general counsel is offline Registered User

any free agent centers available?

stupid question,but are there any vet centers floating around out there? preferably one that hasnt been part of the browns recently. Is a trade even remotely feasible if andy is out for the year?

On the other hand, maybe turner will improve and was just shellshocked getting thrown in week one. We are going to find out very quickly if he is our center of the future, if not, that will be a big area to address.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Re: any free agent centers available?

They just got an interior lineman...Goldberg...time to get him in there. He has played some at center as has Incognito. If necessary they can slide Incognito over and plug in Goldberg...cant be worse than this Turner fella. Isnt this the reason why they went out and got a player like Goldberg?
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

If I were the Rams I'd move Cog to C and let Setterstorm play LG. But Coachs know best.
    RamsFan16

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    stupid question,but are there any vet centers floating around out there? preferably one that hasnt been part of the browns recently. Is a trade even remotely feasible if andy is out for the year?

On the other hand, maybe turner will improve and was just shellshocked getting thrown in week one. We are going to find out very quickly if he is our center of the future, if not, that will be a big area to address.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Did I miss somehting? Is McCollum out for the season.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

The coach reported it 'didnt look good' after the game.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I THINK I am OK with Turner. He didn't do anything that bad that told me other wise. He missed one block that I can remember and that ain't bad coming off the bench cold against a pretty damn good front line.

I say give the kid a chance and see IF he is the future. I wan't all that impressed with him any way (along with Timmerman). I believe they both have lost a step or five.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    I THINK I am OK with Turner. He didn't do anything that bad that told me other wise. He missed one block that I can remember and that ain't bad coming off the bench cold against a pretty damn good front line.
    I recall two, one on a Jackson run and one that got Bulger sacked. He may have missed more but those two stood out to me.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Under that same pretense then, Barron should be benched next week *LOL* :x

Come on! Give the kid some love ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I recall two, one on a Jackson run and one that got Bulger sacked. He may have missed more but those two stood out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Under that same pretense then, Barron should be benched next week *LOL* :x

Come on! Give the kid some love ;-)
    I didn't say it was reason enough to bench him, but it's concerning if McCollum is going to be out long term. I personally am not very confident in him, not just because of this game but because of his inability to really stick with the Rams previously and the Bengals. Furthermore let's not forget that McCollum is an intelligent player who made the line calls. Does Turner fill that role if Andy misses time? I'm not so sure. I don't think there's a vet out there who I would feel good signing to replace Larry, but I don't feel good with him in the starting line-up either. Maybe he makes me eat some crow on that opinion. I'd much rather be wrong about him than right.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

In the short to medium term I'd say it has to be Turner. Centre isn't a position where you can just plug and play, so the emphasis for me is to get Turner ready to play for at least the next couple of weeks. Front office look for cover at the position in the meantime and we see how he does.

Nick's right, who is out there that strikes you as capable of doing a better job than Turner?

Damn bad luck for McCollum though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    In the short to medium term I'd say it has to be Turner. Centre isn't a position where you can just plug and play, so the emphasis for me is to get Turner ready to play for at least the next couple of weeks. Front office look for cover at the position in the meantime and we see how he does.

Nick's right, who is out there that strikes you as capable of doing a better job than Turner?

Damn bad luck for McCollum though.
    It's a position we really haven't seriously addressed in a long time. The centers we've drafted are moved from the position (St. Clair, Incognito). I think the only halfway serious free agent signing we've made at the position since McCollum in '99 was Dave Wohlabaugh, and that one flopped like a fish on the cutting board.

Unfortunately I don't think Turner is the future of the position, so it's going to have to be something we look at.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I'd have to agree, but I just hope we don't end up resorting to a Nutten/Dishman type move in the interim. FO might have to be more creative than that.

RealRam is offline Registered User

GC, a very important question, in fact. One that the Rams coaches must surely be pondering as we speak! So much depends on the seriousness of Andy's injury.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike
    This is extremely bad news. When McCollum left the game, things went south in a hurry. Turner was absolutely horrible today, hopefully he can turn that around because it looks like he's slated to be the guy for now.[/QUOTE]

In that case, I hope Setterstrom is ready. By all accounts he was solid in training camp and has worked with the starting O-line. My guess is that they move Incognito to center and plug Setterstrom in at LG if Turner can't handle the job. Claude Terrell's injury doesn't help the situation much. This could become a huge concern if nobody steps up. --EvilDiscoMan
    I'm still sticking to that comment by EDM. :r If McCollum is out for one to several weeks, get Richie in there!
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-11-2006 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Quoted by, name