tanus is offline Registered User

Analysis of Bulger's 3 Picks...

I thought it would be interesting and a good idea to take a look at Bulger's picks from the game and discuss their impact on the game and get your guys' take on them.

I feel that their are OK picks and there are bad picks. Let me explain as I go through all of them.

Bulger's First Pick -- 3rd & 4 at Seattle 41 in 1st Quarter
    This is a pick that I am OK with given our offensive philosophy. The reason being that it was third down and we were out of field goal range. A perfect opportunity to take a shot down the field. Not only does this have the immediate satisfaction of a touchdown if successful but it also shows the D that you are willing to take a shot. It could help out later on in the game. As it turned out the ball wasn't thrown perfectly, the DB got better position on Holt, and Holt was unable to make a play. Good job Seattle D. Now, the ramifications of this aren't that bad at all. A touchback, which is probable even if we punted on 4th down. Either way, I like being aggressive in that situation so I can live with the pick.

Bulger's Second Pick -- 1st & 10 at Rams 40 in 2nd Quarter
    This looked like a big time miscommunication between Bulger and Bruce. I'm not sure whose fault it reall is but I'm going to lay the blame on Bulger since the ball was really nowhere near Bruce. Luckily this only resulted in a field goal attempt that was no good. This type of pick needs to be avoided.

Bulger's Third Pick -- 2nd & 10 at Rams 25 in 4th Quarter
    This was an outstanding play by Marcus Trufant. Man, I really wish we could have drafted him! This wasn't a terrible throw as Trufant did have to make a spectacular play to intercept the ball. However, it did occur in our side of the field and resulted in 3 points for the Hawks. The blame is definitely on Bulger for this one but a tip of the cap to Trufant as well for an outstanding pick.

So I really have no idea why I am typing all of this. I guess I just want to see what your guys' takes are on the interceptions and see some different perspectives.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Analysis of Bulger's 3 Picks...

My analysis as a fan:

Pick 1 - did not prevent a win.

Pick 2 - did not prevent a win.

Pick 3 - did not prevent a win.

I'll let the coaching staff deal with the details.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tanus
    Bulger's First Pick -- 3rd & 4 at Seattle 41 in 1st Quarter
    I agree with your analysis. It wasn't a great throw, but Holt gave up inside position to the defender after he seemingly faked a post and went with a fly route. Had Holt maintained inside position on that pass, he probably would have been able to make that catch. In my opinion, the ball was intercepted because (1) it was slightly underthrown and (2) the Seattle defender was in better position to catch such a pass. I do question the decision to pass on Holt though if Bruce was wide open, as some have reported. Although perhaps at the time of his read, Bruce wasn't and the Holt match-up looked favorable.

Bulger's Second Pick -- 1st & 10 at Rams 40 in 2nd Quarter
    Bruce initially ran a curl route, and it looked as if Bulger anticipated Bruce crossing the field as sort of an improvised route. Miscommunication leads to an interception. Bulger was throwing to where he thought Bruce was going, and Bruce wasn't really racing into the drag. Even if he did drag across, the ball might have been too far in front of him. Not a good pass by Bulger.

Bulger's Third Pick -- 2nd & 10 at Rams 25 in 4th Quarter
    I agree with you on this one, too. Great play by Trufant, and I'm wishing we could have moved up to get him instead of drafting Kennedy. I think this is more a good play defensively than anything else.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Nice post tanus. I've never thought of analizing bad plays before.
    BRILIANT! :redface:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I concur with your interceptionalysis. Those TD tosses looked good too.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

After watching the "game of the week", and looking at those picks in "slo-mo", it seems that Bulgers biggest tendency is to underthrow the deep passes. I think it may be that he is not judging the speed of this receivers well enough, more than than an arm strength issue. (obviously he judged them perfectly on the Curtis and MacDonald throws!).

Also, the announcers (and others) seem to think that Bulger "got away with one" on the Manumaleuna TD, but in watching this one from the QB's angle, he put it up there where his guy could go get it, and I believe Manu had the best chance of coming down with it, over the 3 squawks in the vacinity. Not recommended to throw into triple coverage, but this was definitely not one of those "throw it up for grabs" TD's that Holt has managed to come away with.....Bulger accurately threw it where it needed to be.

xfactor28 is offline Registered User

1. who cares keep throwin
    2. who cares keep throwin
    3. who cares keep throwin

i detect a pattern here..........

moklerman is offline Registered User

Bulger accurately threw it where it needed to be.
    I was talking about this play with a friend of mine. He has no interest in the Rams be it love or hate. He just loves to watch football. I had mentioned to him I was in a bit of debate on the mb's about MB and asked him if he remembered the play where Manu caught the td.

The first words out of his mouth were: "you mean the one where the wrong receiver caught it? It was obvious he was throwing to the guy in the back of the end zone".

Just thought I would share a non-partisan viewpoint on the matter.

is that the 1st time luck was involved in a play?

moklerman is offline Registered User

is that the 1st time luck was involved in a play?
    Careful, Xfactor. You don't want to cal a Bulger play lucky. Not on this board. Believe me, I speak from experience. :smile:

ill take luck any day just ask franco harris!