Thread: Amazing Rookies

smitheRAM is offline Registered User

Amazing Rookies

With a lot of talk on this site about how we will improve this year(It's kind of a given since we cann't get worse. I hope.). People state that Avery will burn up the field and Long will have 8 or more sacks. My questions are these. Who was our last great rookie and who was your favorite rookie?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Amazing Rookies

Thats a good question. Who is our great rookie? I personally think that Carriker is going to be a very good player in the NFL. He improved so much from the beginning of the season till the last week. And he still has room to improve.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

I'd say.....
    Eric Dickerson - 1983 - 2,212 yards from scrimmage; 20 TDs

Honorable Mention - Isiah Robertson - 1971's Def. Rookie of the Year (the only Ram to win that award), NFL 2nd team All-Pro
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Dickerson is a good call, but since your question asks for the "last great rookie", I'll gladly pick one that's more recent. For instance...

...the 1993 Offensive Rookie of the year, Mr. Jerome "Battering Ram" Bettis. (The nickname of "The Bus" came later). He rushed for 1429 his rookie season and continued to be a 1,000 yard rusher after that. Certainly not as great as Dickerson, but a great rookie campaign nonetheless. Still can't believe Coach Brooks favored getting rid of Bettis for drafting Lawrence Phillips. oh well.

Don't think I have a favorite rookie. I'm interested to hear some of the Clans picks on that-

...Error/Clarification...
    I was looking at some more info on Bettis and apparently, he gives credit of "the bus" nickname to someone on the staff of the Notre Dame newspaper. So apparently, the Bus nickname came first, but wasn't popularized in the NFL until after he'd been called the Battering Ram for a while.

Josh Guest

my favorite rookie was Torrry Holt. he was a great rookie in my opinion.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I know he wasn't "really" a rookie but...there it is "but" Kurt Warner only played in one NFL game in 1998.

We all know what he did in "99"

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Gotta throw out UDFA rookie London Fletcher..........not terribly long ago and he was fun to watch.
    Semper Fi!

keith m. klink Guest

MY favorite rookie was FORREST , FORREST GUMP . hey JOSH , just thought i would throw this out . since everyone in CALIFORNIA thinks the RAMS are moving , i think they should go down to GREENBOW , ALABAMA !!!!!

But honestly , we reallyn had some great rookie seasons , NOT JUST OFFENSE BUT SOME GOOD DEFENSEIVE PLAYERS ALSO . remember that before all the SUPER HYPE , most players just went on with their days and lives and were great players but were not hyped up because of the infancy and maturation of the game . Remember that GABRIAL , SNOW , OLSON , the DEACON , YOUNGBLOOD , the HACKSAW , TYLER , MACK , DICKERSON , BETTIS , KENNISON , SLATER , and others i'm sure , and now we have the JACKSONS , CARRIKERS , LONGS and more to come . And who is to say an unhearalded rookie or a UFA rookie like CULBERSON walks in the steps of a LONDON FLETCHER . I like all the RAMS rookies , because they give me a hope that the passionate fire of the NFL will make them the best they can be and my reason for being in they corner .

for the record, Culberson is not a rookie, he's a 2nd year. Other than that, I hear ya!

keith m. klink Guest

I know that CULBERSON is 2nd year , SMITHY wanted our last great rookie and our favorite . i was just drawing a picture of a rookie who might turn out great and not just what the ROOKIE did in the first year. i myself could not answer that question , because i don't know whether BETTIS or DICKERSON were the best rookies , or if we are just playing the OFFENSIVE ROOKIE that made a huge impact and most yards game here . the biggest rookie year: DICKERSON- DON'T KNOW ANY OTHER ANSWER!
    the biggest 1st year player- WARNER, FINAL ANSWER.
    most unhearlded RAMS rookie- GABRIEL .

Josh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    MY favorite rookie was FORREST , FORREST GUMP . hey JOSH , just thought i would throw this out . since everyone in CALIFORNIA thinks the RAMS are moving , i think they should go down to GREENBOW , ALABAMA !!!!!

But honestly , we reallyn had some great rookie seasons , NOT JUST OFFENSE BUT SOME GOOD DEFENSEIVE PLAYERS ALSO . remember that before all the SUPER HYPE , most players just went on with their days and lives and were great players but were not hyped up because of the infancy and maturation of the game . Remember that GABRIAL , SNOW , OLSON , the DEACON , YOUNGBLOOD , the HACKSAW , TYLER , MACK , DICKERSON , BETTIS , KENNISON , SLATER , and others i'm sure , and now we have the JACKSONS , CARRIKERS , LONGS and more to come . And who is to say an unhearalded rookie or a UFA rookie like CULBERSON walks in the steps of a LONDON FLETCHER . I like all the RAMS rookies , because they give me a hope that the passionate fire of the NFL will make them the best they can be and my reason for being in they corner .

LOL... I want them to stay in st.louis.... Thats were they belong.