Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Of Amendola, Free Agent Contracts, and the Dreaded Term, "Injury Prone"

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Of Amendola, Free Agent Contracts, and the Dreaded Term, "Injury Prone"

The Rams will soon find themselves with a tough decision to make.

Danny Amendola is currently the Rams' top "go-to" WR. At the end of this season, he will be a free agent.

He is certainly the type of player you want to keep on your team. The way he has fought back from injuries to stay on the field must certainly resonate with his teammates and the coaching staff.

But how much do you pay a player who has missed 18 of the last 27 regular season games due to injury?

It is here that we must look at the dreaded term, "injury prone."

What does that term even mean? Typically, it is used in hindsight. A player who is injured repeatedly is labeled "injury prone," suggesting that he is somehow more susceptible to injuries than other players.

Is that necessarily true? Certainly, some injuries are just bad luck. Take a player like Frank Gore. In college, he tore his ACL and missed a season. Then, after his rookie season in the NFL, he had surgery on both shoulders. At that point, many probably called him "injury prone." However, since then, he's played in at least 14 games in 5 out of 6 seasons (and has not missed a game this year).

So what makes a player like Danny Amendola "injury prone"? Is it his size? He is, after all, only 5'11, 188 lbs. But comparably sized players have managed to stay healthy. For example, Santana Moss, who is listed at 5'10, 189, had a six year span in which he started in 92 of 96 games.

How about style of play? Is Danny a reckless player who throws his body around or leaves himself prone to big hits? Certainly, he's not shy about going over the middle. But if you look at his injuries this year, neither involved a hit.

I suppose it is possible for a person to have muscles, tendons and ligaments that tear, or bones that break, more easily than other players. But there's really no test for that, and merely concluding that a player who has had the bad luck of being injured must fall into these medical categories is bad science, at best.

So, hopefully, the Rams and Danny will find a price that works for everyone and, once he is signed, he will stay healthy.

I still want him going over the middle and diving for the ball when necessary. Danny needs to be Danny.

Well, except for returning punts. Let's get someone else to do that.
    thoey and lostsoul like this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: Of Amendola, Free Agent Contracts, and the Dreaded Term, "Injury Prone"

Nice Av.

I look at Wells, he said he was never hurt, he never missed more then two games. Comes here and breaks his foot. Donny Avery comes here plays well get hurt twice and who knows he may stay healthy for years.

Brockers got rolled up on, that had nothing to do with his build or the way he plays, but if he has another injury people will tag him with the label.

I'm going to say that players are not "injury prone" some players just get injured more often.

Lock up Amendola
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

It's a really tough situation for the front office. Currently we don't really have an alternative for his position. When he's down, we simply don't have a strong slot, possession presence. No one can get open in tight areas quite like him. No one can get open like him, period.

The question that they'll have to ask is, are we comfortable paying him "X" for what would be most likely a portion of the season. He certainly fights back from injury with an unquestioned toughness, but a new one always seems to be lurking around the corner. Every time he goes down I cringe, hoping for the best. As you mentioned Av, his injuries occur a lot on his own. He doesn't have the ability to go down in a safe way. It's just part of his style.

His injury history will almost certainly be a factor in the contract he receives (or doesn't) in the offseason. He doesn't seem like the egotistical type that will demand an obscene amount of money, but I really doubt that there will be a shortage of suitors in the open market.

In conclusion, I'm just really glad I don't have to make the call.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Lock him up.....really, do we want to see Danny A become a potential all pro for another team? I love London fletcher but still feel the angst when I see him playing.........But as suggested, stop the punt returning......

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

this is why I want to franchise Danny. We can't let him leave yet but I'm not sure we should give him a long term contract. A franchise tag pays him a ton for one year. hopefully he can finally stay healthy and earn a long term deal.

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

I do not see Danny A as injury prone. To this point in his career I see him as unlucky. When I think of injury prone I think of Danario Alexander. He keeps having injuries to the same area of his body. Amendola's injuries have been to different parts of his body (Shoulder, elbow, foot). While the success of the Rams' offense has been hinged to Amendola being on the field, I still don't think he is due a big paycheck. Mike Wallace averaged 1,000 yards and 8 TDs his first three years in the league and he still wasn't given the money he was looking to get. For Amendola to get a huge paycheck he would need to be on the field to show his worth, and while his injuries do not show that he is injury prone, they do prove that he still has something to prove. I do not think he is worth more than a 2 year deal at roughly 6.5 million a year.
    AvengerRam likes this.

I agree that a player who has multiple injuries to the same body part likely has lingering issues from those injuries and is therefore prone to additional injuries to that body part.

I also agree with your words of caution regarding Danny's price (though I don't think a 2 year deal is likely).

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

This is a borderline Bernie-esque thread. Just pay the guy, throw in some clauses, thats it.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    This is a borderline Bernie-esque thread.
    Do you have a point here, or is this just a lame attempt at a random and unprovoked insult?

Just pay the guy, throw in some clauses, thats it.
    Yeah... I'm pretty sure there's more involved in the process than just that. Pay him how much? For how many years? And what type of "clauses."

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't want DA going anywhere else. I say pay the man whether it be via the franchise tag or an outright contract. I would try to negoiate a games played incentive as part of the deal, especially if the contract is for more than 1 year.

thoey is offline Registered User

My concern with throwing incentive clauses in the new contract are that you are trying to tame the wild horse. Do we want an exciting player to try to play it safe so that he can stay on the field? Or would we rather pay him what he is worth to be the player he is and have the risk of injuries that come with his style of play?

I say sign him now to a good extension at a good price. This takes away the chance of another team upping the ante. And then sit him down with Torry and Ike and have them teach him how to "extend his career"...
    This space for rent...

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    My concern with throwing incentive clauses in the new contract are that you are trying to tame the wild horse. Do we want an exciting player to try to play it safe so that he can stay on the field? Or would we rather pay him what he is worth to be the player he is and have the risk of injuries that come with his style of play?

I say sign him now to a good extension at a good price. This takes away the chance of another team upping the ante. And then sit him down with Torry and Ike and have them teach him how to "extend his career"...
    Torry and Isaac aren't going to magically stop him from getting injured. Whether you believe he's injury prone or not he gets injured a lot. Is it do to hsi reckless go all out attitude. Yes surely some of it is that but it seriously seems like every time the guy dives he comes down hurt.

I just would not be comfortable giving Amendola a long term deal at this point. Why not franchise him for a year, pay him the big money for one year, and see if he can stay relatively healthy for once next year. Basically franchising him gives us the chance to make sure he's worth the big deal.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post

I just would not be comfortable giving Amendola a long term deal at this point. Why not franchise him for a year, pay him the big money for one year, and see if he can stay relatively healthy for once next year. Basically franchising him gives us the chance to make sure he's worth the big deal.
    Ding Ding Ding! Outside of that...so long, Humpty Dumpty! Enough over paying people who cant maintain/stay healthy or get it done.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

I have to wonder if some of the people who are reluctant to sign Amendola due to his injury history are the same people who now criticize the Rams for letting oft-injured guys like Danario Alexander and Donny Avery go.

Rammed is offline Registered User

'just' frachise him is a 1 year 9mil+ contract.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast