Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Anybody doubting that DEFENSE wins Championships?

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Anybody doubting that DEFENSE wins Championships?

After watching Seattle's defense totally dominate arguably the best offense in NFL history, I am more convinced than ever that an OT with our 2nd pick is completely foolish, particularly if the best player in the draft is still on the board.

We need a dominant defense PERIOD.

Thoughts are not only welcomed but encouraged.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -02-02-2014 at 11:36 PM.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Re: Anybody doubting that DEFENSE wins Championships?

Did you also notice that Seattles OLine continually opened up lanes for the ground game? Or the fact that Denver never touched Wilson all game? I understand that defense wins games but unless we trade or cut Long he's not going to play more than obvious passing plays on 3rd down. To say that the defense was the only thing that won this game is very short sided. Seattle dominated both lines of scrimmage, dominated special teams, dominated the turnover, dominated on 3rd downs and dominated most importantly in game plan and the execution of it.

Seattle has built this team with quality draft picks in every round and with some wise free agent money. Seattles starting DLine has a 3rd a 4th and 2 UDFA. So obviously we need to copy them cut Quinn and Long and Brockers and use some late round picks on DLine then we'll have a good DLine.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    I agree that defense wins championships, but the best way to beat a great defense is with a dominating OL, so a guy like Matthews still makes a lot of sense.

Also...not to be the grammar police... but "dominate" is a verb. The adjective form is "dominant." I've seen this error so many times that it's become something of a pet peeve.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-02-2014 at 11:16 PM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

To reiterate, "Welcome Gregg Williams!" Now, please prepare the Rams D to help sack Seattle!

We're just going to have to upgrade the OL AND improve overall D! IMPROVE OVERALL RAMS D!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I agree that defense wins championships, but the best way to beat a great defense is with a dominating OL, so a guy like Matthews still makes a lot of sense.

Also...not to be the grammar police... but "dominate" is a verb. The adjective form is "dominant." I've seen this error so many times that it's become something of a pet peeve.
    Yeah, thanks for the correction, pet peeve of mine also. I will make the adjustment right away.

As for your theory of a dominating Oline being the best way to beat a great defense all I have to say is, SF's oline couldn't do it and Denver's oline couldn't do it. As a result the number one defense stands on top of the entire NFL.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Message to Rams:

Once and for all would you please fix the OL.

Denvers Oline is nowhere near dominant, they have several backups in there primarily at LT where their starter went down in week 2. The whiners line did fine the reason they lost in the NFCG was turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Did you also notice that Seattles OLine continually opened up lanes for the ground game? Or the fact that Denver never touched Wilson all game? I understand that defense wins games but unless we trade or cut Long he's not going to play more than obvious passing plays on 3rd down. To say that the defense was the only thing that won this game is very short sided. Seattle dominated both lines of scrimmage, dominated special teams, dominated the turnover, dominated on 3rd downs and dominated most importantly in game plan and the execution of it.

Seattle has built this team with quality draft picks in every round and with some wise free agent money. Seattles starting DLine has a 3rd a 4th and 2 UDFA. So obviously we need to copy them cut Quinn and Long and Brockers and use some late round picks on DLine then we'll have a good DLine.
    The DEFENSE won this game, and it doesn't take a rhode scholar to see it.

It does require an unbiased opinion however, which seems to have escaped you.

Nontheless, anytime your defense outscores a Peyton Manning led offense 9 to 8, you have won this game my friend, no matter what you say to try to counter my point.

No need to respond to your ridiculous sarcasm, so I won't.

Denvers Oline is nowhere near dominant, they have several backups in there primarily at LT where their starter went down in week 2. The whiners line did fine the reason they lost in the NFCG was turnovers.
    Ok how about this.....the sky is blue most of the time.
    RamDez likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    The DEFENSE won this game, and it doesn't take a rhode scholar to see it.

It does require an unbiased opinion however, which seems to have escaped you.

Nontheless, anytime your defense outscores a Peyton Manning led offense 9 to 8, you have won this game my friend, no matter what you say to try to counter my point.

No need to respond to your ridiculous sarcasm, so I won't.
    What ridiculous sarcasm? I pointed out that the seaducks beat them in every aspect of the game. Including defense. You're saying the only way we can surpass them is by drafting Clowney which I find to be wrong. We have a better Dline than they do already without adding a backup like Clowney to the fold. We need to improve our safety play, our corner depth and continue to develop the young players we've added the last two years. Seattle's defense didn't become the beast that it is in one season and we won't match them in one more draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Ok how about this.....the sky is blue most of the time.
    Sounds right to me. BTW now he's resorting to ridiculous sarcasm?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What ridiculous sarcasm? I pointed out that the seaducks beat them in every aspect of the game. Including defense. You're saying the only way we can surpass them is by drafting Clowney which I find to be wrong. We have a better Dline than they do already without adding a backup like Clowney to the fold. We need to improve our safety play, our corner depth and continue to develop the young players we've added the last two years. Seattle's defense didn't become the beast that it is in one season and we won't match them in one more draft.
    It's not as though we're starting from scratch.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

This may be a good time to point out that, according to the NFL.com gamebook of the Super Bowl, the Seattle team that won this evening started twice as many first round OL (Okung [a Top Six pick], Carpenter) as their entire defense fielded (Thomas). In fact, I think Thomas and Bruce Irvin might be the only actual first rounders on the Seattle defense.

While Seattle's win may be a strong statement about the merits of a top defense, they also showcase that you certainly don't need to load your defense up with high draft picks - especially at positions of strength - to reach that caliber of play. Some of their best players (Sherman, Thurmond, Maxwell, Chancellor, Smith) were Day Three picks.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-03-2014 at 12:05 AM.
    RamDez and HUbison like this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Defense won the game but if we want to address OUR problems on defense, we best find a complementary pass rushing DT, a true free safety, and some depth at other established positions. The Seahawks have a phenomenal GM with John Schneider and a coach who brings the best out of these so-called "nobodies".

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

IMO a dominating defense is going to beat a dominating offense more often than not, which is why if I were the Rams I would load up on the defensive side of the ball. Besides their defense, the reason the Hawks beat up on the Broncos was because Denver wasn't able to consistently put pressure on Wilson without blitzing. Do I think it was because the Hawks have a great offensive line... not necessarily. I think it had more to do with Denver just not having the players to do it. There's a reason the Rams always play close games against Seattle, and it's because they can pressure the QB with just their front four. I'm not saying I wouldn't draft an OLineman, I'm just saying I wouldn't reach for one.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast