Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RAMFANRAIDERHATER
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 1 Post By kman

Thread: Any thoughts on kirk cousins?

general counsel is online now Registered User

Any thoughts on kirk cousins?

i watched cousins play several games last year (as i was cheering for the skins to lose to help our draft situation) and he was very impressive. I am not sure what his contract situation is, but logic tells me the skins are going to have to trade him sooner rather than later or lose him and get nothing.

Cousins or not, i am not convinced the rams necessarily need to use a high draft pick to get another guy. There may be someone out there on an nfl roster that can be acquired (ie a cousins or the saints guy). And the trade doesnt have to be right now.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Mikey is offline Registered User

Re: Any thoughts on kirk cousins?

IMO he's no better than what we know we have in Shaun Hill. It will take any QB we trade for time to acclimate to the offense so we're going to start Hill for at least a few weeks anyways. Keep whatever draft pick the Skins would try to fleece us for and use it to build the line up around whichever QB we take next year in the 1st round.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

No to Kirk or any QB that will cost us a draft pick, we aren't going to the Superbowl and possibly/probably not even the playoffs with any QB that's out there that we could get right now. No need to pay for mediocrity. Roll with Hill, see how it goes. Then next year, start fresh.

general counsel is online now Registered User

I wasn't suggesting that we make a trade right now (thats why i caveated my post with the statement that the trade doesnt need to be now). I wouldnt give up a thing for a qb right now unless its something we dont want anyway. Personally, i think we give it our best shot with Hill. Maybe he is good enough to win plenty of games, who knows.

To me, it still comes down to the offensive line, and especially our ability to stay healthy at the offensive line positions. If we dont perform on the o line, neither sammy, hill, nor johnny unitas is going to win many games for our team. If Hill gets hurt, we are going to be looking at a very high pick and in that event, i agree we should go franchise qb if we think one is available.

My point is that at the end of the year if we go say 7-9 or even 6-10 and we dont think we can get a franchise qb where we are picking, i would rather use our #1pick (ie pick about #14) on a guy we think can make an impact and trade a #2 for a guy like cousins, rather than use a pick in the teens to grab a qb who is not a top tier guy. I would rather have someone with some experience who has played in an nfl game and shown some ability to perform.

Any trade we try to make now for this year wont help us now because (i) we will get held up, and (ii) the guy wont know the system anyway. However, at the end of the year, the market for guys for the future is broader than the draft, and that i still think is a fair comment.

For people to want one of the top 3 guys, we have to be thinking that we are going to be awfully bad this year and i tend to agree that we can win games with Hill if our offensive line can play (a real IF for sure).

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

After the Shanahan's boasted that they should be able to get a number 1 for Cousins, he went out and stunk it up throwing 4 TD's and 7 Int's with a rating of 58.4 in 3 starts and 5 games total last year. I'm not sold on the idea that Kirk is worth trading for at all, this year, or next year. Starting 4 games and playing in 8 games total in his career doesn't makes his experience worth that much in my opinion.

Kirk may get more starts this year since I think RG3 will get injured again this season at some point. It depends on if Kirk can do anything if he is afforded the opportunity. Time will tell.

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

Agree 100% the trade doesn't need to be now. In fact, Fisher said as much in the presser earlier (something about how the worst thing to do would be to make an immediate reaction on bringing someone in). Time to take stock and make a considered choice.

As for Cousins, I thought he was decent but don't see enough there that I feel he's an elite QB in the future. Rather the Rams went with what they've got and looked to pick the right guy up at the right time, personally. Agree that that time is end of year, once we have a view of the market and what we're playing with.

For me the priority remains to build an O-line that doesn't see the QB routinely damaged. Until then, as you say, it doesn't matter who's back there. We've already beaten up two potentially very good QBs in Bulger and Bradford imo. Taking another before we've got a line that offers the necessary protection...yeah, we've seen how that works out.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Absolutely not. I say ride out this year with what they have and draft the QB of the future in 2015. Besides, there is no way the Redskins part with Cousins. IMHO they're in the same shape as the Rams. A fragile QB waiting to go down again...
    Mikey likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

No way. Lets go on with Hill.
    Mikey likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

kman is offline Registered User

I really don't think hes much of an upgrade over shaun hill..they key is how much redskins will ask for..you know damn well they've been hearing how they get roped by the rams bigtime with the rg3 trade,,you know they are going to try to recoup through this trade and ask for kings ransom..net-net, no thanks..ill ride it out with hill this year..
    Mikey likes this.