Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: All this talk about the Colts D

Instead of comparing defenses, how about comparing QB's?
    Honestly, Peyton is good. Real good.
    But, if I had to choose ONE QB in the NFL to go against him, it would be Marc Bulger, provided each QB has thier top two WR's in the game.
    This is what I will be watching come Monday: Who is the better QB? Marc or Peyton (and I am not talking total TD's, but just all-around QB).

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    Instead of comparing defenses, how about comparing QB's?
    This thread isnt about comparing defenses. It's just pointing out that Indys D looks great right now but since they havn't played anyone with a good offense then it's really hard to say of they are for real. Seems like everyone has jumped on the Colts D bandwagon before they have proven that they are a powerhouse.

LongSackTheClown is offline Registered User

I think he perfectly realizes it. Are Colts fans saying we're better than the '85 Bears. No. Is he correct in that our ppg allowed is far lower than them? Yes. No Indy fan has ever thought or even wanted the leagues best defense. We just wanted a defense that could put us over the top. We think we've found it this year.
    Your signature was edited by a moderator because it is inappropriate for this website.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LongSackTheClown
    I think he perfectly realizes it. Are Colts fans saying we're better than the '85 Bears. No. Is he correct in that our ppg allowed is far lower than them? Yes. No Indy fan has ever thought or even wanted the leagues best defense. We just wanted a defense that could put us over the top. We think we've found it this year.

All I'm really saying is when you shut down a couple great offenses then you have found it.

Like I said earlier we thought we really had improved our run D, but when we actually played a couple teams with RB talent we were brought back down to earth fast. So hopefully most Colt fans realize who you have played so far but it seems like Swing hasn't.

If you do end up with a top 5 defense this year then congrats, but until the end of the season it's real hard to toot the Colts D horn yet.

hoosier is offline Registered User

This is my first post here and I gotta say this is a great looking forum. One more thing, Prayers are with your coach and team.
    Now, about the colts D. We all know the teams we've played so far are not at the same level the rams are when it comes to offense. Another way to look at the stats MW posted is that every team we've played has been held to at least 10 points below their average. A couple of them have been in the 20 point range. The two TD's came in the fourth quarter after the outcome was decided.

There are so many factors contributing to the defensive numbers for the colts. One of course is that at least three of the teams we've played so far have chosen the "slow death" method of playing defense against us.
    They are dropping 7 and 8 back to defend the big play. It's effective but it also allows us to run the ball and use the clock. With Edge and our Oline that is a game we'll win most of the time. It also takes scoring oppurtunities away from the opposing offense, making our D look very good.

The D is designed to get pressure on the QB without blitzing and to this point it has been very successful. Before Sunday against the fortyniners I think the colts had blitzed one time. With the rookie starting a few blitzes were run just for his benefit.

I really think the key to the game is the rams Oline. Freeney is exceedingly quick but so is Mathis. Both could have taken a handoff instead of the running back this year.

To be honest I'm really looking forward to this game but it also scares me. Most colt fans want to believe we have a really good defense, a defense that can win games when the offense can't. If we hold the rams 10 or more points below their average I'll really start believing we have a special D here. If not, well, I guess there's always next year.

hoosier

Good luck and here's to no hurts on either side
    Last edited by hoosier; -10-12-2005 at 09:10 PM.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Welcome hoosier, nice first post. The second ranked Ram offense, one of the few bright spots for us this year, should give Colt fans an idea of just how good that defense really is.

thoey is offline Registered User

Really nice post from a proud, but objective fan. All around, I am pretty sure the Colts are a better team than the RAMS. But, as they say, on any given Sunday (or Monday)...

Hey, we gotta hope...

EDIT: Good point laram0
    Last edited by thoey; -10-13-2005 at 03:01 PM.
    This space for rent...

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

How about on any given Monday ?

C'mon RAMS get er dun !

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I don't think the offense will have problems against the cover 2. In fact Bulger should be able to pick them apart if we have a solid run game.

The BIG question will be the D. If they show up and can cause some turnovers we have a very good chance of pulling this one out.:clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    I don't think the offense will have problems against the cover 2. In fact Bulger should be able to pick them apart if we have a solid run game.

The BIG question will be the D. If they show up and can cause some turnovers we have a very good chance of pulling this one out.:clanram:
    Just like against Seattle, I think turnovers will be key to any success. We have to win the turnover battle. Could be tough though as Indy is +5 and we're -6. The whiners were able to keep things relatively close into the fourth quarter by forcing a James fumble and 2 Manning interceptions, so the possibility is there.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LongSackTheClown
    Oh it's way to early to compare the Bears 85' team to the Colts already,but the point made and I think is a good one is a D' to get them over the top. The colts may make it to the dance with this D, only to lose to a stronger D from the NFC! That's my thought.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68

And I think that is why ,in the last few years, the Rams are kept in this higher place by beating a team like the colts on mondaynite. It wouldn't surprise me a bit. Just when these guys are down and out, they pull one off. Which in my opinion keeps them in that upper class of teams which I know they are not!

RealRam is offline Registered User

MUST bring our defense back to life! :angryram:

DEFENSE! ... DEFENSE! ... DEFENSE!

:clanram:

MNF. As special guests on the Rams sideline, let's invite Jack Youngblood, Jack Pardee, Rosie Grier, Eddie Meador, Nolan Cormwell, Irv Cross, Merlin Olsen, Maxie Baughan, Doug Woodlief, Roger Brown, The Deacon... [1967: fewest points allowed in the NFL (Rams offense also scored the most that year)]

:1:

I'm all for letting them play. They would probably do a better job!:tongue:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12