Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MoonJoe
  • 1 Post By Fortuninerhater

Thread: Amendola's back, at least for now ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Amendola's back, at least for now ..

BY JIM THOMAS
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012

First, Danny Amendola was spotted here and spotted there in Boston. Then, he was making a free-agent visit to New England. He would be signing a Patriots offer sheet any minute as a restricted free agent, right? Uh, no.

"It was just kind of humorous to me," Amendola said. "My agent actually called me. He was like, 'What's the deal? People are calling me wondering if you're in Boston, or if you're going to be a Patriot.' "

Who knew Amendola was so recognizable?

"I always knew I had a famous face," he chuckled.

Actually, Amendola was in the Northeast because his aunt had passed away and he attended her funeral in Maine. But Amendola's mother lives in Boston, and his father's from Boston.

"So I spent a week or two up there with my family," he said.

As for that brief Patriots frenzy, "I don't even know how that really came about but it was all pretty much fabricated," Amendola said.

If the Patriots actually are interested in Amendola, which seems unlikely given all the wide receivers they've signed in free agency, they have 2½ weeks to make their move. The deadline is April 20 for restricted free agents to receive offer sheets from outside clubs. The Rams put a second-round tender on Amendola, so the Rams get a second-round draft pick if he gets an offer from another club and the Rams decline to match. At the moment, he's not thinking that way.

"I obviously love playing for the Rams," Amendola said. "This has been my home now for three years going on four, so I'm looking forward to playing here."

After suffering a season-ending elbow and triceps injury in the 2011 season opener, Amendola is looking forward to playing — period. Unsigned restricted free agents can work out with their old club if invited to do so. So Amendola was present and accounted for Monday as the Rams began their formal offseason conditioning program.

Health-wise, Amendola proclaimed his elbow and triceps "100 percent."

"I'm good," he said. "I did everything (Monday). I'll continue to do everything and continue to try to get better every day."

Amendola will defer to trainer Reggie Scott when it comes to participating in the Rams' minicamp in two weeks. "But if it's up to me, I'm going 100 percent and doing everything," he said.

Amendola suffered a dislocated elbow bracing himself as he fell to the turf in the opener against Philadelphia. He also suffered damage to the triceps muscle in the same arm. Always gung-ho, Amendola was hoping once the elbow injury settled down he could return to action wearing a brace. But the triceps muscle suffered additional tearing while Amendola was trying to work his way back onto the field and he was placed on the injured reserve list Oct. 10 and subsequently had surgery to reattach the triceps to his elbow.

Following surgery, the arm and elbow were immobilized for about a month and a half, then he started working on re-gaining his range of motion, and then his strength. He stayed in St. Louis over the offseason to rehab the injury.

"I've got range of motion and full strength back," he said. "I'll continue to work on the little stuff, just to get finely tuned. But mostly it's all the way back."

Amendola said he's already lifting as much weight right now as he was at the end of last offseason.

Technically, the offseason conditioning program is voluntary, and not everyone was in attendance Monday at Rams Park. But it was a good turnout, including Sam Bradford, Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, Danario Alexander — and Amendola.

As for his initial impressions of offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, Amendola said, "He seems like a cool dude, a guy that guys are really gonna play hard for, really respect. I know he's a smart guy and has a great offensive scheme. We're all ready to get started."

Ram-blings

Free agent linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar, formerly of the New Orleans Saints, signed with the Rams.

The Rams have begun lining up pre-draft visits. The Post-Dispatch confirmed that Alabama running back Trent Richardson, Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon and Louisiana State cornerback Morris Claiborne will visit Rams Park between now and just before the draft.

Defensive end William Hayes of the Tennessee Titans will pay a free-agent visit to Rams Park, according to his agent.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Re: Amendola's back, at least for now ..

Thanks Maui! Good read, good to know indeed.

"I obviously love playing for the Rams," Amendola said. "This has been my home now for three years going on four, so I'm looking forward to playing here."
    Enough said. Yet I say again ... GO DANNYEEEEE!. All the best with the 2012 RAMS.

--

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I like Amendola, he has heart like Ricky Proehl.
    macrammer likes this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    This warms my heart.. *sniff* *sniff*

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I personally wouldn't have minded if he fell in love with Boston and vice-versa. Love his passion, but would most definitely rather have another 2nd rounder at my disposal come draft day.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Update.

Amendola Happy to be Back

Posted Wed. April 18, 2012 p.m.
    By Nick Wagoner

Danny Amendola has faced plenty of adversity in his many years playing football but never has that adversity extended to his health and well-being.

Never, that is, until last year when Amendola suffered the first serious injury of his football career when he went down with a torn triceps in the season opener against Philadelphia.

The injury ended Amendola’s season before it ever really got started and by his own admission had him down in the dumps.

“It was really, really hard,” Amendola said. “It was the hardest thing I’ve had to do so far in my career and my whole life, really. It was the first time I ever missed a practice, first time I ever missed a game and I ended up missing the whole season. It was really hard.”

Ever the optimist, Amendola tried to find things to do to stay in shape and stay sharp mentally. If he couldn’t improve on the field physically, he wanted to find ways to get better at the mental side of the game.

“There were a couple of positive things,” Amendola said. “I got to get in the film room and try to study a lot more just the game and how to play. I got better that way.”

But nothing Amendola did could compare to the feeling of being on the field playing the game he loves, a feeling that came rushing back to him over the past two days as the Rams stepped on the field for their voluntary minicamp.

Amendola was back on the practice fields at Rams Park, running routes, catching passes and generally enjoying the game again.

“I was excited,” Amendola said. “I have to get used to it a little bit. I know we weren’t full speed today but it was fast and it felt fast. I have to get used to playing again. I’m just looking forward to the next one.”

Soon after having the procedure that ended his season, Amendola set out to get healthy again. He attacked a vigorous rehab program with childlike abandon and hasn’t allowed himself to focus on much of anything else.

Even all the changes that have occurred at Rams Park in the offseason haven’t really fazed Amendola. He didn’t even get a chance to chat with new coach Jeff Fisher about his rehab.

“I did my rehab since the season ended,” Amendola said. “That’s really all I’ve been doing. I really haven’t talked to him about it. I’m just really ready to get back on the field. I just want to win every game. First I want to establish a role on the team and fulfill that the best I can and help the Rams win football games. That’s what I am going to do.”

Amendola had certainly established his role in a breakout 2010 season when he led the Rams in receiving and emerged as quarterback Sam Bradford’s favorite target. He figured to expand on that role last year but the triceps injury set back that progress.

Now, Amendola is back to square one a bit as he joins his teammates in learning a third offense in three years, this time one helmed by new coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

Not that any of that bothers Amendola, who said he doesn’t plan to be satisfied until he’s as good a receiver as you’ll find in the NFL.

I want to be the best I can be,” Amendola said. “That’s really all I can ask for. I know [it's] a cliché response but that’s all I can try to do and control. I am just trying to get better every day.”

Amendola is a restricted free agent whom the Rams tendered at the second-round level in the offseason but the deadline for teams to make offers on restricted free agents is expected to come and go tomorrow without an outside offer.

Most likely, Amendola will sign his one-year tender with the Rams, get back to work and give all he can to prove he’s worthy of a more long-term extension next offseason.

In the meantime, Amendola figures to slide back into his old role as the team’s primary slot receiver and possibly do some punt returning on the side. There has been plenty of chatter about the Rams’ drafting a receiver or two in next week’s NFL Draft but Amendola doesn’t concern himself with things out of his control.

“I don’t really care,” Amendola said. “That doesn’t affect me. That doesn’t affect the way I come to work. It doesn’t affect how I perform so I am just going to come to work and try to get better every day.”

[Bold, blue mine]
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-19-2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Format

ramsflow is offline Registered User

I think big danny will be big for us this year.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The writer forgot to mention he came up to the Northeast for some LOBSTAH AND CHOWDAH!