Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bruce4life is offline Registered User

alston and simeon rice...

i believe these 2 guys could of helped us big time this year... i know rice may still be injured but he could of brought a nice pass rush... alston is still growing leaps and bounds

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Alston and Simeon Rice...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce4life View Post
    I believe these 2 guys could have helped us big time this year... I know Rice may still be injured but he could have brought a nice pass rush... Alston is still growing leaps and bounds.
    You're right, Alston will continue to grow and probably will make one or two of our coaches sorry they let him go. I'm thinking the Raiders will slide him into their roster this season, i.e., sooner than later.

Rice. I don't know that much about him in terms of his last couple of seasons (besides checking cold stats). My view is that we have a good deal of potential at DE with the five current names listed.

Let's see if we can make that potential produce! :bash:

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Re: alston and simeon rice...

Coach Linehan can't seem to help it, he will always think with an offensive mind.
    4 TEs, 4 RBs, an Army of Receivers.
    He's like 'Damn the Defense!' we're just going to have a 'Shoot Out' with everyboby.
    Here's to the GSOT II (Linehan Style) Just a full offensive assult against the league ala '99~03'.
    I feel ya, Coach Linehan, who needs Rice and Alston when we have all these GUNZ on offense we're carrying!
    Although, Linehan didn't show his hand during the preseason (offensively), He's about ready to release the DOGGSS, as the the dawn of the new season nears.
    WATCH OUT NFL, THE RAMS ARE ROLLIN' TO TOWN!....just keep the Defense off the field!:imho:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

the Rams looked long and hard at Rice and if he was going to be signed two things had to be right:

1) He had to be back to fitness or at least close enough that a couple of practices would have him back to normal

2) He had to come for the right money

seeing as how he wasnt even offered a contract, i feel he wasnt back to fitness enough for Linehan/Haslett's liking

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Coach Linehan can't seem to help it, he will always think with an offensive mind.
    4 TEs, 4 RBs, an Army of Receivers.
    He's like 'Damn the Defense!' we're just going to have a 'Shoot Out' with everyboby.
    Here's to the GSOT II (Linehan Style) Just a full offensive assult against the league ala '99~03'.
    I feel ya, Coach Linehan, who needs Rice and Alston when we have all these GUNZ on offense we're carrying!
    Although, Linehan didn't show his hand during the preseason (offensively), He's about ready to release the DOGGSS, as the the dawn of the new season nears.
    WATCH OUT NFL, THE RAMS ARE ROLLIN' TO TOWN!....just keep the Defense off the field!:imho:
    That isn't the Linehan I've seen. Seems to me that we've played most of our games close with Linehan. We don't leap out to an early lead very often, and I think he'd rather grind the clock down than bomb it deep. The strange thing is that so far we haven't really seen him using the tight ends the way he has talked about using them either.

I think Linehan wants to have a balanced team that can win with defense when it has to. At least we made Rice an offer. As far as Alston goes, Linehan probably figured he couldn't justify carrying 8 linebackers and 5 defensive ends.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Frankly, the Rams dont have the receiving corps to "bomb it deep" anymore. Holt has been on the record saying he isnt anymore than 70-80% healthy (and may not be all year) and there really is no legit deep threat at WR beside a HEALTHY Holt. Bruce is 35 and Bennett isnt a real speedy guy. This is a short/intermediate range passing team....which is fine. Most long gains will likely be a result of RAC.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The trouble with that is it won't be easy to win shoot-outs if we can't score quickly. I hope these long sustained drives we've been seeing in the pre-season games aren't representative of what we're going to see in the regular season. If it takes you 12 or 14 plays just to get into the redzone, there's a higher chance of something going wrong. I don't think our lack of pre-season scoring is coincidental.

1st & Goal is offline Registered User

Regardless of how many pawns we have on the offence. Someone will be sitting out each and every week. Pittman will not see much playing time, since he does not know the system. Although, he was a good choice to pick up. More upside that the other backs we had in camp. Just a question for those who have been folloing the roster. Who will the inactives be?
    "I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

Rice-we offered him a contract but he took the the better deal(broncos)
    Alston-at times he looked good in the preseason but othertimes he looked really bad. He did not contain on a play that resulted in a 55yard run in the Chiefs game and from what I read that was not the first time he did that in preseason. Did he play well on S.T.? I didn't see him making any tackles on covering punts and kickoffs-so maybe he didn't play all that great.
    I am not really suprised with our roster so far except for the 4RB.

PS we need a backup tackle!!! Brown and Goldberg suck!:\

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    i believe these 2 guys could of helped us big time this year... i know rice may still be injured but he could of brought a nice pass rush... alston is still growing leaps and bounds
    Rice would have been a luxury, icing on the cake so to speak. Alston had his chances, and failed to impress in the area where we need the most help defensively: the point of attack. GC has pointed out correctly that he is undersized -- a linebacker in a safety's body. If you are not where you are supposed to be and you are missing assignments you are a liability -- plain and simple. In Alston's case he was just a faster than average liability. Who knows? Maybe he will develop into a fine player for somone, but he was not what the Rams needed today. Apparently Culberson and McGarigle are .. in the coaches eyes anyway.

"Linebacker. Jon Alston is a great athlete and a potential special teams weapon. But the Rams must become stronger at the point of attack. Alston failed in that department -– missing key gap assignments during the preseason -– so the team kept middle linebacker prospect Quinton Culberson instead."
    http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...0?OpenDocument

denverram is offline Registered User

I think that letting Alston go was a big mistake. This is a guy who has a hole bunch of upside. I hope we were planning on signing this guy to our practice squad and it just did not work out. I am a big fan of smart players. Alston is a smart player.

This is a good get for the Raiders.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post

PS we need a backup tackle!!! Brown and Goldberg suck!:\
    Agreed. Who cares about Alston and Rice as backups when we have MUCH larger needs here.

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Agreed. Who cares about Alston and Rice as backups when we have MUCH larger needs here.
    Thank you RebelYell, why are we worried about Alston? the Rams showded no interest in signing him to the PRACTICE squad!! what does that tell you? You guys think Alston will be a good player in the future-maybe but how long can we wait, and he plays weakside LB thats Pisa position and Pisa just got a contract extension.

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

When I saw that Alston was cut I was disapointed, but after I decided to be confident about Linehan and the coaching staff. A lot of player are great athletes but football is a sport with a lot of intangibles, we need real football players and not just amazing athletes. Alston is undersized to be linebacker and doesn't have skills to play safety (he was a DE in college football). Mc Carigle is not the best athlete on the field but he was a great player with great instinct in college football. The difference between a 4.4 forty yards dash or 4.7 forty yards dash is little (3 tenths of second...), a player with great instinct, great reaction and good reading (the keys for a LB are probably the most important things after tackle). Alston made a lot of mistakes during games, it's probably the main reason why he was cut.

PS : sorry if I made some mistakes, my english is not excellent yet
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Torry Holt View Post
    When I saw that Alston was cut I was disapointed, but after I decided to be confident about Linehan and the coaching staff. A lot of player are great athletes but football is a sport with a lot of intangibles, we need real football players and not just amazing athletes. Alston is undersized to be linebacker and doesn't have skills to play safety (he was a DE in college football). Mc Carigle is not the best athlete on the field but he was a great player with great instinct in college football. The difference between a 4.4 forty yards dash or 4.7 forty yards dash is little (3 tenths of second...), a player with great instinct, great reaction and good reading (the keys for a LB are probably the most important things after tackle). Alston made a lot of mistakes during games, it's probably the main reason why he was cut.
    PS : sorry if I made some mistakes, my english is not excellent yet
    Good point! If a player is running the wrong way just for a second, it won't matter what his forty time is. Most guys know which direction to run when being timed in the forty. On the other hand a player's ability to read and react correctly and subsequently take the right pursuit angle can make a 4.7 guy look pretty fast. I think it's called "playing fast."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast