Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: With all the uncertainty, there's only one thing I'm certain of...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: With all the uncertainty, there's only one thing I'm certain of...

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    The Rams have had a history an culture of losing. I don't know if there's much the team can do to fix it.
    Only if you don't know history. Look up their combined record from 1970-1989 and then get back to me.

I think its amusing (translation: absurd) that people are declaring that Rodger Saffold is not an NFL LT. He was two months ago! Now, all of a sudden, he's not?

Did you ever consider that maybe, just maybe... a short offseason during which he had a minor back injury while the Rams were installing a new offensive system that was lacking in credible threats at WR until game 7 may have something to do with his downturn in performance?

Nah! Just call him a bust and spend another wad of $$$ on an OT. Because, we all know...good teams all have high draft choices playing OT.

(Note: this is sarcasm font)

The Rams need to work on improving their O line.
    They need to prioritize getting faster and more dangerous.

Tampa_Ram, GolfnRAMFAN and RKDfan like this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    The Rams have had a history an culture of losing. I don't know if there's much the team can do to fix it.
    Come on man, that's not the way to think.? This team CAN turn it around with the right help brought in.!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think its amusing (translation: absurd) that people are declaring that Rodger Saffold is not an NFL LT. He was two months ago! Now, all of a sudden, he's not?

Did you ever consider that maybe, just maybe... a short offseason during which he had a minor back injury while the Rams were installing a new offensive system that was lacking in credible threats at WR until game 7 may have something to do with his downturn in performance?

Nah! Just call him a bust and spend another wad of $$$ on an OT. Because, we all know...good teams all have high draft choices playing OT.

(Note: this is sarcasm font)

The Rams need to work on improving their O line.
    They need to prioritize getting faster and more dangerous.

He is a NFL tackle... he just not a franchise LT. He was drafted to play RT, Sure he played LT last year because the LT we drafted is a BUST! No where did I say that he was a bust as you stated.
    Nah! Just call him a bust
    In fact I say he can play RT for us!!!

Smith is the miss, not Saffold. It's hard to draft another OT with a high draft pick when we just did it with Smith. It funny really just about the time big O hang them up, we starting going down hill fast.

This could be a factor for Rodger Saffold play, but its not just about Rodger Saffold. If we can get a franchise LT and move Rodger Saffold to RT why pass? If as you state Rodger Saffold is going to be a solid LT then he surely will play well at RT. In short i can't pass on a true franchise LT and not upgrade the O line by replacing Smith with Rodger Saffold. If Roger beat him out at LT he will do the same at RT.

We had a young SJ, Holt and Marc and you know what, without a great O-line they did not win too many games. Marc got beaten down and SJ got beaten up. Having play maker is great, having a crappy O line will hold us back for years IMO.

we all know...good teams all have high draft choices playing OT.
    OT Orlando Pace out of Ohio State was drafted in 1997 by the Rams in round 1 (#1 overall)

I think we won a SB in 1999, not sure.

(Note: this is not sarcasm)
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-07-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    Richbert88 and RKDfan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If we can get a franchise LT and move Rodger Saffold to RT why pass?
    Because we have a far greater need for playmakers than we do for a "franchise" LT.

OT Orlando Pace out of Ohio State was drafted in 1997 by the Rams in round 1 (#1 overall)

I think we won a SB in 1999, not sure.
    I think that team had a few playmakers. Not sure.
    Tampa_Ram, Ramone and RKDfan like this.

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

Yes we do need Playmakers, Justin Blackmon would be nice,...but also, we suck for letting a NO NAME QB, make big plays Late, both running and throwing. Skeletor or what ever was making play after play..

Fastcat is offline Registered User

All this talk about drafting a tackle in the 1st round is a joke, we wont do it and frankly dont need to. We've used 2 high round picks on tackles in 2yrs. You have to give them time to develop. Smith my be on his way out though but as long as he's healthy he will get the opportunity. They are not bad players they just cant block consistantly for 5secs. It has everything to do with scheme and coaching. Coaches but players in posistion to succeed (sp?) And its clearly not happening. last year showed us that.... Different coach and scheme (oc comes up with oline schemes). For the life of me idk why when sam is qb they dont move the pocket or design roll out passes.... Feeley got that luxury in his 2 starts. And its not cuz bradfords ankle is hurt..... They havent done it all year but maybe a handfull of times. And remember last yr when sam rolled out... He was accurate and even said he liked to do it? Its all coaching and scheme, if smith is healthy and goes to another team he may be a borderline all pro
    Last edited by Fastcat; -11-07-2011 at 03:58 PM.
    Tampa_Ram and RKDfan like this.

Because we have a far greater need for playmakers than we do for a "franchise" LT.

[I]

I think that team had a few playmakers. Not sure.

I'm not saying we don't need playmakers of course we do... I hear some many time in this board that SJ can't do all that he's capable of doing as a playmaker due to the lack of holes to run through.

I'm not sure how a deep threat can make plays down field if Sam is on his back.

One other note: Pace was on the team before.... Marshal, Warner,Holt, AZ, Ricky... playmakers can be found... It all starts up front. IMO
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-07-2011 at 04:02 PM.
    RKDfan likes this.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

One other note: Pace was on the team before.... Marshal, Warner,Holt, AZ, Ricky... playmakers can be found... It all starts up front. IMO
    I agree with this. I think Saffold could stay and improve. And playmakers are a must but we need some new offensive lineman at the Guard position.

Detroit has had success playing the first round for a while, we should also. We have to build for this type of offense i don't think its a bad idea to do so. Even though we couldn't score points, we can't expect to bring in an Offensive Coordinator then go to the Superbowl especially with how complex the spread offense is. We need time, and we need new guards and an offensive tackle. Im not sure how Brown is holding up at center, hes not bad but hes not spectacular. We need to keep trying to build. Changing all the coaches will be strange for the players in my humble opinion.

We also need like a BJ raji type or Suh type guy to strike fear in the hearts of quarterbacks. In light of all this if we lose to the browns omg...
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -11-07-2011 at 05:42 PM.

I'm not saying we don't need playmakers of course we do...
    That's the point, though. We agree that the Rams need playmakers and need to improve the OL. But there's only going to be one chance to take a player with a top 10 (quite possibly top 5) selection. I'd use that on a playmaker (WR, most likely) and wait until later rounds to try to find more OL.

I think that its noteworthy that the Rams OL has generally been okay in run blocking (failure in short yardage yesterday aside). The Rams are 18th in rushing yards per game (ahead of such teams as Baltimore, Pittsburgh and the New York Jets) and tied for 10th in the NFL in yards per carry (4.5).

The pass blocking has been very bad, but having playmakers who can catch a quick slant or a hitch and take it to the house will help in that regard.

That's the point, though. We agree that the Rams need playmakers and need to improve the OL. But there's only going to be one chance to take a player with a top 10 (quite possibly top 5) selection. I'd use that on a playmaker (WR, most likely) and wait until later rounds to try to find more OL.

I think that its noteworthy that the Rams OL has generally been okay in run blocking (failure in short yardage yesterday aside). The Rams are 18th in rushing yards per game (ahead of such teams as Baltimore, Pittsburgh and the New York Jets) and tied for 10th in the NFL in yards per carry (4.5).

The pass blocking has been very bad, but having playmakers who can catch a quick slant or a hitch and take it to the house will help in that regard.
    Fair enough one thing is for sure we can't miss on another high first round pick, whoever we take.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

As much as I'd love a Kalil, a Blackmon could take this team further down the road. A big play wideout next to a reliable route runner in Llyod might just be enough for the offense and Bradford to score TOUCHDOWNS.

I'm not sure wether we need a new offensive line coach or a more west coast like scheme on offense, but the amount of $ spent at the O line position thus far makes me believe the unit as a whole is underachieving with a combination of poor coaching. The unit has room to improve, so no overhaul is needed just yet, the OTs are still young.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Rodger Saffold, as of right now is not a franchise LT. There is no way. He does not have the strength and size to effectively lock down that blind-side.

Every single game, Saffold gets bullied by the bull-rush. Calais Campbell made him look like a little boy yesterday.

Matt Kalil would be a nice pick, but we aren't going to win any games without athletic players that give our team a spark, and edge.

You want a dominant, fierce LB? Vontaze Burfict.

You want a speedy, quick playmaking WR? Justin Blackmon.

You want a Danario Alexander type without the injuries? Alshon Jeffery.

You want a huge scary strong NT? Alameda Ta'amu.

You want a physical, aggressive CB? Dre Kirkpatrick.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Many thoughts. First of all, I cannot second guess Devaney's thinking the past two years which was this: "We have a lot of holes to fill. This team is in bad shape.The sound thing to do is to draft quantity to fill immediate needs instead of blowing a draft pick on one "gamebreaker" type who may or may not be worth the money. I'm gonna select who we hope will be the franchise QB with the number 1 pick. I'm also gonna' build from the inside out, meaning I'm taking a tackle and spending a lot of money on the O-line to protect that QB. All of this is sound philosophy. The problem is, it hasn't shown dividends. The receivers have ranged from unproductive to injured to underachievers. And the line has been a disappointment. Both of these factors have led to Bradfrord taking a beating and not being as productive as he should be and needs to be. And this is a big reason we're not performing well.

At this point, we need a game breaker at the receiver position. There is not a person on this forum or in all of America that can tell me that a game breaker plus Clayton, Amendola, Lloyd, Gibson, Pettis, Salas and Kendricks isn't enough. There are a dozen teams in this league that are winning with a lot less. These guys have to stay healthy, pure and simple.

I also find it amusing that people like to constantly second guess the draft. Every year, Kiper and every other prognosticator have mock drafts for the first couple of rounds, and usually the first 10-15 picks hold true to form. Selecting Sam Bradford and Chris Long weren't surprises. Selecting a big, highly regarded offensive tackle was not a surprise. Yet some fans would have us believe that Devaney and the Rams are out of their minds for selecting each.

I still feel the Rams- though not loaded with talent- should be better. And the reason they're not is because of the shortcomings of the coaching staff. You cannot dominate a game like we did yesterday only to find another way to lose. You cannot lose 31 of the 40 games you've coached and expect any fan base to have confidence in your ability to bring this team to respectability. You cannot make the same mistakes with clock management, vanilla play calling at critical spots and an inability to make halftime adjustments and expect there to be overwhelming support for your efforts.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

Exactly, a playmaker can win the game for you. Look at yesterday, Arizona did nothing all game. Then basically one play won it for them.

If you look back the last few years, there have been other bad offensive teams that had a playmaker have big runs and win games again and again.

We also need more speed. Amendola and Salas are decent at the return game, but they aren't that fast, so they aren't really a threat. I don't think Amendola has ever run one back.
    Last edited by md8; -11-07-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast