Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By MauiRam
  • 1 Post By gap
  • 1 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 2 Post By Randart
  • 2 Post By RebelYell
  • 1 Post By laram0

Thread: Anyone else enjoy last night's game commentary?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Anyone else enjoy last night's game commentary?

Dan Dierdorf was a breath of fresh air last night. Much of the time when Iíve viewed Ram games, or even listened on the radio, it seems the announcers are covering for the opposing team. I donít know if Dan has aligned his allegiance with the Rams or not, after all he played for the Cardinals. That said, he certainly has St. Louis ties.

I met Dan once many years ago here on Maui, (heíd just played in the Pro Bowl) and was here for some R&R. Dan was just as candid and down to earth then as he appears now. He had a lot to say about Bill Bidwell Ė not his favorite guy. I digress ..

Danís comments last night regarding Fishís approach to preseason games were refreshing to hear (for me anyway). Dan's comments on Jeff's apparent non-concern for winning explained in a few sentences what I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to explain to my wife since the preseason started.

Weíve all heard the phrase over the years: ďHeís a playerís coach.Ē Dan took the opportunity to flesh that phrase out a bit with Fish as an example. In particular, highlighting the opportunity given to Tim Jenkins to play as it seems pretty obvious Tim will not make our team. There were plenty of other little nuggets as well. I am hoping weíll have the opportunity see him again as a commentator for a Ram game.

There may be some of you who donít care for Dan, and thatís cool. Some people like vanilla (sorry Ė couldnít resist) and others prefer something else. In summation Iíll say this - I wish Dan was still doing Monday Night Football instead of John Grusome.
    RealRam, ram3057, lostsoul and 1 others like this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Re: Anyone else enjoy last night's game commentary?

It was refreshing to have an "away game" that was called by someone other than a brash cheerleader for the home team.

As to Dan's character, my wife used to serve him at Mr. Steak in St. Charles, and he was always very polite and respectful. It helped that my wife wasn't much into sports, and she didn't gush over him like some of the other wait staff did.

Some people refer to him as Mr. Obvious, but they forget that he is one of the "1st team" announcers for CBS, and they frequently get the audience of the bandwagon folks that don't know the game as well as real fans do. If he doesn't break it down barney style, CBS would probably have lower ratings.

gap
    lostsoul likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    It was refreshing to have an "away game" that was called by someone other than a brash cheerleader for the home team.
    Precisely!!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

In today's day and age of throwing every ex-player into the booth/studio and passing them off as trained announcers, Dierdorf is one of the better guys out there. His commentary is usually positive yet he's not afraid to fairly criticize if it is warranted. Last night was no different.

Contrast his performance with that of Mr. Bernie Kosar a couple of weeks ago...
    MauiRam likes this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

It was great. I agree with all you said.

Randart is offline Registered User

I am a Dan fan always have been... Enjoyed him as a player and now as an announcer for many years! Class guy or so it seems to me I never met the guy, but he was awesome last nite. He is positive as noted for both sides and when he sees failing he mentions that in a fair light as well. Not really fair to compare Dan to Bernie, the difference between ability as a commentator and burned out non comprehensible jibberish. Sad for Bernie was a good player with heart and skill... Sometimes people of that generation hide their injuries such as concussive syndromes in alcohol hope that is not the case with BK! If true he would not be the first to do so...
    Last edited by Randart; -08-25-2013 at 07:13 PM.
    MoonJoe and MauiRam like this.

clive is offline Registered User

I enjoyed it, the first half especially. Our first team beat their first team by 20:10 and they wern't even showing everything.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I've always liked Dan's commentary.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Game 3 still had some moments of concern with blocking up front on first team, but over all if the Rams played a more "complex" defenses, Manning would still be soaking in the tub...but I saw the stats Bradford's 9 of 16 for 110yds. verse Manning's 25 of 34 for 234yds. I guess this is the best example of Fisher's VINILLA offense--LOL!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I've never been a big Dierdorf fan, and he's said some pretty strange things (like once calling his broadcast partner of almost a decade "Bill" Gumbel), but compared to Kosar, he was a pleasure to listen to. I like the fact that he has a soft spot for the Rams as well. I guess I'm softening on Dan.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I'm not a huge fan of Dan in the booth but it was terrific that he was pointing out the basic defense the Rams were operating. That's the sort of situation where it's easy for an announcer to go the other way and point out failures of the defense and make broad proclamations that they aren't playing well. Dan took the classy route.
    MauiRam and laram0 like this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I've never been a big Dierdorf fan, and he's said some pretty strange things (like once calling his broadcast partner of almost a decade "Bill" Gumbel), but compared to Kosar, he was a pleasure to listen to. I like the fact that he has a soft spot for the Rams as well. I guess I'm softening on Dan.
    Bill Gumbel isn't so bad. He could have said a lot worse. I thought Dierdorf did a good job and would be happy to listen to him do a RAMS game anytime.
    MauiRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of Dan in the booth but it was terrific that he was pointing out the basic defense the Rams were operating. That's the sort of situation where it's easy for an announcer to go the other way and point out failures of the defense and make broad proclamations that they aren't playing well. Dan took the classy route.
    And the fact that most of their ones on offense were still playing against our twos on defense.