Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Am i the last Kennedy fan left?

Call me crazy (as many of you have from time to time), but i am not ready to give up on jimmy kennedy yet. This is his first year at nose tackle and first year with a new coordinator/line coach. A year of adjustment.

I was among many of us who felt that kennedy was the single biggest "swing guy" on the defense and probably the whole team going into the year. We knew that without pickett, we were relying on kennedy to step up and be our run stuffer and that without dramatic improvement, we were going to be in deep deep trouble. Well, we certainly are pathetic against the run and it certainly doesnt seem as if there has been dramatic improvement from kennedy, although he does make a play from time to time.

Should i give up all remaining hope on kennedy? It takes time to learn the position after all. Drafting a defensive tackle is highly unlikely to solve anything in my view, its too tough a position for a rookie to play.

Help me out guys, our pathetic season is causing advanced dementia in my brain. Thank goodness for The Big Boy, who has truly been spectacular this season in the midst of all the crap.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Am i the last Kennedy fan left?

Not sure that I'd call myself a Kennedy fan, but I do have this nagging feeling that he's not as bad as some want to make him out to be. Clearly, he needs some help inside, and is not yet a true NT, but I've seen flashes from him that make me reluctant to send him packing. There's nothing worse than giving up on a guy too soon only to see him star for another team. I'm still annoyed that the Rams gave up on Drew Hill too soon.

Rambos is offline Registered User

GC what does our starting line look like next year? Little,Kennedy ? ?

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Kennedy has a fan in me!!! i still feel like he can contribute, give him more time

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

I will continue to support kennedy until he is off this team, I thin we need to give him time to develop
    Built RAM tough

RamOfDenmark Guest

I too felt Kennedy was the number one single factor that would determine how well our defense turned out this year before the season, how well he would play as a NT against the run looked to be *the* critical factor to me. By now we know how that turned out (we're still #32 in rushing defense I believe?), Kennedy and Glover both aren't doing anything except in very brief flashes, playing well in flashes and then allowing huge plays most of the time just won't cut it. Kennedy certainly has the size on paper to play NT, I'm just not seeing any of the bloodthirsty tenacity that you see from other guys like Stroud, Henderson etc. he plays soft for his size, passive too. You can make excuses all day about how our LB's are not making plays, or how our safeties can't tackle. Some of that is true, but in the end I believe the defensive line should always take the majority of credit/blame for how good your run defense is, it's the most important factor by far IMHO. Looking at the games I'm not seeing much from Glover or Kennedy either, they're just standing around in there until they're blocked out of the way, I'm not seeing much desire, hustle or intensity. So yeah, to me it looks like we drafted another dud. So am I ready to give up on Kennedy? It's close. We'll see how he develops next year, because I believe we'll still be stuck with him because of our lack of depth and also I believe his contracts still has 2 years remaining if I'm not mistaken. Who knows, maybe he'll suddenly develop into something next year, but I personally haven't really seen anything this year (or the previous years he's played) to indicate any major progress. So in conclusion I'm definitely looking at DT as one of my top priorities in the 1st round again this year (I wanted Ngata in the last draft), depending on the talent available when we pick a DE in the 1st could be a good move too (we also need to squeeze in a MLB, perhaps in the 2nd round).

P.S We should have kept Pickett, he may not have been a superstar or anything but he was still the best DT we had (which isn't saying much, but you go to war with the army you have...).

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

He defiantly needs some help; Glover is not the answer, and Worten is a project. If they could land someone like Hollis Thomas, it would be a huge upgrade.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

general counsel is offline Registered User

As far as our starting defensive line next year goes, i am thinking Leonard and the Gang of Three. Meaning, i have no idea other than leonard. The starting defensive end opposite leonard is not currently on our roster. We need to get a pass rusher on that side and victor is not that guy. At the tackles, i believe wroten will get a chance to win a job as will kennedy. I dont see kennedy being cut with time left on his rookie contract and a cap hit for cutting him. That means wroten and kennedy are in the mix, but i dont think either of them has a job at this time-very up in the air.

My early prediction as starters: Leonard Little, Larry Brooks, Alvin Wright or Mike Fanning and Fred Dryer. Youngbloods knees are shot.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

coy bacon Guest

"Am i the last Kennedy fan left?"
    Yes.

"Call me crazy"
    Ok, you're crazy.

"I was among many of us who felt that kennedy was the single biggest "swing guy"
    Yes he's big. How big is he? He swung and the swing broke!

"doesnt seem as if there has been dramatic improvement from kennedy"
    What? No improvement after 3 or is that 4 years? Surely you jest!

"Should i give up all remaining hope on kennedy?"
    Yes.

"our pathetic season is causing advanced dementia in my brain."
    What do you mean pathetic? The Rams are 12-1!

"Thank goodness for The Big Boy, who has truly been spectacular this season in the midst of all the crap."
    Yes, great burgers indeed. My favorite is the patty melt.

Ok,
    joking aside. I think Kennedy is probably average. Someone crunch some numbers. But he's a dissappointment as far as being a #1 draft pick. I think he'd be bad to dump him, but he's not earning his pay check.

sprtsmac Guest

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    My early prediction as starters: Leonard Little, Larry Brooks, Alvin Wright or Mike Fanning and Fred Dryer. Youngbloods knees are shot.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    In today's game how do you thing Dryer would hold up against the run. I'm sure he would be a pretty mean pass rusher, which would still help out our defense; but I am a little concerned about the run.

Country Guest

Jimmy is our best interior guy and holds up well against the double team. The problem with him is that he is inconsistant. On pley he stacks the double team and allows the play to be made, the next he gets pushed out of the hole. I think next year, Kennedy's 5th in the league, will be abig year for him.

MASSIVE Guest

Thumbs up Re: Am i the last Kennedy fan left?

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    Jimmy is our best interior guy and holds up well against the double team. The problem with him is that he is inconsistant. On pley he stacks the double team and allows the play to be made, the next he gets pushed out of the hole. I think next year, Kennedy's 5th in the league, will be abig year for him.
    Kennedy is useless and I will tell you why, He belives that his natural postion is not the NT and he fogets that his job is to occupy blockers but he only occupys one blocker-thats it-not two or more, Then he has the nerve to say in intervies that it is hard for him to play NT because he was so use to making plays at the other tackle position??? What plays is he talking about??? Did he forget that we actually see the games on TV. I dont see him making any plays at any position along the D-Line! The man has no heart, all he is is a very big BOY playing a mans game.:\

live4ramin is offline Registered User

You have got to be kidding...And I'll give Sadam one more year to make nice.

I agree Kennedy is a swing man.... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I do want to contribute the first thirty-seven dollars (American) towards the hiring of a hit-man.

Have you seen the guy? He's made of cake batter.

Every run is coming his way. Just guess right or left....right or left....right....DHOooo.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -12-15-2006 at 02:29 PM. Reason: I said Jackson. My bad. I was on his butt last month.
    "The horror"

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm certainly not ready to give up on Kennedy. Two plays into the season he broke his hand, had a temporary cast put on and went right back into that game. The next day he had two pins put in his hand and a permanent cast replaced the temporary one. He continued to play but wasn't effective with the cast, so he had it removed and went with a padded linebackers glove and just took the pain. The guy has shown heart and hasn't missed a game all season. He deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Don't give up hope, just don't count on him to be part of a defensive resurgence anytime soon. I would suggest that his play over the last 3 years in his 'natural' position as well as his play at nose this year indicates that he won't fulfill the potential that he demonstrated as a first round pick.

That's a solid body of evidence.

Accordingly, we must look to address this position in the future.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast