Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Anyone know Cowher or Schottenheimers telephone number?

My question is who is going to fix the offense? Schottenheimer and Cowher both made their names on defense, as did several of the other candidates people have thrown out there like Haslett, Rivera, and Singletary. Regardless of who we bring in, I'd really like to see us sign an offensive coordinator who knows what he's doing. No offense to Olson, but I think he's in over his head.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I hate to burst bubbles, but this FO has a history of hiring 1 of two types of Head Coaches.......newbies (Martz, Linehan, Brooks, Robinson) and Re-treads (Vermeil, Knox).

This front office (ie. Shawgmunt) has NEVER, I repeat, NEVER hired a HC with recent successful head coaching experience. Why not?

I'm of course speculating here, but Shaw and Zygmunt do not strike me as men who are willing to hand over the kind of control a "high stock" head coach would require.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If:

1) Linehan is fired during the bye week;

2) Haslett is promoted; and

3) The team responds (i.e. wins a few games, or at least puts up a good fight) in the second half of the season.

I'd put the odds at about 80% that Haslett would be retained as HC.

How would I feel about that? Well, I've always said that I'm not a big Haslett fan, but at least he has had SOME success as a HC (though most Saints fans were happy to see him go).

I think Haslett, paired with a good OC, would be an improvement over the current staff. Not my first choice, but an improvement.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Friends, I would gladly take the "retreads" HUbison calls Vermeil and Knox! One won us a Super Bowl and the other kept us going to the playoffs consistently throughout the '70's.

My vote is for Schottenheimer. Cowher won't come to St. Louis. He's an East Coast guy who will likely wind up in NY w/the Giants or possibly Philly if Andy Reid moves to the FO.

Marty is conservative when he has to be. I didn't think of San Diego as very conservative last year or the year before. He knows how to put a staff together and he knows how to lead players toward victory. Our over-promoted HC and the one before him, Martz were good X & O guys, but we need a leader with an emotional pull like we had with Vermiel. At lest we know Marty would come to the midwest where he spent many years with KC. Maybe he could bring his son Brian who may be running out of favor her in NYC with the Jets as the OC.

Go Rams!

Friends, I would gladly take the "retreads" HUbison calls Vermeil and Knox! One won us a Super Bowl and the other kept us going to the playoffs consistently throughout the '70's.
    To be fair, they both are in fact retreads.....old coaches brought back to the organization. The one that brought us the Super Bowl did so after 2 failing seasons every bit as bad as our current HC. The other had his success in the 70's not the re-tread span in the early 90's. He won not as a re-tread, but as a......tread, as it were.

My point was not a shot at any of the recent coaches, but instead the inflexibility and (what certainly appears to be) serious insecurities of the men who are hiring these coaches.

I don't expect a turn-around until Shaw and Zygmunt move on. But even then who would Georgia replace them with? Dionne Warwick and Miss Cleo?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Hi HUbison,

I didn't mean to attack your point about Vermiel and Knox. I know that Knox had a less than spectacular return in the early '90's and Vermiel needed 2 years to get us to the promised land. However, he did get us there. His first year as I recall was similar to this year's disaster. This current situation is so frustrating because I feel we have real talent here, especially on offense where we are currently so awful. Injuries or not we need to make a coaching change and in my mind we need a solid track record to look at when we make the hire. So for that reason it appears that we will likely consider a re-tread, but I would rather have that certainty than the risk of finding a new coaching genius. I live in NY and for all the praise that Eric Mangini received last year with the Jets, he got "dumb" awful fast.

I agree with the point you make about the FO and they are truly at fault when they hire the wrong person. I'm so frustrated with our losing ways right now, I just want to end the agony, as I'm sure you and all the other fans on this site want. Let's gather some learning about our players now for next year and make some good draft picks and maybe even some good FA acquisitions. Our future is brighter than today!

Go Rams!

I hear you, my man. It's a stinky world, and we're all just tryin' to hold our nose. Know what I mean?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12