demiurge is offline Registered User

All-time Ram team

Sure this has been done a few times before, but here's my take.

Criteria - not just a player at each position, but pretty much an entire roster.

Must have played 3 years with the Rams, OR set a major record as a member of the Rams if they played less than three years. Also known as the Night Train Lane Rule.

Without further ado:

Rams

QB: Norm Van Brocklin, Roman Gabriel, Kurt Warner, Bob Waterfield
    RB: Marshall Faulk, Eric Dickerson, Lawerence McCutcheon, Jon Arnett, Ollie Matson
    FB: Dick Bass, Tank Younger
    WR: Crazy Legs Hirsch, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Henry Ellard, Harold Jackson, Flipper Anderson, Jack Snow
    TE: Tom Feers, Jim Benton, Billy Truax
    OT: Jackie Slater, Orlando Pace, Doug France, Charlie Cowan
    OG: Tom Mack, Dennis Harrah, Kent Hill, Tom Newberry, Duane Putnam
    OC: Dennis Smith, Rich Saul

DE: Deacon Jones, Jack Youngblood, Andy Robustelli, Kevin Carter, Fred Dreyer
    DT: Merlin Olsen, Larry Brooks, D’Marco Farr, Rosey Grier

OLB: Isiaah Robertson, Kevin Greene, Leonard Little, Mike Wilcher, Maxie Baughn

MLB: Les Richter, London Fletcher, Hacksaw Reynolds
    CB: Night Trane Lane, Jerry Gray, LeRoy Irvin, Rod Perry, Pat Thomas, Todd Lyght
    FS: Ed Meador, Aeneas Williams, Keith Lyle

SS: Nolan Cromwell, Dave Elmendorf

K: Wilkins
    P: Van Brocklin
    KR: Arnett, Matson
    P.R.: Arnett

With notable mentions going to Bob Brown (only 2 years a Ram), Jim Everett, and Jerome Bettis.

Ollie Matson would rank higher, but his years as a Ram weren't particularly very good compared to the rest of his career.

Comments welcome!
    Last edited by HUbison; -04-07-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: All-time Ram team

Awesome list.
    You have Leonard Little as an OLB though. He did play that in college, but as far as I know, he's been a pure DE for us.
    But it looks like you are talking about moving players to where you see fit, and if that is the case, it's fine. I think he would have been a great LB for us, but he's also been a heck of a DE at times (and hopefully again this year).

RealRam is offline Registered User

Alright Demiurge. I'll be back. And Welcome to the Clan! :bash:

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    Awesome list.
    You have Leonard Little as an OLB though. He did play that in college, but as far as I know, he's been a pure DE for us.
    But it looks like you are talking about moving players to where you see fit, and if that is the case, it's fine. I think he would have been a great LB for us, but he's also been a heck of a DE at times (and hopefully again this year).

Nope, you are right, Keenum, I missed that. He should be moved to DE, and probably take Dreyer's place.

In which case you'd need another OLB for depth. Jim Youngblood would probably be my next choice.

There's a few where I just didn't know enough to make a position analysis, such as the difference between a strong safety and free safety on some of the older players. Actually I don't think that was necessarily even valid back in the 50s and 60s - it was generally left safety and right safety IIRC.

Linebacker is one position where the all-time Rams team is only really average (when compared to other all-time teams that is).

Les Richter and Isiaah Robertson were both big time players, but weren't really considered elite, even with the massive amounts of awards they recieved (Richter was an 8 time pro bowler, Robertson 6). Of course, Robertson is most famous for getting plastered by Earl Campbell, which hurts his reputation. IIRC though he recovered and knocked Campbell out of the game with a bone bruise on his thigh. Richter had impossible expectations placed on him, after being traded for 11 players. He certainly was very, very good - some of the older books I read though said he was overrated.

Kevin Greene only made the Pro Bowl once as a Ram (is that really possible? LOL), but was named to the 1990s All-Decade Team. Of course, he made 5 pro bowls all together, it may have been he just didn't have enough of a rep in his early days.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Fears and benton belong on the list, but they were both wide receivers not tight ends.

I would add eberle schulz, a first team all pro as an offensive tackle. Also, riley the rattlesnake matheson as a guard. You missed larry brink as a defensive end and johnny drake as a fullback. Waterfield, rather than van brocklin should be the punter.

Leon Mclaughlin and stan west are also offensive linemen that you should look at. Lamar Lundy should be on the list.

We have had so many great offensive guards and tackles, its tough to call. Pankey, scibelli. Cullen bryant bears consideration strongly at fullback. Did you have both tank younger and deacon dan towler? What about dick hoerner and jim gillette?

Weakest historical postion for the rams is tight end. I would add ernie conwell to the list.

I dont think flipper belongs on the list, we had way too many hof caliber receivers and he was good, but not that good. Jim Phillips would be a better choice to add to the list.

Two guys that HAVE to be on the list for pure warrior quality are tom nutten and carl ekern. For spirituality, add fred gehrke, who invented the horns.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Last edited by general counsel; -04-07-2008 at 01:16 PM.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

No Aenas Williams? otherwise really good list you got here

curleyski is offline Registered User

Cool Re: All-time Ram team

i have to include TOM NEWBERRY as one of the best all time rams. this guy was a BEAST and ANEAUS WILLIAMS has to be included also. i think if TOBY WRIGHT wouldn't have gotten hurt so early in his career he might have been on this list too. there are alot more that i will get to later on. is there a list for the best "HIT" on another player? VINCE NEWSOME knocking ****** TOM RATHMAN silly was a great highlight for me, seeing him trying to figure out where he was and fumbling the ball too!!:l