VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Another boring WR thread...

I will accept the conventional wisdom that we are keeping Holt, Bennett, Hall, Burton and Avery, and that we have only one spot left to be filled by Looker, Stanley, Hagans or Caldwell.

First off, I don't know if Caldwell was released by Wahington, or was a free agent. He may have been brought in as insurance, or (albiet cold-blooded) to help educate our promising receivers during training camp in Saunder's offence with the intent all along of cutting him. In any event, he's the first to go.

Next is Hagans, who seemed to show promise last year but disappeared during games.

This leaves Stanley and Looker. This for me is extremely difficult, and wish we could carry seven WRs.

Looker is Proehl II, period. In 5 seasons, I have seen him make ONE mistake, (muffing a punt, which he recovered IIRC, but could be wrong).
    And we let Proehl go for money reasons - not an issue here.

Stanley's got some potential, a year under his belt, and is insurance against Hall going down, (a double edged sword - if Hall stays healthy, we don't need his (supposed) return skills). And if we PS him, given this years small crop of receivers, I think he'll get picked up...

So...crap! What do we do?

I'd keep Looker. Returns punts, holds, and oh...btw, catches pretty well.

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Re: Another boring WR thread...

I think someone else is going to be the holder this year. I read that somewhere. I keep Stanley because he is or will be better than Looker.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I agree with chipper on this one. but im not there at camp and am not a coach so i dont really get see whos doing what well or not. im sure they'll pick the best out of the groupp, but im still pushing for stanley, with hagans in 2nd.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

i'm not so certain caldwell will be the first go, based on the fact that he was just pursued this offseason. i think it would be between stanley, hagans, or looker, though i would prefer if we got rid of caldwell.

edit: and i agree with the posts above, in that if it came down to looker and stanley, while i love having looker on the team i think we have to go with our young guy with more potential in stanley. hagans is also interesting as a prospect (and a nice emergency qb).
    i would rank my 4 as:
    1. Stanley
    2. Looker
    3. Hagans
    4. Caldwell

edit: i changed up my 2 and 3 upon further review.
    Last edited by prof22693; -08-02-2008 at 01:55 AM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Caldwell was an unrestricted free agent.

My choice would be Hagans.

RealRam is offline Registered User
    Vegas, you're definitely right on with the Hagans / Looker dilemma -- but I think you're wrong in naming this a 'boring' WR thread!

My choice is also Stanley. Looks like this kid is making a name for himself for a couple of training camps now. What you say about Dane is true yet Derek would be a fine receiver for the future.

And from the Department of Redundancy Department, Derek Stanley came through with his usual catch or two that simply wows everyone in attendance. He closed the practice with a scintillating catch on a fade pattern over two defenders. Again, the race at receiver is too close to call for the final spot or two on the depth but itís going to be hard to keep Stanley off of it if this continues. -- N. Wagoner at Mequon, 29-07-08

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I would go with Stanley over the other wide receivers we have at the moment, with Hagans being a distant second.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Vegas .. you've got Hall listed as a WR, and apparently rightly so, as I read he is the #3 WR right now. Assuming that is correct, then we'll probably have a roster spot for a return guy who will also be a backup WR. This way we keep 6 WRs and 1 return guy or 7 WRs .. whichever way one wishes to list it. Point being -- we'll likely keep 7 ..

On Caldwell, he may have been brought in to help Al implement his offense, but I'd bet it goes beyond that. Caldwell has good size for a WR, and more importantly in addition to his knowledge of Al's O, is a willing and good blocker downfield. My prediction:

Holt
    Bennett
    Hall (WR and punt returner)
    Burton
    Avery
    Caldwell
    Stanley (KR WR)

On a side note .. glad I'm not putting any money on this ..

I believe Avery and Burton should be placed above Hall, and that Daunte is much more effective when concentrating on kick returns. He is a good, but not great WR, and in my opinion should be fifth behind Avery and Burton.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Well guys - you've convinced me. I'll be cheering for Stanley from here on in, but I hope MauiRam is right, and we carry 6 WRs AND a returner. Problem solved.

I probably have a sentimental soft spot for Looker, because the one (and only) year I followed NFL Europe he was very good and won some award, and ever since has been "hangin' on" with the Rams.

Still like him.
    Last edited by VegasRam; -07-31-2008 at 03:41 PM.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Well guys - you've convinced me. I'll be cheering for Stanley from here on in, but I hope MauiRam is right, and we carry 6 WRs AND a returner. Problem solved.

I probably have a sentimental soft spot for Looker, because the one (and only) year I followed NFL Europe he was very good and won some award, and ever since has been "hangin' on" with the Rams.

Still like him.
    I too, hope we carry 6 WR and a returner. I also have always liked Looker and thought he was a great guy on the team. If we have to carry a vet between caldwell and Looker it better be looker. I really want Looker to stay