Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    STLRAMSFAN Guest

Anti-S.L.O.P.

Who is ready to support our new coach and give him until the end of next season. Who hopes he will do well instead of oppose his hiring and his existence as the Rams coach. After all we had a worse winning percentage last year without him. Lets give him a chance and see what he can do once he sees how the players are going to do in his new O and D system and also figure out who is buying into the system and who is not. Lets see what happens when he get the players he wants on O and D. You can't do that in one season. Lets not compare him to our previous coaches first year he inherited a superbowl team in his first year. This is not a Superbowl team it was a .500 team two years ago and below .500 team last year. Who is ready to support the team accept there maybe mistakes made by the new coaching staff and give them a pass until the end of the year. After all you take 4/5 of any teams starting OL last year away from them and they are bound to have trouble.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -11-21-2006 at 01:58 AM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: For all the members of the S.L.O.P. fan club

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    By basic definition, it's my understanding that opposition parties inherently seek to replace the party in power. To call oneself an opposition party that isn't seeking to replace those in power strikes me as somewhat strange.
    Not at all. Opposition parties often realize that they are a minority and do not have the ability to truly effectuate change, particularly in the short run. Nonetheless, they serve an important role by preventing the leading party from believing it has a mandate.

So why doesn't Linehan get 32 games to see where he stands?
    Martz didn't start off 4-6, nor did he had a 5 game losing streak in his first year. Also, he had just finished building an offense that won a Super Bowl.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Martz didn't start off 4-6, nor did he had a 5 game losing streak in his first year. Also, he had just finished building an offense that won a Super Bowl.
    Vermeil was the coach and he handed over a Superbowl team that he had assembled all the tallent. Its a little different getting a 6-10 then it is getting a superbowl team.

Oh, please. Not that again. Martz built the GSOT offense.

I don't think Linehan inheritted a 6-10 team, per se. The team that went 6-10 was missing Bulger for several games, and that makes a HUGE difference. With a healthy Bulger, this should not be a 6-10 team.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Martz had plenty of opposition but he also went 24-8 in his first two regular seasons, so he earned a more patient approach. What has Linehan ever done to deserve all this patience?
    Another thing people seem to forget is Martz had 6 years with the Rams getting to know the front office, the players, the owner, the staff, the playbook, etc and worked his way into the head coaching job. Had he been thrust in right away I highly doubt he would have done as well as he did his first 2 seasons.

I agree I did not like the hiring of Linehan, but he is here now and we need to give him time to see what he can do. Only 7 years ago Linehan got his first college coahing job as a receivers coach. In seven years he has gone from an assistant coach at the college level to a head coach in the NFL. Quite impressive really. 9 years ago he was selling rings for Josten's. Either his public relations degree helped him schmooze his way to the top, or he really does have enormous potential to be a great NFL head coach.

The only way to find out is to give him time. 2 years is a minimal amount of time to be able to judge how much potential for greatness he really has...10 games is not.

I hate us losing just as much as the rest of you, but if Linehan left tomorrow, we'd be stuck with Haslett, and then we'd be really screwed.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Oh, please. Not that again. Martz built the GSOT offense.

I don't think Linehan inheritted a 6-10 team, per se. The team that went 6-10 was missing Bulger for several games, and that makes a HUGE difference. With a healthy Bulger, this should not be a 6-10 team.
    Nice Try we were 2-6 in games that Bulger played last year. We were 4-4 in the games Bulger did not play in.

Bulger is having a good year under Linehan at the half way point he was having a better year then under Martz in his last full season.

Why did Bulger miss so much time under Martz could it be the offense left him open to get his clock cleaned which falls back on coaching.

Martz had the final say on acquiring all the offensive players Bruce, Warner, Hakim, Proehl, Roland Williams, Ernie Conwell, Wilkins, Hodges were all on the team in 1998 the year before Martz ever arrived. Thats not even mentioning the three guys we were counting on the OL coming in McCollum, Timmerman, and Pace were 7 years younger. The D was in much better shape then what Linehan was given. I also believe Vermeil had some say so in Faulk and Holt since he was the head coach.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -11-21-2006 at 02:56 AM.

tanus is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN View Post
    Nice Try we were 2-6 in games that Bulger played last year. We were 4-4 in the games Bulger did not play in.

Bulger is having a good year under Linehan at the half way point he was having a better year then under Martz in his last full season.

Why did Bulger miss 8 games last year? could it be the offense left him open to get his clock cleaned which falls back on coaching.

Martz had the final say on acquiring all the offensive players Bruce, Warner, Hakim, Proehl, Roland Williams, Ernie Conwell, Wilkins, Hodges were all on the team in 1998 the year before Martz ever arrived. Thats not even mentioning the three guys we were counting on the OL coming in McCollum, Timmerman, and Pace were 7 years younger. The D was in much better shape then what Linehan was given. I also believe Vermeil had some say so in Faulk and Holt since he was the head coach.
    But earlier you said the line having Pace, McCollum, and Timmerman was promising, so which one is it?

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tanus View Post
    But earlier you said the line having Pace, McCollum, and Timmerman was promising, so which one is it?
    Here is what I what I said.
    We had an OL at the begining of the year that looked promising Pace, Barron, Incognito, Timmerman, McCollum, and Steussie.
    Yes it did look promising with three returning starters two decent looking young guys and Steussie as a vet with starting experience. Does that mean I would want Timmerman, Pace, and McCollum of 2006 or 1999. Well if I look at the injuries all three were out last game. If I look at play in Timmerman and McCollum I would rather have the 99 version. Remember Linehan is coaching without all three right now. Martz had all three in there prime when he took over.

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN View Post
    To be fair, Bulger was 2-4 in games he started and completed, and the Rams were 4-6 in games in which he either didn't play or suffered an injury.

Clearly, though, the Rams had some major problems last year that were not present this year. Not just Bulger's injury, but missed games by Jackson, Holt, Bruce and Little all hurt the Rams last year - not to mention the fact that Martz had to go on a medical leave.

I think Linehan inheritted a team with more potential than you apparently believe they had.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Not at all.
    Fair enough, we disagree then on how we define a group of that nature then.

Martz didn't start off 4-6, nor did he had a 5 game losing streak in his first year.
    He also didn't inherit a team that went 6-10, either.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

That 6-10 inherited team needs an * considering its head coach missed a majority of the season.

This Martz/Linehan comparison only takes us so far.

Yes, the team Martz took over was better than this year's team. No argument there.

This is about the job Linehan is doing, including:

1. Pass/Run ratio of 42/8 with his best pass blocker injured.

2. Going for it on 4th and 1 in easy FG range with a 2 point lead (and throwing the ball to boot!), directly leading to a 2 point loss.

These are actions of a coach who doesn't seem to know what he is doing on game day. This worries me, and I'm going to vocalize my concern until it gets better or until Linehan is gone.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

This is about the job Linehan is doing, including:

1. Pass/Run ratio of 42/8 with his best pass blocker injured.

2. Going for it on 4th and 1 in easy FG range with a 2 point lead (and throwing the ball to boot!), directly leading to a 2 point loss.

These are actions of a coach who doesn't seem to know what he is doing on game day. This worries me, and I'm going to vocalize my concern until it gets better or until Linehan is gone.
    Are you saying Martz did not know what he was doing also then. Because I seem to remember several games were Martz did these type of things and I seem to remember the media getting on Martz about his decisions about every other game.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I have absolutely no problem with anyone who wants to vocalize their concerns about legitimate problems with this team. However, I don't think one needs to go so far as to create some kind of opposition party to accomplish that goal.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I have absolutely no problem with anyone who wants to vocalize their concerns about legitimate problems with this team. However, I don't think one needs to go so far as to create some kind of opposition party to accomplish that goal.
    Nick, wheres your sense of humor?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast