general counsel is offline Registered User

anyone else surprised butler wasnt cut

i was very surprised that butler wasnt cut on june 1. anyone else have a different view.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Re: anyone else surprised butler wasnt cut

Why cut him?

He was our best corner in '04, and I was glad when they gave him a contract extension.

Why would we not want him as depth?

Because he was inactive basically all last year after refusing to play special teams. I didnt say i wouldnt want him for depth, my point was that given how out of favor he is with the coaches, it shocks me that they didnt cut him and save the cap space at least for next year. Keep in mind that 2004 was a major surgery removed from last year.

I am all in favor of letting him rehabilitate himself, but not showing up for OTA's sure doesnt help his case.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan View Post
    Why would we not want him as depth?
    You usually don't want your #4 or #5 cornerback making $2 million in salary. Besides, between Brown, Hill, Bartell, Wade, and the two other corner signings (Walls and Rumph), we aren't in a position where we need his depth either.

I still think there's a strong chance he's cut before the regular season starts.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

i think that by keeping him post june 1 we take the full cap hit this year if we let him go and i am in favor of that since we apparantly have the cap space and there really isnt much to spend it on at this point. As long as we keep enough money to pay bulger and possibly a vet defensive end (which wont cost much).

ramming speed to all

general counsel

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Perhaps the Rams think they can still obtain a draft choice for him. I have no idea what he is worth, but I would guess he might be worth a 6 or a 7. Getting a 7th round pick is better than nothing. We have tried apparently to trade Butler prior to and during the draft with no takers, but who knows what we were asking for. I can't see any other reason for keeping him other than hoping for a trade as opposed to nothing at all ... Nick, what is your take on the viability of a trade. Are the Rams playing the odds until the last minute, holding on to him in the event a team loses a starter to injury during camp, and therefore creating a more urgent need? Butler was a starter prior to his injury ... but he hasn't played in a while. A training camp injury could cause a team to suddenly take an interest ...

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    i think that by keeping him post june 1 we take the full cap hit this year if we let him go
    Players that are cut (or designated as being cut) after June 1st have their accelerated cap hit spread over two years.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Nick, what is your take on the viability of a trade. Are the Rams playing the odds until the last minute, holding on to him in the event a team loses a starter to injury during camp, and therefore creating a more urgent need?
    Maybe, but you have to think that if any team viewed him as a potential starter in the event of injury, they would have made some kind of offer during the draft. We had no takers for Butler, per reports. The Rams may be holding out to see if a team gets desperate after an injury, and with the large increase in the cap level for this season, perhaps they're not inclined to make any move in haste. I have no idea what our cap status is right now, so it's hard to say whether or not they should feel like Butler's $2 million salary needs to be moved. We'd also need to figure out how much savings if any results from cutting/trading him. If the Rams are only saving a couple hundred thousand dollars, they may be inclined to keep the player versus freeing up a minimal amount of money.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The most recent CBA actually lets teams designate a certain number of players as June 1 releases even if they're let go in the spring. If we were going to release Butler, we could have done it whenever, and we still might do it yet. So I'm not too surprised he wasn't let go specifically on June 1, but I would be surprised if he makes the final roster.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

I think Butler is a little too good for just depth, I'm surprised he even signed an exstension here. Although I'd like to get 2milllion for doing nothing I guess.

I think no matter when we released him, if we do, the cap hit isn't going to be that big really, it wouldn't make or break anything the next year/2 years

DenisSerbia is offline Registered User

I am very glad that he wasn't cut! Very glad! He is better player than the most on his position on our depth!

sbramfan is offline Registered User

we apparantly have the cap space and there really isnt much to spend it on at this point
    I'm guessing this has a lot to do with it. If we cut him, we lose the depth and don't really have any use for the money this year, so he somewhat lucks out on that issue.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I am surprised he was not cut,just send his a** packing and get someone who wants to play for the Rams.

Quote Originally Posted by helorm341 View Post
    I'm surprised he even signed an exstension here.
    Well technically he signed the extension with Washington as a restricted free agent, and the Rams decided to match their contract and retain him. This was way back in the spring of 2004, too. At that time we had a job here as a starter, so he probably didn't mind the Rams matching.