throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: For all you Bartell haters out there.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

For all you Bartell haters out there.

When the players reported to Rams Park a week ago after the lockout, coach Steve Spagnuolo made sure he spoke to veteran cornerback Ron Bartell.

"The first thing I did was thank him," Spagnuolo said. "I told him how proud I was of the leadership he showed."

In early June during the lockout, Bartell organized player-only workouts in the Phoenix area with some help from linebacker James Laurinaitis and quarterback Sam Bradford. And that's why Spagnuolo was proud of Bartell. But Spagnuolo didn't know the full story.

Not only did Bartell put out the welcome mat for his teammates in the Valley of the Sun, he put a roof over their heads. Bartell, whose offseason home is in the Phoenix area, paid the hotel bill for about 30 teammates who worked out there.

"I found a nice hotel in Scottsdale," Bartell said. "They gave me a really good deal for all the rooms, and just took care of it like that."

The players arrived on a Wednesday, and worked out Thursday, Friday and Saturday. So it was at least three nights' worth of hotel bills for Bartell.

"That goes above and beyond," Spagnuolo said. "I give him a lot of credit for that."
    "He put us up in a real nice hotel," rookie wide receiver Greg Salas said. "That was real generous of him. It's just the kind of veteran he is. I don't really know him that well, but he's taking charge and he got everybody together and we got a lot of work in there."

Besides the work on the field, the players spent a lot of time together afterward. This was different from the Lindenwood University workouts in late May in St. Charles, when to a large degree, the veteran players went to their homes, apartments, or condos after practice.

"Ron wanted everyone to come out to Arizona, and to be honest with you it was great team bonding," Laurinaitis said. "Everybody was right next to each other in the hotel. The rooms were right next to each other. So it was kind of fun to get together, with just everyone joking with each other and having a good time. I think we got a lot of actual team chemistry done in that little trip. It was good."

Even with the players having roommates Salas roomed with fellow rookie wideout Austin Pettis the Arizona adventure probably cost Bartell at least a couple of grand.
    "Yeah, it set me back a little bit, but I'll be OK," Bartell laughed. "I figured if I was going to ask everybody to come out there and take time out of their schedule, the least I could do was take care of the accommodations."

In Arizona, the players spent time together around the pool and watched the Miami Heat in the NBA playoffs on TV. Salas, meanwhile, said he did not try to take advantage of Bartell's largesse by ordering room service.

Now, with the lockout over and the team re-assembled at Rams Park, Arizona is a distant memory. The grind of training camp became real Monday with the team practicing for the better part of three hours in blistering heat in full pads.

"It comes with the territory as far as the grind of training camp and everything," Bartell said. "But it's good to get back to work. I mean, we've been champing at the bit. Last season kind of left a bitter taste in our mouths when we felt we were so close to accomplishing something big. So guys were ready and willing to get back to work. Just to be able to be around the guys even the coaches it's been fun."
    Bartell chuckled when he mentioned the coaches.

As he enters his seventh season with the Rams, Bartell has been through his share of coaches and seen dozens of players come and go. As a 2005 draft pick, he now ranks third on the Rams' seniority list, behind only long snapper Chris Massey (2002 draft) and running back Steven Jackson (2004).

"It's kind of crazy," Bartell said. "I walked into the locker room (in '05) just after the Greatest Show on Turf days, and the locker room has changed. The whole building has changed. But I think it's changed for the better. Coach Spags has brought a new culture to the team. It's proven around the league. It worked in New York when he was there. It worked in Philly when he was there. So change is always good."
    Bartell likes the free agency moves the team has made and hopes this is the year he experiences his first winning season in St. Louis.
    "As a player, I just want to keep improving," Bartell said. "But I'm all about the team. I want to win."
    This summer, he put his money where his mouth is.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: For all you Bartell haters out there.

I don't think anyone who is a Rams fan is a Bartell hater, in fact everyone knows he is a great team player and a great cover corner. I think people just wanna see him pick the ball off!!

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Lol im a bartell hater i must admit.... So let me hate a little, that article just says he appears to be a good leader, thats cool but thaat doesnt translate into picking the ball off or not getting burned deep. He sure isnt a great cover corner, not even good but serviceable imo, and no one outside of rams fans probable know his name besides the wrs that lick their chops when they come to town. But i gotta admit he is the best corner on the team. I also have to admit that im alittle biased about bartell also, my friend has been a big fan and im an donny avery fan and everytime he gets hurt it gets rubbed in my face. So every mistakme bartell makes i probably magnify it lol.... Sour bitterness
    txramsfan likes this.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Lol im a bartell hater i must admit.... So let me hate a little, that article just says he appears to be a good leader, thats cool but thaat doesnt translate into picking the ball off or not getting burned deep. He sure isnt a great cover corner, not even good but serviceable imo, and no one outside of rams fans probable know his name besides the wrs that lick their chops when they come to town. But i gotta admit he is the best corner on the team. I also have to admit that im alittle biased about bartell also, my friend has been a big fan and im an donny avery fan and everytime he gets hurt it gets rubbed in my face. So every mistakme bartell makes i probably magnify it lol.... Sour bitterness
    Larry Fitzgerald has called Ron Bartell the best corner he had ever gone up against. Spags has said in multiple interviews that he thinks Bartell is excellent corner. Thats two high profile people that would know how to judge a corner better then you can disagreeing with you. I think I will take their word for it.
    Edit: spelling

Fastcat is offline Registered User

I admitted to bein biased....

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Bartell is a solid cover corner. He rarely gets beat. And as O1d said Larry Fitz said every time he plays him its really tough. I love having Bartell and he is severely underrated just because he doesn't get interceptions.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

He's on my short list for next jersey to purchase.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I hate Bartell! Falco is a much better quarterback, with HEART!!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

richtree is offline Registered User

The Rams Secondary is fine. I think Murphy will really, really blossom with the addition of Harris there to help mentor him as the Nickel/speed guy.

As long as we get some pass rush from our DT on the passing downs we will be fine. Bartell is not a worry for me.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

There was an article from Football outsiders I belive that pretty much showed that Bartell was the 5th best cover corner last year of all corners who had 35 or more passes thrown their way. That puts him at 7th overall, since Samuel and Nnamdi didn't make that 35 passes cut.

He IS a good cover corner, much, much better than he gets credit for, even if he doesn't make a ton of picks.
    I believe!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Bartell Hater Town?

Where all the women are cross-eyed & the children are below average.
    mikhal5569 likes this.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Ok, he's a decent corner. However, this is a reason WHY he is a corner and not a WR. He has feet for hands.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Ok, he's a decent corner. However, this is a reason WHY he is a corner and not a WR. He has feet for hands.
    Understatement of the century???

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Understatement of the century???
    I don't understand comments like this.

Bartell has played hard for the Rams for several years, including during times when he was injured. He has been an above average cover-corner. He has emerged as a team leader who was intrumental in organizing offseason workouts during the lockout.

But, instead of focusing on all of that, some of you would rather make a couple of dropped interceptions Bartell's defining characteristic.

Here's a news flash. Peyton Manning throws interceptions every season. Larry Fitzgerald drops passes every now and then. Chris Johnson sometimes gets tackled in the backfield. Ray Lewis misses tackles once in a while.

There are no perfect players in the NFL.

Bartell does not deserve to be defined by his mistakes.
    laram0 and Torry Holt like this.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    I hate Bartell! Falco is a much better quarterback, with HEART!!
    LOL, just watched that a couple days ago ... K.Reeves cant act to save his life.

But seriously, Bartell is a great cover corner, without all the flash, he gets the job done, a few better ones out there in the League but there are more corners that are worse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast