he finished 8-8.
    And I doubt Shytehan will have this team finish 8-8. If he does, then good job. If I remember correctly, didn't that same team fight and claw to make the playoffs and then win in the wildcard game? You really think this team under Shytehan is capable of doing the same thing? I sure don't, but you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

It seems like we have said this same thing about some one falling in love with WRs now don't it. At least at TE we had a need. As for the OL how was Linehan supposed to know we were going to lose four starters from last year to injury. He did sign Steussie who IMO has done as good as what you could have expected from some high round unproven rookie. IMO you can find guards lower in the draft he drafted Setterstrom who could come along and become a starter. We had an OL at the begining of the year that looked promising Pace, Barron, Incognito, Timmerman, McCollum, and Steussie. An argument could be made our biggest need coming in was at TE.
    WRs were a big, big staple in the Martz offense. With Bruce aging the drafting of Curtis in the 3rd round makes sense at least from a logical standpoint. Also, the drafting of McDonald in the 4th round also makes logical sense especially when you consider his punt return ability. I didn't agree that TE was our biggest need coming in. Look at the season Manu is having in SD. From a blocking standpoint, he blows Klop out of the water. It also makes no sense to draft two rookie receiving TEs on the first day of the draft. If you can somehow convince me this was a good idea, then major props to you. As for the OL. Three of the guys you named are over the age of 35. To me that doesn't look promising but more along the lines of you need to inject some youth. But again, I can see your point about a TE, but I think it was a mistake to draft 2 in the first 3 rounds. 1 TE in the first 3 rounds I would have been ok with.

He might be an over the hill DT but he did have two sacks last game and he did not command a huge contract. As for Spoon he is better then any MLB we have had since Fletcher and I don't think there were any better options out there. Remember we are still rebuilding what was a horrible team this defense has stunk for a long long time. Spoon may move back to the outside if we can pick up a better option in the middle. The SS that has not done crap has done more IMO then our previous SS and who do you see for the money that we paid would have been better. We also resigned Bruce this offseason and now have locked up Pisa and Little. I think its a little early to judge how well that money was spent in just there first 1/2 year.
    Ok, so he has had 1 good game so far. I still don't see the point of signing a guy just because he didnt command a huge contract. Would you rather have Glover or Pickett? I'd rather have Pickett personally. Spoon may be better than any other MLB we have had since Fletcher, but that isn't really saying much. Also, you just said he may move out to the outside so you pretty much agree with me that he is miscast as an MLB. Let's not mention that he has been burned quite a few times in coverage as an MLB. Just because Chavous has done more than the injury riddle Archuletta doesn't mean it was a good pickup. He has been average at best, imo. Nothing spectacular.

So the money we spent with Linehan was all Linehans fault and the money we spent with Martz was either bad luck or not his fault. Interesting theory very interesting.
    Nope, you misread what I wrote. I was saying that Martz never had this much money to spend in the offseason. The reason being was because of dead money from big contracts that went south (Warner and Turley). IMO, Linehan had more than enough money to bring in guys that would have had more of an impact on this team. I don't see how anyone can be satisfied with the FAs we signed this offseason.

I agree I am not buying your execuses. Linehan took over a team that was 6-10 or 14-18 the last two years and has lsot 4/5 of their OL. He also is installing an all new offense and defense. I am not making any execuses for Linehan I have said he has made some bad calls but you can say the same about Martz and about every other NFL coach.
    Well, at least we can agree that we wouldn't buy each other's excuses.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Look at the season Manu is having in SD. From a blocking standpoint, he blows Klop out of the water.
    Dont compare the two. I remember Manu looking pretty pathetic when he was here in St.Louis. Klopfenstein is already playing as well as Manu was when he was here.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39 View Post
    Dont compare the two. I remember Manu looking pretty pathetic when he was here in St.Louis. Klopfenstein is already playing as well as Manu was when he was here.
    That's your opinion and I don't agree with it. Klop is horrible at blocking yet Manu is having a good season blocking with the Chargers. So be it I guess.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Lets beat the crap out of the *****

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    Now that I agree with! :r

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    We can all complain all we want, but if we play like we did against the Panthers, don't expect to beat the Whiners, don't expect to beat the Cards, and CERTAINLY don't expect to win against anyone else this season.

Whatever is wrong with our team (Which there is quite a lot to babble about...), the only ones who are going to be able to make the changes are the coaches and the players.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Where was this club during the hiring of Linehan?
    A lot of us were hoping that the Rams would hire Ron Rivera.

We are 4-6 now which is still better then the 6-10 team we had last year and if Linehan finishes at 8-8 we will have done as good as we did two years ago.
    As I've said before, it not the losing as much as how the team is losing.

Well maybe just maybe we should try not to start a club that is in opposition of a brand new coach without an OL that still is on pace to improve over last years record.
    Remember, its an "opposition" party, not a "fire Linehan" party. Our primary objective is to voice our displeasure. If Linehan can show us we are wrong, we'll be happy to be wrong.

After all I think we all thought our last coach made some bonehead coaching moves and did not run the ball enough at times. So should we have started a club in opposition to him also?
    Martz had plenty of opposition but he also went 24-8 in his first two regular seasons, so he earned a more patient approach. What has Linehan ever done to deserve all this patience?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Remember, its an "opposition" party, not a "fire Linehan" party.
    By basic definition, it's my understanding that opposition parties inherently seek to replace the party in power. To call oneself an opposition party that isn't seeking to replace those in power strikes me as somewhat strange.

Martz had plenty of opposition but he also went 24-8 in his first two regular seasons, so he earned a more patient approach.
    So why doesn't Linehan get 32 games to see where he stands?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

What has Linehan ever done to deserve all this patience?
    He drastically improved both the Vikings and Dolphins offenses in the first year. In his fifth year in the league he is now with his third different team, that is some quick progression, must take some mighty fine credentials to make the jump he has made to head coach of the Rams.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast