Andy McCollum and Teammates Help Raise $40,000 for Epilepsy Foundation
Thursday, June 8, 2006

Brett Grassmuck
Stlouisrams.com

Thirty-three of the Rams’ players stepped away from the football field and into their bowling shoes Monday, as the Rams’ held their 10th annual Bowl-a-RAM-a event to benefit the Epilepsy Foundation of the St. Louis Region.

The event, which was held at Tropicana Lanes in Clayton, raised around $40,000 for the Epilepsy Foundation and over the 10 years the event has taken place, it has raised more than $100,000.

“The event has developed momentum continuously throughout the 10 years and this was our best ever,” said Darla Templeton of the Epilepsy Foundation of the St. Louis Region.

During the event, attendees were able to bowl with the Rams’ players as well as get their pictures taken with them and collect autographs.

Participating Rams included event chair Andy McCollum, his offensive linemates Adam Timmerman, Orlando Pace and Blaine Saipaia, wide receivers Kevin Curtis and Dane Looker, defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy, defensive end Anthony Hargrove, newcomers defensive tackle La’Roi Glover, linebacker Will Witherspoon and tackle Todd Steussie as well as many of the Rams rookies.

“Andy McCollum has been chair for the last four years and has brought consistency and promoted the event to his teammates,” Templeton said. “The other affiliate executives are envious of St. Louis because of the support from the Rams organization, the participation of players and the super bowl player who chairs our event.

“This relationship is huge for a small agency providing assistance to people with epilepsy. We are sincerely grateful for the commitment of the Rams organization, Andy McCollum and all of the players.”

Near the end of the night, the players held an offense vs. defense showdown. The defense picked up its second-straight victory on the strength of big games by Witherspoon and defensive tackle Jeremy Calahan. The offense leads the overall series 7-3.

“It was a good time,” McCollum said. “I think we did well. We had a huge turnout of players and fans. We need to get our O-line together and practice a little bit, because we got crushed by the defense.”

McCollum has a special connection to Epilepsy which led him to be the chair of Bowl-a-RAM-a.

“A few years ago, I had one of my nephews back home in Ohio diagnosed with Epilepsy,” McCollum said. “(The Epilepsy Foundation) helped us by answering questions, and we were able to call them. They put us in touch with doctors and people in that area.

“I got involved when we first came here several years ago. They are just great people. They help people every day of the week.”

In addition to being the chair of the Bowl-a-RAM-a event McCollum also donates tickets to each Rams home game to the Epilepsy Foundation.

“The Epilepsy Foundation, they’re all over the country, but this one here in St. Louis, I’m really impressed with,” McCollum said. “I think that’s because of the people that are running it.”