Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Anybody doubting that DEFENSE wins Championships?

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Anybody doubting that DEFENSE wins Championships?

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post

Draft an O-lineman at #2? At #13? I don’t pretend to know how high we should select our first OT, because I am a fan, not a professional evaluator of talent. However I do know we have clear needs on our O-line. If we cannot find a trading partner for our #2 pick, and Clowney is (in Les/Fisher’s opinion) a once in a decade talent, then ok, take him, and make Fortununinerhater happy.
    You just summed the whole draft up in one paragraph and not the part about Fortyninerhater lol… Nicely done my friend...

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The only reason I enjoyed the Super Bowl was because a defense was destroying an offense.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Offenses don't win championships. Defenses don't win championships.

Teams win championships.
    I've been waiting for someone to give special teams some dang credit!
    MauiRam and gap like this.

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    DEFENSE OR OFFENSE ??

Defense wins championships .. But, but, but?

Aren't games are won by the team that scores the most points?

Offenses generally score more points than defenses. (Even the Rams O.)

A good defense can be worn down. How? By having to stay on the field defending long drives over and over.

A great offensive line gradually imposes its will on a defense - particularly during the second half of a game.

A dominant O-line must be balanced: Protect the quarterback, and smash open holes for the ground game.

A worn out defense is no longer a dominant defense.

Being dominant on one side of the ball (on O or D) might get you to a championship, but winning it requires that both sides hold up their end. I do not believe that one side is more important than the other. They are both equally important.

Draft an O-lineman at #2? At #13? I don’t pretend to know how high we should select our first OT, because I am a fan, not a professional evaluator of talent. However I do know we have clear needs on our O-line. If we cannot find a trading partner for our #2 pick, and Clowney is (in Les/Fisher’s opinion) a once in a decade talent, then ok, take him, and make Fortununinerhater happy.

Need vs value is always part of the equation - I'm confident the Rams’ braintrust will get it right.

Football is a team sport period. No one will ever convince me that one side of the ball is more important than the other. Regardless of how great our D is, if they can’t stay off the field long enough to catch their breath and rest up a bit, by the end of the game they’ll be porous - period!

My foremost wish for this offseason is that whatever it takes, we somehow acquire a few athletic monsters to strengthen our O-line. We need our offense to line up on obvious running downs, and generate enough push, explosion (pick a word that suits you), and get 2 yards on 3rd and 2. We need to do it consistently enough that it engenders respect, and ultimately fear. After all, if you really want a dominant defense Fortuninerhater, you’ll have to admit that dominant D will need to stay off the field long enough to recoup now and then.

Instead of this rant, I could have just said: Football really is a “team” sport. But this was more fun ..
    I've spoken my piece on this subject and am thoroughly satisfied with my stance on the matter. Say whatever you like, but a dominating defense just dominated the most productive offense in NFL history.

If that didn't help drive my point accross, then there's nothing more to say.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -02-05-2014 at 10:50 PM.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I've spoken my piece on this subject and am thoroughly satisfied with my stance on the matter. Say whatever you like, but a dominating defense just dominated the most productive offense in NFL history.

Well as HUbison pointed out, last year the #10 offense took down the #2 defense. That seems to contradict your stance that because the #1 defense took down the #1 offense, that's an open and shut case for defenses.

I think it would be a mistake to dismiss that as just an anomaly. The seahawks won the big game, but they didn't go undefeated with their #1 defense either, losing to teams without #1 defenses or #1 offenses. It's the Any Given Sunday effect, and it's magnified because of how badly the Broncos lost. But that one game doesn't prove that a great defense will always win. Also, the Broncos lost games to teams without #1 ranked defenses as well.

It is, as has been discussed and I think you've acknowledged, a balancing act between defense and offense. A dominant defense is great, but it doesn't guarantee superbowls when the offense struggles to produce. Look at the Bears. Since 2001 they have had a top 5 defense five times, twice being the #1 ranked defense. Their only trip to the superbowl was when they had the #3 ranked defense, and #2 ranked offense (In terms of total points scored, 8 touchdowns came from ST/Def that year), and they lost that one. At the end of the day, the Bears needed offense, and they didn't get it in the Superbowl against the 23rd ranked Colts defense. The Bears offense only mustered a touchdown and a field goal, with Devin Hester providing a kickoff return touchdown.

The point is just, one dominant aspect of a team does not guarantee superbowls. I'd have to agree with you that, as a general rule, a dominant defense is more likely to take the team to the superbowl than just a dominant offense. However, I think a proper balance of the two is the right way to go, and to me that means in this draft looking at OT early to solidify the line so our offense can stay on the field longer, and give our defense the rest they need to stay sharp, and the lead to protect. I feel like our offense goes 3 and out far too often, which wears our defense out, and that needs to change.
    HUbison, Nick, MauiRam and 1 others like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Berg8309 View Post

It is, as has been discussed and I think you've acknowledged, a balancing act between defense and offense.

[...]
    The point is just, one dominant aspect of a team does not guarantee Superbowls. I'd have to agree with you that, as a general rule, a dominant defense is more likely to take the team to the Superbowl than just a dominant offense. However, I think a proper balance of the two is the right way to go...

-- Bold RR
    And therein, again, is the answer to the mystery for all of us grasshoppers. B A L A N C E.

The "solution" had already been mentioned but somehow we kept mixing in overkill arguments.

Mikey is online now Registered User

In two games vs the Seaducks we held them to 41 points. A safety fewer than the Bronco's did in the super bowl. Unfortunately we only managed 18 points in those two games. Granted we had captain 3rd string Kellen running the show and with Sam we should have one at least one of them. But it seems to me with the numbers we've held Wilson to our defense, without being tops in the NFL, was enough to handle them. An upgraded offense would have done wonders though. A healthy OLine managed 200 yards rushing. A banged up and back up OLine managed 13 yards on 18 carries.

Stats on Wilson in two games was 25 of 41 61% completion. 311 yards, 127 yards on two busted coverage plays for touchdowns. We weren't able to force him into any turn overs but we did sack him eleven times. With a few upgrades, namely FS, continued growth and the addition of Williams when and if he's signed this defense will continue to handle the ducks. Bottom third again in offense points won't cut it for long.
    MauiRam likes this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

At the same time, the #17 offense (Seahawks) destroyed the #19 Defense (Broncos). Wilson was under barely no pressure all day, suggesting that a decent OL would be a good way forward.

And the Broncos got beat in the passing game in the slot and deep down field due to poor tackling and coverage, that suggests the Rams need a decent slot corner and a great free safety

Therefore I put the teams needs to OT, CB and FS

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Therefore I put the teams needs to OT, CB and FS
    I'd have those three as the Rams biggest needs too, with WR and DT not far behind

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456