Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ZiaRam

Thread: Another Frustrating Night for the Rams

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Another Frustrating Night for the Rams

by Cliff Saunders

I wasn't expecting the Rams to be 2-0 after the first two games of the season. I was expecting them to be 0-2, to be completely honest with you. But it's the way that they have lost these first two games that really bothers me.The 28-16 loss to the New York Giants could've ended much differently for the Rams. Hell, it should've ended much differently.
    But it didn't. Instead, it was another frustrating night for the team, and for a long-suffering fan base.
    Oh, I'm sure that some fans and media types will try to look for positives. I'm sure that some will try to look for silver linings. But there are no positives for me. There are no silver linings for me. There are no moral victories. A loss is a loss is a loss. This team lost a game that it had a chance win. And that should bother you as much as it bothers me.
    Forget what the final score said. This game could have had a much different outcome. But, just like they did against the Eagles in the season opener, the Rams were only too willing to shoot themselves in the foot. They were only too willing to help their opponent.
    Let's review, shall we? Early in the game, Sam Bradford completed a 68-yard pass play to Danario Alexander that put the Rams at the New York Giants 1-yard line. The Rams couldn't punch it in and had to settle for a Josh Brown field goal. I know it's a cliché, but you can't leave points on the field, which is what the Rams did on that drive. When you have a first and goal at the 1-yard line, you need to score a touchdown.
    The defense responded. James Laurinaitis and the rest of the troops came out and forced the Giants to punt, but rookie Greg Salas, filling in as the punt returner for the injured Danny Amendola, muffed the punt, and New York recovered. The Giants would make the Rams pay for Salas' mistake, as Hakeem Nick's three-yard catch put the Giants on top for good.
    Sam Bradford would lead the Rams down the field on their very next possession, but once again, they couldn't get the job done in the red zone. They had to settle for another Brown field goal. (They would wind up inside the red zone four times and scored just one touchdown. That is inexcusable.)
    Early in the game, I was feeling pretty good about where the Rams were at. This young team was in New York, playing on Monday Night Football and playing pretty well. They were playing pretty well despite making some mistakes. I was thinking that if they could play mistake-free football the rest of the way, maybe they could steal one with the entire country watching.
    It didn't take very long for those good feelings to go away. Cadillac Williams dropped a Bradford pass (which was ruled a lateral); Michael Boley picked it and returned it 65 yards for a touchdown.
    That's when all the air was let out of the balloon.
    There were other mistakes that the Rams made. There were penalties (eight overall) that made me want to throw something at my television (penalties on Rodger Saffold and Justin King to be exact). There were dropped passes, just like there were against the Eagles. Put all of the mistakes together, and you get this loss to the Giants. You get an 0-2 start.
    Like I said, you can try to look for positives if you want. But this team is past the point of looking for positives. This isn't the 1-15 team we all watched a couple of years ago. This isn't the 7-9 team that fell just shy of a playoff spot. This is a team that should be better than that.
    This is a team that went out and signed veteran free agents like Quintin Mikell, Harvey Dahl, Ben Leber and Mike Sims-Walker. This is a young football team that should be at the point in their development that they stop making mistakes (penalties and turnovers). At times I feel like we are talking about the same things with this team that we talked about last year. Frankly, that should not be happening.
    We should not be talking about red-zone problems as much as we've talked about them during the first two weeks of the season. I know a new offense needs time to take, and I wasn't expecting the new offense to put up 40 points a game right off the bat. But I wasn't expecting red-zone problems like we have seen over the first couple of games.
    I wouldn't be as angry if the Rams had gotten blown out by the Giants. At least then I could rationalize it by saying they never had a chance. But, when you lose a game like this, a game that could have ended differently had this team just avoided making some of the mistakes they made, it's hard not to be frustrated. It's hard not to get angry.
    I still believe better days are coming for this organization. But until the red-zone problems are worked out, until the players stop these making head-scratching mistakes, we are going to see more of what we have seen in the first two weeks of the season.
    And to be honest with you, I wasn't expecting that
    UtterBlitz and mikhal5569 like this.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Re: Another Frustrating Night for the Rams

I was so frustrated yesterday, not becacause of the game itself, but because it seems we are stuck in the "IF/BUT" phase.
    If we had caught, if we had DA, if Sjax was there, if Dahl would have turned, if , if...
    I, just like you, thought we were past that stage and onto the real deal... that we were going to win or loose based on the talent and ejecution of our team... but we keep giving just too many advantages...
    I guess the IF factor is the difference between a .500 team and a playoff team...
    We look ways to take our edge off and level off with our opponent, it seems that we always find a way to get into the if... we played well against the eagles but...
    we were dominating the giants, but...
    now BAL comes to town I believe we can win, I really do, I see the names on the roster and feel confident, but... if....

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Nice article Cliff Saunders. I agree with you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    Nice article Cliff Saunders. I agree with you.
    Thankyou I agree with me to

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Thankyou I agree with me to
    So you are Cliff posting under an alias?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JPPDPurQB is offline Registered User

Bradford had an O for when pressured. I think it was 0 for 14, but it might have been 18. Not sure how many were dropped. He had a nice yard per attempt, which is on of Bill Parcells top three most important stat for quarterbacks. He also says stat people are morons.

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    So you are Cliff posting under an alias?
    I could be haha

Quote Originally Posted by JPPDPurQB View Post
    Bradford had an O for when pressured. I think it was 0 for 14, but it might have been 18. Not sure how many were dropped. He had a nice yard per attempt, which is on of Bill Parcells top three most important stat for quarterbacks. He also says stat people are morons.
    I have always loved The Tuna's way of putting things! lol