Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,616
    Rep Power
    82

    any free agent centers available?

    stupid question,but are there any vet centers floating around out there? preferably one that hasnt been part of the browns recently. Is a trade even remotely feasible if andy is out for the year?

    On the other hand, maybe turner will improve and was just shellshocked getting thrown in week one. We are going to find out very quickly if he is our center of the future, if not, that will be a big area to address.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel



  2. #2
    Fargo Ram Fan's Avatar
    Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Fargo,ND
    Age
    50
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: any free agent centers available?

    They just got an interior lineman...Goldberg...time to get him in there. He has played some at center as has Incognito. If necessary they can slide Incognito over and plug in Goldberg...cant be worse than this Turner fella. Isnt this the reason why they went out and got a player like Goldberg?
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

  3. #3
    RamsFan16's Avatar
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Age
    25
    Posts
    5,072
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: any free agent centers available?

    If I were the Rams I'd move Cog to C and let Setterstorm play LG. But Coachs know best.
    RamsFan16

  4. #4
    jjigga3000's Avatar
    jjigga3000 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    1,445
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: any free agent centers available?

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    stupid question,but are there any vet centers floating around out there? preferably one that hasnt been part of the browns recently. Is a trade even remotely feasible if andy is out for the year?

    On the other hand, maybe turner will improve and was just shellshocked getting thrown in week one. We are going to find out very quickly if he is our center of the future, if not, that will be a big area to address.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    Did I miss somehting? Is McCollum out for the season.

  5. #5
    Fargo Ram Fan's Avatar
    Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Fargo,ND
    Age
    50
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: any free agent centers available?

    The coach reported it 'didnt look good' after the game.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

  6. #6
    RamWraith's Avatar
    RamWraith is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    44
    Posts
    8,230
    Rep Power
    61

    Re: any free agent centers available?

    I THINK I am OK with Turner. He didn't do anything that bad that told me other wise. He missed one block that I can remember and that ain't bad coming off the bench cold against a pretty damn good front line.

    I say give the kid a chance and see IF he is the future. I wan't all that impressed with him any way (along with Timmerman). I believe they both have lost a step or five.

  7. #7
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,531
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: any free agent centers available?

    Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    I THINK I am OK with Turner. He didn't do anything that bad that told me other wise. He missed one block that I can remember and that ain't bad coming off the bench cold against a pretty damn good front line.
    I recall two, one on a Jackson run and one that got Bulger sacked. He may have missed more but those two stood out to me.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  8. #8
    RamWraith's Avatar
    RamWraith is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    44
    Posts
    8,230
    Rep Power
    61

    Re: any free agent centers available?

    Under that same pretense then, Barron should be benched next week *LOL* :x


    Come on! Give the kid some love ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I recall two, one on a Jackson run and one that got Bulger sacked. He may have missed more but those two stood out to me.

  9. #9
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,531
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: any free agent centers available?

    Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Under that same pretense then, Barron should be benched next week *LOL* :x

    Come on! Give the kid some love ;-)
    I didn't say it was reason enough to bench him, but it's concerning if McCollum is going to be out long term. I personally am not very confident in him, not just because of this game but because of his inability to really stick with the Rams previously and the Bengals. Furthermore let's not forget that McCollum is an intelligent player who made the line calls. Does Turner fill that role if Andy misses time? I'm not so sure. I don't think there's a vet out there who I would feel good signing to replace Larry, but I don't feel good with him in the starting line-up either. Maybe he makes me eat some crow on that opinion. I'd much rather be wrong about him than right.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  10. #10
    Fat Pang's Avatar
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: any free agent centers available?

    In the short to medium term I'd say it has to be Turner. Centre isn't a position where you can just plug and play, so the emphasis for me is to get Turner ready to play for at least the next couple of weeks. Front office look for cover at the position in the meantime and we see how he does.

    Nick's right, who is out there that strikes you as capable of doing a better job than Turner?

    Damn bad luck for McCollum though.

  11. #11
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,531
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: any free agent centers available?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    In the short to medium term I'd say it has to be Turner. Centre isn't a position where you can just plug and play, so the emphasis for me is to get Turner ready to play for at least the next couple of weeks. Front office look for cover at the position in the meantime and we see how he does.

    Nick's right, who is out there that strikes you as capable of doing a better job than Turner?

    Damn bad luck for McCollum though.
    It's a position we really haven't seriously addressed in a long time. The centers we've drafted are moved from the position (St. Clair, Incognito). I think the only halfway serious free agent signing we've made at the position since McCollum in '99 was Dave Wohlabaugh, and that one flopped like a fish on the cutting board.

    Unfortunately I don't think Turner is the future of the position, so it's going to have to be something we look at.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  12. #12
    Fat Pang's Avatar
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: any free agent centers available?

    I'd have to agree, but I just hope we don't end up resorting to a Nutten/Dishman type move in the interim. FO might have to be more creative than that.

  13. #13
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,404
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: any free agent centers available?

    GC, a very important question, in fact. One that the Rams coaches must surely be pondering as we speak! So much depends on the seriousness of Andy's injury.


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike
    This is extremely bad news. When McCollum left the game, things went south in a hurry. Turner was absolutely horrible today, hopefully he can turn that around because it looks like he's slated to be the guy for now.[/QUOTE]

    In that case, I hope Setterstrom is ready. By all accounts he was solid in training camp and has worked with the starting O-line. My guess is that they move Incognito to center and plug Setterstrom in at LG if Turner can't handle the job. Claude Terrell's injury doesn't help the situation much. This could become a huge concern if nobody steps up. --EvilDiscoMan
    I'm still sticking to that comment by EDM. :r If McCollum is out for one to several weeks, get Richie in there!
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-11-2006 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Quoted by, name

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •