AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Another L.A. Ram Great Passes Away

Note: Apparently, the reference to "Criminal" is the name of a High School sports team. I think the article also spells his last name incorrectly.

On a personal note, when I was a kid, playing football with my friends, I usually "was" one of five players: Nat Moore, Lydell Mitchell, Billy Waddy, Harold Jackson or Ron Jessie.

In the end, our heroes are ordinary people. But, in the eyes of 9 year old, guys like Ron Jessie will always be larger than life.

RIP Ron Jessie.

Top Sports

Criminal legend passes on
    BY TAMMY KRIKORIAN, Sun Staff Writer
    Jan 16, 2006

Ron Jesse is something of a local legend, a three-sport athlete at Yuma High who went on to play in the National Football League for 11 years.

No matter how successful he became, his fellow players and former coaches say the 1966 graduate of Yuma High never forgot his glory days as a Criminal.

"He just lived a pretty dedicated life toward his alma mater and his coaches," said his Yuma High football coach, Frank Thomas, who added that Jesse would look him up when he came home to visit.

Jesse died at his home in Huntington Beach, Calif., on Friday. He was 57.

Born and raised in Yuma, Jesse was a dedicated athlete in his years at Yuma High and, some say, one of the best the school has ever seen.

"You'd love to have every year a Ron Jesse, because he just had so much talent," Thomas said. "He was probably the smoothest runner we ever had at Yuma High School, at least while I was coaching."

Bob McLendon, Jesse's high school basketball coach, described his former player as a natural athlete.

"Ron Jesse was one of the best all-around athletes I've ever seen," McLendon said. "He was a team player and he always was one of the first people on the court for practice and one of the last to leave."

McLendon said Jesse would do "extraordinary things" when the team needed him.

"If we needed a rebound, he would just kind of go up and almost scrape it off the ceiling," McLendon said.

As a football player, McLendon said Jesse was a "fearless competitor."

"I saw him do some things on the football field, especially when he played for the Rams, that were just extraordinary," McLendon said. "He was a wide receiver that was not afraid to catch a ball over the middle ... he took a lot of hits and bounced back and played for a number of years. He was a great player."

According to Sun archives, Jesse enrolled at Arizona Western College after high school, but was kicked off the team for missing practices.

"That was probably my biggest break," Jesse told The Sun in 1986. "The coaches at AWC said I was going to sit on the bench, so I enrolled at Imperial Valley College. IVC had a track team, and it was there that major colleges began to notice me."

In 1969, Jesse went to the University of Kansas on a scholarship where he competed in the NCAA National Indoor Track and Field Championships and placed first in the long jump. While at Kansas he also racked up more than 1,500 yards in total offense and scored five touchdowns, according to Sun archives.

His mother, Joy Hughes of Yuma, said Jesse was drafted from Kansas by the Dallas Cowboys, but was picked up by the Detroit Lions while he was in training camp.

Before the 1975 season, Jesse was traded to the Los Angeles Rams and, in 1977, he was selected to play in the Pro Bowl as a wide receiver.

Jesse was traded to the Buffalo Bills in 1981, and retired after that season, capping 11 years in the pros in which he caught 265 passes for 4,278 yards and 26 touchdowns.

Tom Tyree, a friend of Jesse and teammate on his high school basketball and football teams, said Jesse was "just a phenomenal athlete."

"An all-state football player, all-division basketball player, long jump state champion, he ran hurdles — did everything," Tyree said. "I saw the guy do things that were kind of hard to believe sometimes."

Tyree, who transferred to Yuma High from Kofa, said he wasn't sure how he and his brother would be received at Yuma, at a time when there were only the two high schools and he'd been competing against the players who would now be his teammates.

"One of the first people to embrace us and accept us was Ronnie," Tyree said. "He really helped us over there."

Tyree said in those days players could dunk during warm-ups, and people would show up early just to watch Jesse warm up before a game.

"(He was a) real legend," Jesse said. "It's hard to characterize some of the things I saw him do physically ... His ability to run and jump and do some of the things he did, you had to be there. While he was here, everybody would come to games to see him compete. For a long time I had to compete against him. I think it was better to be his teammate.

"He was a great running back who became a receiver, in college, the pros, basketball, what a great track athlete — he just did it all."

Joy Hughes, his mother, said Jesse was a dedicated player.

"He's witty, very funny and, in a way he was quiet," Hughes said.

When he retired from the NFL he became a scout for the Rams, she said, and his last job was in human resources for the Foundation for Resources in Newport Beach.

Hughes said in 2002 Jesse was inducted into the Hall of Fame at Imperial Valley College.

He is survived by his wife, Sharon Jesse of Huntington Beach, sons Brandon Jesse of San Diego and Ronald Jesse of Huntington Beach, daughter Felicia Imes of Jacksonville, N.C., and five grandchildren.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

Tammy Krikorian can be reached at

tkrikorian@yumasun.com or 539-6847. Copyright, YumaSun.com

Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-17-2006 at 11:30 AM.

Re: Another L.A. Ram Great Passes Away

Here's another article:

Former Rams receiver Ron Jessie dies

NFL.com wire reports HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. (Jan. 17, 2006) -- Ron Jessie, a former receiver who played 11 seasons in the NFL, has died. He was 57.
    Jessie died Friday after suffering a heart attack in his Huntington Beach home, said Brandon Jessie, one of his two sons.
    Jessie was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in the eighth round of the 1971 draft, but was traded that summer to the Detroit Lions, where he played for four seasons. Detroit traded him to the Los Angeles Rams in 1975 for a first-round draft pick.
    Jessie's best year was 1976, when he made the Pro Bowl after catching 34 passes for 779 yards and six touchdowns for the Rams.
    He was a member of the 1979 team that went to the Super Bowl, but injuries prevented him from playing in the 31-19 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.
    He played two more years with the Buffalo Bills before retiring after the 1981 season. He finished his career with 138 receptions for 4,276 yards and 30 touchdowns.
    Jessie played college football at the University of Kansas, where he was also an All-American long jumper.
    Jessie is survived by his wife, Sharon; a daughter, Felicia; and another son, Ron Jr.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

On a personal note, when I was a kid, playing football with my friends, I usually "was" one of five players: Nat Moore, Lydell Mitchell, Billy Waddy, Harold Jackson or Ron Jessie.
    I remember thinking I was Ron Jessie, Billy Waddy, or Preston Dennard; mimicking their moves, in slow motion of course.

What a start to the new year, loosing two former RAM greats.

R.I.P Ron Jessie :1:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Ron Jessie was a great all-purpose receiver.

I am sorry that his death was so unexpected. Our prayers will be with him and his family.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family. I miss two hours on the board in a meeting and another ram dies.

In the jewish religion, bad things happen in threes. God help all former rams these days, someones number is going to be up very soon.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

moklerman is offline Registered User

He finished his career with 138 receptions for 4,276 yards and 30 touchdowns.
    Can anyone verify these numbers? 30.96 yards per reception is pretty amazing over the course of a career.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another L.A. Ram Great Passes Away-pb250124.jpg   Another L.A. Ram Great Passes Away-49_1_b.jpg  

My research confirms the numbers in the other article:

265 receptions
    4,278 yards
    16.1 avg.
    26 TDs

Still, pretty darn good, especially for that era.

moklerman is offline Registered User

My research confirms the numbers in the other article:
    I think your numbers are a little more realistic. 31 yards a catch is pretty stratospheric. This hasn't been a good year for the Rams.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

RIP Jessie... Wow what is up with Ram Greats passing away suddenly?
    RamsFan16

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    RIP Jessie... Wow what is up with Ram Greats passing away suddenly?
    Yeah, no kidding. God bless and RIP Jack and Jessie.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I remember that Ron Jesse was injured and unable to play in the Super Bowl against the Steelers. I felt bad for him not getting the opportunity to play in the big game.

RIP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is offline Registered User

Another sports salute to another Rams receiver fallen. My sincerest sympathy to his family.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

this guy was one of my favorites growing up,our thoughts go out to his family,another tough day for the rams family.