AugustaRamFan Guest

Another Note to the Mods....

Wow... You guys have a major task ahead, develop a Ram "White Paper".

In the near term, is there anyway to look at the recent NFL drafts and looking at (or finding) the pundit ratings for those years as compared to how they actually turned out.

For example: The 2000 Ram Draft was given a "**" as a Grade in 2000. And looking at what we know about that draft how would you rate it in 2005.

I am not sure if all the data is available, but it would be interesting.

ARF

PS - I would do it... but you guys are so ggggoooooodddddd!!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Another Note to the Mods....

I did a quick Google search and came up with a few old draft grades. You can see that the analyses are generally hit-and-miss, and paint with a very broad brush.

I would have liked to have posted some of Kiper's old grades, but you have to pay for his site, and I wouldn't pay for that crap if I had more money than Bill Gates.

ProFootballWeekly 2004
    St. Louis Rams: B -

Got great value from the Pac-10, getting Steven Jackson at No. 24 and Brandon Chillar and Jason Shivers on the second day, but reached for Tony Hargrove and took a risk on Jeff Smoker.

Good call on Jackson and (somewhat) Chiller. Big miss on Shivers and Hargrove.

ProFootballWeekly 2003

St. Louis Rams

A nice draft for the Rams. DT Jimmy Kennedy has the potential to be a Pro Bowl-caliber player and anchor the Cover-2 defense. OLB Pisa Tinoisamoa is good in coverage and covers the field sideline-to-sideline, perfect for the Lovie Smith scheme. WRs Kevin Curtis and Shaun McDonald are speedy receivers who could be the team’s third and fourth receivers. CB DeJuan Groce is small, but he is aggressive and fills the punt-return role Dré Bly used to man. CB Shane Walton has less speed, but he and CB Kevin Garrett will both make this team. Cal OG Scott Tercero provides depth on the offensive line.

Jury's still out on Kennedy and Groce. Good call on Pisa, Curtis and McDonald. Missed on Walton.

ESPN: Len Pasquerelli 2003

Notable:St. Louis coaches got the defensive tackle they craved, albeit it not the one they figured would fall to them, but they aren't complaining. Jimmy Kennedy, the first-rounder, should help plug a porous middle and will team with former No. 1 Ryan Pickett, an emerging player, to give the club a couple of young and powerful tackles.
    Will start as a rookie: Unless third-year pro Damione Lewis can come back from the foot injuries that have stymied his development, it appears as if Kennedy will be penciled in as a starter. The former
    PennState standout can occupy two blockers but don't be surprised to see line coach Bill Kollar let him hit the gap in a three-technique position. It's doubtful that linebacker Piso Tinoisamoa (No. 2) will start but, as the Rams continue to shuffle the position, anything is possible.
    Best value: Three picks stand out as being of appropriate value -- wideout Kevin Curtis (No. 3), corneraback DeJuan Groce (No. 4) and defensive back Shane Walton (No. 5). Of the three, Curtis, with great speed and smarts on and off the field, probably has the best chance of playing early. Walton is a headhunter but does not run well.
    Boom or bust: Wide receiver Shaun McDonald (No. 4) certainly went to a team with the right kind of offense for him. Aligned in the slot, he could be a playmaker. But he does not play as quick as his stopwatch speed and will drop some easy passes. His most immediate value might be as a return man.
    Grade: B-

Pasquerelli's analysis is so noncomittal, its hardly worth mentioning.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Here's a few more:

From the 2001 draft
    By Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

The best and brightest -- and those who fell short -- in this year's NFL draft:

The Dean's list
    St. Louis Rams: They connected with three first-rounders on defense -- tackles Damione Lewis and Ryan Pickett and safety Adam Archuleta -- and kept rolling to get linebackers Tommy Polley and Brian Allen. Grade: A+
    From SI on the 2000 draft
    28. St. Louis. I have no idea why you take a Marshall Faulk (Trung Canidate) when you have a Marshall Faulk (Marshall Faulk).
    CBS' evaluation of 2000 draft done in 2003
    St. Louis Rams
    2000 SportsLine.com grade: C 2003 grade for same class: D

Best pick: Sixth-round DB Matt Bowen just signed a nice free-agent contract with the Redskins. He started two games with the Rams before moving on.

Blown pick: Coach Mike Martz was the one who wanted running back Trung Canidate in the first round, and he is the one who traded him to the Redskins this year.

Comment: The only quality player from this draft who will still be a major contributor this year is fifth-round DT Brian Young.
    from a niner website, yuck! on the 2002 draft
    St. Louis Rams: The only picks I liked by the Rams were LB's Robert Thomas and Courland Bullard. I feel that they really reached with CB Fisher and dont think WR Crouch or G Scott will pan out at all. Same with Bellisari. They should have drafted a real FS and signed Bellisari as an undrafted free agent. Gordon looks like a decent prospect but is he really the successor to Faulk? What about Canidate? I dont think Massey will stick unless the Rams unload either McCollum or Garcia. This draft will prove to be brutal within the next few years. Grade: D-
    and here's one for 2003
    Albeit somewhat quietly, the Rams enjoyed one of the better drafts. Though they were disappointed that Marcus Trufant didn’t continue to slide into their laps, the club wasted little time in selecting the other falling talent, Jimmy Kennedy. Kennedy doesn’t necessarily fit the mold of current St. Louis defensive linemen – which is precisely why he could prove to be a superb choice. Kennedy has the great strength and size to allow smaller, quicker one gap tackles like Ryan Pickett and Damione Lewis to slice through the line and keep blockers off the developing middle linebacker Robert Thomas. The next four choices were more to the Rams’ current style. Tinoisamoa is a superb fit in this scheme. Not as physical as Derrick Brooks, Lovie Smith could make him into a similar coverage and pursuit threat. Kevin Curtis could prove to be one of the real gems of this draft. He has the speed and savvy to eventually be a star in this scheme. Shaun McDonald is a Az Hakim clone with good speed and even better quickness. Dejuan Groce has excellent man to man skills, but lacks the pure speed most teams want, especially the Rams. That said, he might be the draft’s top punt returner. Of the late round picks, several stand out though for different reasons. Dan Curley is a legitimate NFL athlete, but has really struggled to remain healthy. Shane Walton proved to be an incredible playmaker, but like Groce before him, lacks pure speed. One thing Kevin Garrett does not lack is speed. Garrett slipped because he is only 5’9, but is one of the fastest players in the draft and has the man to man skills to handle nickel responsibilities. Of the final picks, Scott Tercero is soft, but has an upside. Shanle is a better football player than athlete, whereas Angelo is pretty raw. Both were solid choices, however, at this point in the draft. Overall Draft Grade: A-
    here's another one from 2000
    ST. LOUIS

1 31 RB Arizona Trung Canidate
    2 62 CB Oklahoma St. Jacoby Shepard
    3 94 C Virginia John St. Clair
    4 104 OG Hawaii Kaulana Noa
    5 139 DL U.T.E.P. Brian Young
    6 198 DB Iowa Matt Bower
    7 220 OL San Diego St Andrew Kline
    St. Louis' draft seemed to resemble that of the NY Giants last year. Canidate in round one? Shepard in round two? Both could eventually become solid contributors, but the Rams could have either player up late in round three. St. Clair and Noa will add descent line depth. Andrew Kline could eventually be better than both.
    Overall grade: D
    Last edited by HUbison; -04-27-2005 at 04:00 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Basically, these things are formulaic:

_______ was a reach.

_______ has some upside, but some risk.

_______ reminds me of ___________.

_______ showed some promise, but is limited in his ability to ___________.

_______ may pan out, or may not.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Basically, these things are formulaic:

_______ was a reach.

_______ has some upside, but some risk.

_______ reminds me of ___________.

_______ showed some promise, but is limited in his ability to ___________.

_______ may pan out, or may not.
    But what everyone doesn't know is, it's the same formula Dez uses to pick moderators. For example,

_Avenger______ was a reach.

_Avenger______ has some upside, but some risk.

__Nick_____ reminds me of __Avenger_________.

__Nick_____ showed some promise, but is limited in his ability to _be like Avenger__________.

_HUbison______ may pan out, or may not

See, it works here too. :redface:
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    But what everyone doesn't know is, it's the same formula Dez uses to pick moderators. For example,

_Avenger______ was a reach.

_Avenger______ has some upside, but some risk.

__Nick_____ reminds me of __Avenger_________.

__Nick_____ showed some promise, but is limited in his ability to _be like Avenger__________.

_HUbison______ may pan out, or may not

See, it works here too. :redface:
    Oh, man, that was funny HU!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coy bacon Guest

This jury has come back with a verdict on Kennedy: bust!

CBS and the four tee neiners sites seemed to be the most accurate.

Len Pascarille (sp) seemed to be the most off base... another, "dufus writer talkin"

I think AV highlights the weakness of the professional "analysts". They are paid to talk about all kinds of sports and all the teams involved. They just can't possibly know, so they surf, cut, paste and repeat what others say. Some just are well know and they make good money doing so. For example, you have AV's post detailing the copious and somewhat contradictory comments made by that dufus Mel Kiper about Barron.

And that, ladies and gents, is why we need our best guys, doing the analysis.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Did you watch the games last year?

Do we really have to explain Kennedy's development again?

You have heard that it typically takes 3 years for DT's to develop from college right?

These are all questions I have for such a statement.
    Last edited by HUbison; -04-28-2005 at 08:55 AM.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Re: Another Note to the Mods...

fftopic: Haven't heard from Dez. Is he okay?

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Another Note to the Mods...

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    fftopic: Haven't heard from Dez. Is he okay?
    Dez was around yesterday. I want to know where adarian is. I can't believe he had nothing to say about the draft.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Within the next 3 seasons, Kennedy will be named to the pro-bowl team.

coy bacon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    You have heard that it typically takes 3 years for DT's to develop from college right?
    Zig,
    I'm not sure but how many years have Lewis and Pickett have to "develop"?

Maybe Kennedy will one day turn out to be wonderdog, but so far he's been a dud. I've expected more from a 1st rounder, a pick that has produced very little during the last couple years. We should have kept Young and Jeff Z, and dumped these guys.

coy doesn't like our DTs!?!?!?!

SFCRamFan Guest

Analyst...break it down and the first part of the name stinks as bad as their material ...A-N-A-L...anal... :tongue:

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Picket has not been a bust I guess you would say lewis is based on his play and no 12 pick kennedy was not fit for nfl play his first season and he was injured last year when he seemed to be making an impact this year will be the one to see if he is capable of being a good player hopefully he will stay fit and prove it