Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Ancient wisdom of the east

And no, that's not the NFC East or the AFC East, where it could be argued wisdom is at a premium this year. Instead, it alludes to something that struck me as I was wending my weary way across to work this morning, courtesy of the Hong Kong and Kowloon ferry company.

Ordinarily, thoughts of the NFL are far from my mind on a Friday morning in the offseason. I'm much more concerned with the dubious delights of authentic chinese breakfasts being noisily consumed, the shrieks of students too young to realise that these are indeed the best days of their lives, the sullen reluctance of those old enough to realise that they were indeed the best days of their lives and the fact that my life may well be shortened by the miasma that inevitably approaches with a monotony that is steadily paced by belch of diesel and churn of water.

This morning however was remarkably different. Different in that I'd finally got round to charging my CD walkman and was listening to a fantastic debut CD by a band called The Fray (Track 2 is superb) whilst witnessing a beautiful morning unfold across the Lamma channel. I felt invigorated and truly looked forward to impressing upon those who are burdened with my daily presence that, education can well be the influence behind the best days of your life.

I also started thinking about the Rams and the coming season.

Football has intruded recently due to the tantalising taster of the pre-season, (Sorry Clinton I disagree, pre-season is a good idea) and the fact that all four of my fantasy drafts have left me with squads good enough to win. (Take note RB, the Mooncake will sweep all before them.......... heh heh) It struck me however, that virtually every owner, except those unfortunate souls who pick the enitire starting lineup from their favourite team (And there's always one), must think the same as me. All of us are united in our hope for the breakout season, the injury free romp, the banner year from our starting QB that will lead us to ultimate victory.

But, as we all know but are afraid to dwell on, there can be only one. Only one winner ladies and gents, and as much as we press, push and pull at the probabilities, possibilties, estimations, random guesses, forecasts, prognostications, auguries, previews, reviews and even fingers in the wind, nothing will change that damning statistic.

Only one..................

For fantasy football read NFL. In fact write it large, spray paint it across your garage door, scribble it on the doodle pad next to your phone, whisper it to your dog, scandalise your fellow fan and annoy your colleagues. The NFL has enshrined parity and all the mechanisms that lead to it at the heart of it's sporting and commercial endeavours. This means, as Pete Rozelle was once heard to observe that ".....on any given sunday........" virtually anything is possible in a manner that isn't reflected in any other sport that I follow with any great interest.

For us who follow the Rams, we can discuss at length the breakout of Jackson, the physicality of Incognito, the veteran leadership of Glover, the talent of Witherspoon, the potential of Klopfenstein, the superlative talents of Bulger,Holt and Bruce and the youth and energy of our new coaching staff, but ultimately it means very little.

Hope if you will, for the breakout season, the injury free romp, the banner year from our starting QB that will lead us to ultimate victory. But we all know that there can be only one, and as much as we try and twist probability, as football fans we know that we'll more than likely be subject to eventual disappointment.

In this I was reminded of a couple of lines from a poem that has nothing at all to do with football and was written a very long time ago indeed. The poem itself is titled by the number one, and appears in a collection of poetry which the chinese used to accord the honour with which we lavish on the bible. It's called the Shih Ching and was assembled before, during and after the life of Confucius and features poetry that dates from as far ago as 1766 BCE.

Anyway, poem number one has these lines included in its final verse:-

The long and short of it:
    from what flows:grasp the best...

Grasp the best indeed ladies and gents. This season is as full of hope and promise as any season in Rams history. Certainly more than that present before our triumph over the Titans in that single unforgettable season. Worst to first is possible in the NFL, you have to be lucky, you have to take risks, you need a couple of breakout years and you need belief in situations where you need it most.

We could win it all, but we probabaly won't. I hope that we do and expect that we won't. But I'll tell you this, from whatever flows this season, I'll grasp the best. I'll expect nothing other than that every player who carries our hopes will perform in a manner that let's him feel easy in the offseason and that gives him belief in his professional future and that of the team that he plays for.

Grasp the best everyone, even the worst teams have a highlight reel......................

Don't they?

Enjoy everyone, let the season commence!!!!!!!!!!

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Re: Ancient wisdom of the east

Unmon said: "I do not ask you about fifteen days ago. But what about fifteen days hence? Come, say a word about this!" Since none of the monks answered, he answered for them: "Every day is a good day."

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    and the fact that all four of my fantasy drafts have left me with squads good enough to win. (Take note RB, the Mooncake will sweep all before them.......... heh heh)
    FP you obviously didn't even look at my team, since you have already declared a sweep.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I did but I'm feeling optimistic.....................(cough)

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    But, as we all know but are afraid to dwell on, there can be only one. Only one winner ladies and gents, and as much as we press, push and pull at the probabilities, possibilties, estimations, random guesses, forecasts, prognostications, auguries, previews, reviews and even fingers in the wind, nothing will change that damning statistic.

Only one..................
    It always occurs to me that every team's hardcore fans (even the Packers, Saints, Texans, Whiners, etc) get pumped up for the upcoming season with boasts of, "If X, Y, and Z happen, we can win it all!" While yes any team could win it all with a little "divine intervention", a breakout year, hard work, and/or a lot of luck, for 20 teams there is no postseason at all. And out of the 12 that do make it only one can be called champion.

This is why each Superbowl championship should be cherished by the teams and fans, because multiple things have to come together perfectly to make it all happen. Too many great players have retired without a Superbowl ring because, for one reason or another, they were never part of a team that could put together all of the pieces that complete the championship puzzle.

The Rams of this year do, I believe, hold all the pieces to this puzzle. The question is, can they put them all together. We will have to wait and see.