Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Smile Another best ever with a twist...

Since this seems to be a somewhat popular form of passing time during the offseason, as of late, here is another best ever. I am going to add a twist to this one, it is somewhat of an informal poll.

Who is the best head coach in Rams history?

Who is the worst head coach in Rams history?

Which head coach do you associate, as the biggest failure, relative to not winning a championship?

:ramlogo:

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Another best ever with a twist...

Man, this is a loaded question with the potential for some fireworks. Just in time for the 4th. Ferter, you patriotic fool you. LOL

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I still haven't forgiven Coach Clark Shaughnessy for failing to lead the Rams to the NFL Championship in 1949.

jjsram is offline Registered User

Martz.
    Martz.
    Martz.

general counsel Guest

Well avenger, the 14-0 loss to the eagles in the title game in 49 led to shaughnessy being put on the Bumblebee plan by dan reeves following the end of the season. Stydahar took over in 50, lost in the nfl title game in 50, and then won it all in 51. Stydahar was out after one game in 52. that must have been some story, the defending nfl champion coach fired one game into the next season. And we think things are tough on the coaches today.

ramming speed to all

sign the big man

general counsel

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I'll answer this one, but it'll take some thought for me on the others.

3) Which head coach do you associate, as the biggest failure, relative to not winning a championship?
    Chuck Knox, if I understand the question correctly. During Knox's first span as the Rams' head coach, Los Angeles was 54-15. The Rams were among the best in the league in terms of reaching the endzone offensively while keeping the opponent out. Knox never had a team during this span with less than six Pro Bowlers, and while the Rams appeared in the playoffs during each of those five years, they lost in the divisional or NFC championship game each year. So, in terms of the biggest failure relative to not winning a championship, it would be Knox during this span... again, assuming I understand the question correctly.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Cool Re: Another best ever with a twist...

Nick, I have to agree with your answer to that question. I find it somewhat puzzling that Mike Martz is so heavily criticized for not yet winning the SuperBowl, as a head coach, while Chuck Knox is seemingly forgotten.

Chuck Knox had some very talented teams from 73-77. Sure the competition was tough, during those years, but Knox could not even reach the SuperBowl in any of those seasons. I swear to this day that he was jinxed. As many of you might know, the Knox jinx carried on in Buffalo and Seattle, with neither of those teams reaching the SuperBowl.

I won't go as far as calling Knox the worst head coach in Rams history, but bringing him back for a second stint in the 90s has to be one of the all-time dumbest head coaching hires in Rams history.

general counsel Guest

Devil's advocate here. From 73-77, his first run as coach, I dont think knox ever had a championship caliber qb. he had championship caliber defenses, great running games, but had no consistency at the qb position and certainly no real quality leaders at the position. We went through john hadl, joe namath, james harris, Jaws, pat haden et al during that span. I always thought that we were a qb away from being the team of the decade, rather than the steelers.

In addition to that, knox took over a team that was below .500 under tommy prothro in 1972 and took us back to the playoffs with a 12-2 record his first year.

I am a martz supporter, but i think the loss to the patriots in sb 36 is at least partially martz' responsibility and to me, that may have been the most talented team (along with the colts in sb 3) to lose in the big game. I cant get over the lingering feeling that he failed to find a way to get the ball into faulks hands more often, no matter how much holding, clutching and grabbing the patsies were engaging in.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    I won't go as far as calling Knox the worst head coach in Rams history, but bringing him back for a second stint in the 90s has to be one of the all-time dumbest head coaching hires in Rams history.
    Given his first stint as a head coach, I'm also hesitant to label Knox as the worst coach in Rams history. However, his second run was clearly bad. I definitely agree with you there.

Also, keep in mind that whenever Knox left, Ray Malavasi had three playoff years right after that as head coach before the team turned bad in '81, and Malavasi's Rams actually got to the Super Bowl, albeit lost.
    Last edited by Nick; -07-02-2004 at 01:29 AM.

I am going to stay within my years of recollection for my pick as the Rams worst head coach.

I will bestow that honor on Tommy Prothro, 71-72

Coming in a close second would be Rich Brooks, 95-96 and Chuck Knox, 92-94

Outside of my years of recollection would be Bob Waterfield, 60-62

A bizarre note:
    At the end of Chuck knox' first stint with the Rams, George Allen was hired for his second term as Rams head coach, but was fired during preseason and then Malavasi took over.

Quote Originally Posted by jjsram
    Martz.
    Martz.
    Martz.
    It would be nice to come up with some reasons that we could either agree with or disagree as we feel, rather than some general post.

give us your reasons. You never know, some people might even agree

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Outside of my years of recollection would be Bob Waterfield, 60-62
    He'd have to get my vote.

Best Head Coach in Rams history.

Dick Vermeil
    Looking at the record and length of time served some might think otherwise. He only had the one great season, but oh what a season that was. Certainly Vermeil had a great staff and plenty of help in winning the SuperBowl, but he was the leader and the guy that made it function at peak efficiency. Vermeil also had some great talent, but name one successful head coach who has not had superstar players. Vermeil has stood the test of time. He had success before and he is having success today. He revived the long-time hapless Eagles and took them to the SuperBowl back in the early 80s. He takes close to 20 years off and then comes back to revive the near decade long hapless Rams. I was shocked and saddened to see Vermeil step away and it is hard to say what would have happened otherwise, but as far as I am concerned Dick Vermeil was the best head coach in Rams history.

My Final Answers

Best Head Coach in Rams history - Dick Vermeil

Worst Head Coach in Rams history - Tommy Prothro

Biggest Failure as Head Coach - Chuck Knox

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The first Knox reign makes him the best coach in Rams history. Nobody has had his string of success since then. Martz has a chance.

The worst coach was Brooks. This pre-Vermeil team had decent talent, but Brooks couldn't do a thing with it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jjsram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    It would be nice to come up with some reasons that we could either agree with or disagree as we feel, rather than some general post.

give us your reasons. You never know, some people might even agree
    Dez, I was just being a little sarcastic.
    To answer the original questions,

BEST HEAD COACH:
    Dick Vermeil - He was the head coach when we won our only SB. If Martz wins it next year, though, I would have to say Martz.

WORST HEAD COACH:
    I would have to go with Brooks. Like HUbison stated, he had some talent but couldn't do anything with them.

BIGGEST FAILURE AS HEAD COACH:
    To date, I have to go with Martz. He inherited tremendous talent and hasn't won one yet. If he does win one with the Rams, I'll change my vote to Knox (not the 90's but the 70's). I thought he should've taken the Rams to the big one in at least one of those years.

My voting is from the mid-70's until now. I've heard of the pre-mid-70's coaches, but never saw them in action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast