RamWraith is offline Registered User

Another Go-Round For Fakhir

By Howard Balzer
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fakhir Brown was shocked when he received word Sept. 24 he'd been released by the Rams. Even more surprised when he found out from his agent rather than from anyone associated with the team.

“This probably is one of the strangest (things),” Brown said. “There have been a lot of ups and downs but this right here was a shock. I was very shocked and surprised. Due to the fact that I was just getting back out there and getting comfortable because I missed training camp and the preseason. There was nothing I could do about it except to move forward so that’s what I did.”

It turns out the decision was made by then-coach Scott Linehan. Current coach Jim Haslett, then the defensive coordinator, had nothing to do with it.

Haslett tried to get Brown signed as soon as he was named to replace Linehan on Sept. 29. But agent Ted Marchibroda Jr. wanted to see what other interest there might be, and Brown wanted to make sure he was secure in St. Louis.

After Haslett called, Brown said, “I told him I would love to come back and play for him but I would have to talk to some people and make sure I was making the right move because it wasn’t Haslett’s fault I was gone. I didn’t know who was in charge of personnel and I could easily come back here and get released again. I didn’t know. I was just trying to find out what was really going on.”

Brown stayed in the St. Louis area working out. Then, cornerback Ricky Manning broke a bone in his foot against Washington, and Brown's services were needed more than ever because the team was down to three healthy cornerbacks.

“It’s good to have him back,” Haslett said. “I thought he was one of our better defensive backs and when he’s healthy he’s a pretty good corner. I know he’s excited about coming back.”

One of the reasons is the support Haslett has shown him over the years.

Said Brown, “Me and Jim Haslett have been real close for a long time. He had been loyal to me so I wanted to be loyal to him. We are friends; he’s not just my coach. There were teams that called me before I talked back with the Rams so I was preparing to go somewhere else. When coach Haslett and I talked, that’s when I decided to come back here.”

SIMPLY NOTING
    *Tackle Clint Oldenburg, one of the four players that had tryouts with the team Tuesday, was signed to the practice squad. … It was thought that the availability of wide receiver Dane Looker would lead to the release of Eddie Kennison. Last week, Kennison was cut and then brought back when the Rams learned about Looker's situation.

The Rams currently have eight receivers on the roster, an unusually high number: Torry Holt, Donnie Avery, Dante Hall, Keenan Burton, Kennison, Looker, Stanley and the injured Drew Bennett. Kennison could still be released, but not being cut by Tuesday guaranteed him another paycheck for this week.

*The Cowboys brought in two punters Tuesday for tryouts and signed Sam Paulescu. The other punter that worked out was Ben Graham, who was recently cut by the Jets, when theysigned former Rams draft choice Reggie Hodges.

*The Dolphins signed safety Brannon Condren, who was released by the Rams last Friday when wide receiver Derek Stanley was promoted from the practice squad

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Another Go-Round For Fakhir

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Howard Balzer
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fakhir Brown was shocked when he received word Sept. 24 he'd been released by the Rams. Even more surprised when he found out from his agent rather than from anyone associated with the team.

“This probably is one of the strangest (things),” Brown said. “There have been a lot of ups and downs but this right here was a shock. I was very shocked and surprised. Due to the fact that I was just getting back out there and getting comfortable because I missed training camp and the preseason. There was nothing I could do about it except to move forward so that’s what I did.”

It turns out the decision was made by then-coach Scott Linehan. Current coach Jim Haslett, then the defensive coordinator, had nothing to do with it.

Haslett tried to get Brown signed as soon as he was named to replace Linehan on Sept. 29. But agent Ted Marchibroda Jr. wanted to see what other interest there might be, and Brown wanted to make sure he was secure in St. Louis.

After Haslett called, Brown said, “I told him I would love to come back and play for him but I would have to talk to some people and make sure I was making the right move because it wasn’t Haslett’s fault I was gone. I didn’t know who was in charge of personnel and I could easily come back here and get released again. I didn’t know. I was just trying to find out what was really going on.”

Brown stayed in the St. Louis area working out. Then, cornerback Ricky Manning broke a bone in his foot against Washington, and Brown's services were needed more than ever because the team was down to three healthy cornerbacks.

“It’s good to have him back,” Haslett said. “I thought he was one of our better defensive backs and when he’s healthy he’s a pretty good corner. I know he’s excited about coming back.”

One of the reasons is the support Haslett has shown him over the years.

Said Brown, “Me and Jim Haslett have been real close for a long time. He had been loyal to me so I wanted to be loyal to him. We are friends; he’s not just my coach. There were teams that called me before I talked back with the Rams so I was preparing to go somewhere else. When coach Haslett and I talked, that’s when I decided to come back here.
    Another feather in Haslett's cap. In this case friends of Jim Haslett (FOJH)
    works for me.

Glad to have Brown back especially reading that he's happy to be back.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Another Go-Round For Fakhir

Good. Now Fakhir and Bartell at CB? That's probably the best combo we've had out there so far.