VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

All the proof you need...

There are a lot of posts out there, (pretty much a minority on this board, given our intelligence ) that "all eyes", or some such thing, are on Spags and Billy D, as in they still needto prove themselves and blah flippin' blah.

Got news for y'all - (believers and skeptics) - they already have.

Two words: James Laurinitis.

I won't say they got heat when they selected him, but there were plenty of "Ray Maluaga / Reach" comments after the pick. This guy right now, (on a team only two years that went 1-15, and 7-9), IS (while not a household name) well known and respected in the league. Guys - he's in NFL commercials - what does that tell you.

He is the heart of the D that the Rams have been missing almost ten years. That just shows me a lot of expertise in evaluating talent and character.

Plus - he's a cool dude.

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: All the proof you need...

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post

I won't say they got heat when they selected him, but there were plenty of "Ray Maluaga / Reach" comments after the pick. This guy right now, (on a team only two years that went 1-15, and 7-9), IS (while not a household name) well known and respected in the league. Guys - he's in NFL commercials - what does that tell you.

James Laurinitis fell to Round 2, after the previous year he was projected as a top 10 pick. The Rams really did nothing but sit and wait, and luckily JL fell to them......

We are happy that other LB were taken ahead of him so that our coaches could mold our defense around him. In fact, many teams were shocked that he lasted that long.

Basically, after years of bad drafting and bad luck pickups -- JL was a gift and we found sitting there ...

Everything looks great now, but just remember he fell to us (by luck)....thank god..

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    James Laurinitis fell to Round 2, after the previous year he was projected as a top 10 pick. The Rams really did nothing but sit and wait, and luckily JL fell to them......

We are happy that other LB were taken ahead of him so that our coaches could mold our defense around him. In fact, many teams were shocked that he lasted that long.

Basically, after years of bad drafting and bad luck pickups -- JL was a gift and we found sitting there ...

Everything looks great now, but just remember he fell to us (by luck)....thank god..
    Hmm, I never heard anything about him ever being a top ten pick, I wonder what made him drop so far? But, I was pretty sure he was the first MLB picked in the drafte and I thought it was the Rams who had the choice between him and maluaga.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    Hmm, I never heard anything about him ever being a top ten pick, I wonder what made him drop so far? But, I was pretty sure he was the first MLB picked in the drafte and I thought it was the Rams who had the choice between him and maluaga.
    He decided to stay in school....Many had him in the 7-10 range. He had ok year before coming out and with such a deep LB draft, he fell....couple that with many teams wanting a 3-4 backer or a OLB...he slide all the way down...

Mocks the prior year had him as early as 5 or 6....

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Excellent point, Vegas. Same could be said for Saffold. And where are the guys who were tearing their hair out over The Rams passing on Curry and Crabtree? I'd even think most of the "I wanted Suh" support group would have a hard time getting a lather up now that Bradford has put The Rams in the catbird seat at QB.

And we haven't even talked about the FAs for whom Devaney supposedly should have mortgaged the farm like Housh, Moss, Fat Albert, TO, et al.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    There are a lot of posts out there, (pretty much a minority on this board, given our intelligence ) that "all eyes", or some such thing, are on Spags and Billy D, as in they still needto prove themselves and blah flippin' blah.

Got news for y'all - (believers and skeptics) - they already have.

He is the heart of the D that the Rams have been missing almost ten years. That just shows me a lot of expertise in evaluating talent and character.

Plus - he's a cool dude.
    Those first two drafts (2009,2010) we pretty much got two first round picks. We got some outstanding value. Our FO obviously knows how to draft and at the very least we are the best drafting FO in the NFC West which is the most important.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=richtree;388716]James Laurinitis fell to Round 2, after the previous year he was projected as a top 10 pick. The Rams really did nothing but sit and wait, and luckily JL fell to them......

Everything looks great now, but just remember he fell to us (by luck)....thank god..[/QUOTE]

Lucky for us, sure. But it wasn't like the other teams were spinning a draft wheel of fortune. Other teams passed him up for whatever reason. Much like Saffold <LUCKY :-)>, in hindsight, those two would never have made it to the second round. The RAMs FO were not just fortunate, they were on top of it and smart enough to take advantage. In JL case, the front office was also smart for taking him instead of Ray.
    Semper Fi!

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

He decided to stay in school....Many had him in the 7-10 range. He had ok year before coming out and with such a deep LB draft, he fell....couple that with many teams wanting a 3-4 backer or a OLB...he slide all the way down...

Mocks the prior year had him as early as 5 or 6....
    Cool. Unfortunately, I can't really get into college football, so I always have to go by what other people are saying about the players coming out of the draft. But, it is good to hear that he was so highly regarded. Now if he can just get that kind of recognition in the NFL. At least us Rams fans know the truth.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Except you forget to mention the Rams had a choice between him and Rey Maualuga and a lot of fans were clamoring, as is usual, for the "name" player in Rey, but the Rams, for reasons unknown, went against (GASP) the will of the all-knowing fans and picked Laurinitis. Thank goodness we have football guys who don't read these boards and listen to idiots like me

swatter555 is offline Registered User

In the NFL, getting deep into the playoffs is just about the only "proving" that matters. Time will tell on that one.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Except you forget to mention the Rams had a choice between him and Rey Maualuga and a lot of fans were clamoring, as is usual, for the "name" player in Rey, but the Rams, for reasons unknown, went against (GASP) the will of the all-knowing fans and picked Laurinitis. Thank goodness we have football guys who don't read these boards and listen to idiots like me
    Yeah, both were touted as first-round caliber and the Rams WERE lucky to have them fall. I would've loved to have the "sexy" pick in Maualuga, but the Rams were smart and took the safe pick. Now it's not even close. Laurinaitis may never be an ultra-talented MLB who devastates the opposing offense, but he's smart as hell and will be a good, consistent leader for years to come. He's the QB of the defense. May not be flashy, but he is son of Animal, and his jersey is next on my list.