Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Anyone seriously thought about switching teams?

Alright, this is going to be a touchy subject obviously. Many or most of us aren't from the St. Louis area so we don't have that geographical connection to the team to keep us loyal. Even for those from the St. Louis area maybe the geographical factor is not as large as you'd think. The Rams have only been in town since '95 it's not like it's a long tradition that goes back generations in each family in the area with season tickets being inherited as it is in many other cities. It also looks increasingly likely that the team will soon move on to greener pastures, it has worn out its welcome years ago and at some point management is going to want a fresh start in a new market.

So how did we end up Rams fans then? Personally I really liked what I was seeing from Vermiel, Martz, Warner, Faulk, Bruce and so on. I joined the ranks of Rams fans partially based on us winning a lot of games, but also based on the way we were playing. Gung-ho offense a never-give-up attitude and unflinching belief that even if our D sucked and we were down 20 points we could still put up 3 fast TD's and steal the game. That's the way it was, it was exciting even when we lost. As long as we were playing exciting football, competing and leaving it all in the ring I was a happy fan even if we sometimes lost games we shouldn't.

But today that's different. It's not just about us being a losing team. We've been a bad team for a few years now and I think we can all handle that (otherwise we'd have jumped ship years ago when the GSOT faded). Where it gets more serious is when it comes to ownership and management. As I said I think we can all accept to have a team that sometimes loses more than it wins, we can accept bad players, they can be replaced, there's always next year's draft right? A bad coach can be replaced quickly, as we'll soon see. But at least to me it's much harder to accept that we have an owner who doesn't give a crap and a completely incompetent set of managers in charge of the organisation. Lawyers and accountants making football decisions, friends hiring friends, no accountability at the top.

Players and coaches come and go, but owners and management can stay for decades and decades, and if they're as bad as ours they can almost assure that we will be, on average, among the bottom teams in the league and continue to make mind-boggingly stupid decisions. Sure sometimes everything comes together as it did in '99, but I'm increasingly realising what a crazy fluke that was. Ownership and management are incompetent, there is no nice way to say it but it's true. Our brief taste of success for a few seasons between the debacle of the 90's and our current situation really was a case of the blind chicken stumbling upon a corn by pure accident.

Contrast that with other succesful teams where ownership and management are working together with a strong coach and ensures success year after year, of course there are down years too, for every organisation. But there are clearly at least a handful of teams, if not more, in the league where you as a fan are not in any doubt about the commitment to winning and the competency to get it done.

So as a Rams fan what should I do? Sit around and wait for 20 or 30 years for new ownership, watch us make one stupid decision after another, constantly hoping the stars will align and we'll see a brief flash of success by pure chance? Or change my allegiance to a properly led team with competent management and ownership truly committed to excellence? The former is the 'default' choice for a diehard fan, the latter is the 'default' choice for the bandwagon fan and there is no middle ground. It's hard to say which choice would be more enjoyable too, unless you're a true bandwagon fan (and I as many other hardcore fans don't understand that sentiment well) where is the fun in 'your' team winning if you switch every week? On the other hand where is the fun in your team losing every week with no real hope for lasting improvement and the only consolation a few lucky moments every now and then?

I could be a fan of any team, some days I think to myself "Why is it the Rams and does it have to be?". Has anyone else here seriously considered starting over as a football fan and switching to another team? And if not, have you considered the reasons you are a Rams fan and if they still hold up?

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Anyone seriously thought about switching teams?

Simple answer...NEVER
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Interesting post, RamOfDenmark.

Like you, I don't hail from St Louis (or even from the USA, for that matter) so I don't have any particular allegiance with the city or anything like that. Still, I've supported the Rams since 1985, when they were based in LA, and haven't once considered changing, even throughout the doldrums of the 1990s.

I suppose that my staunch support is partly down to the way that people support football (or soccer, for our American brethren!) teams in the UK, where I was born and grew up. Once you start to support a team, tradition dictates that you never desert it. You can change your home, your wife, your job, even your religion.... but your team stays the same.

Such loyalty may seem misguided but it's something which is far more admirable than the fickle attitude which pervades the world in which we live. "I want it all and I want it now" encapsulates the zeitgeist of the short-term consumer society in which we currently live and many younger people know nothing else; indeed, it would be interesting to see how many older fans have thought about jumping ship in comparison to younger ones- that's not to tar all youngsters with the same brush, incidentally!

In answer to your question I'd never leave the Rams, even if it took another 20 or 30 years for us to get competitive again. A true fan stays loyal through thick and thin...

BM_Face is offline Registered User

I have been a Rams fan for 25+ years. I have suffered through many seasons of sad losses. I love the Rams and nothing can change that. I'm not going anywhere.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm... an increasingly melancholy Danish fan questioning whether he wishes to be, or not to be, a Rams fan.

How Shakespearian.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Hmmm... an increasingly melancholy Danish fan questioning whether he wishes to be, or not to be, a Rams fan.

How Shakespearian.
    That really is the question.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Never.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Nah, I've been a fan since '83 even though I grew up in N.Y. Giants country and now live in Philly where it's wrong not to wear green. Over those years, I've seen many, many bad Rams team, but I've never switched- I just dedicated more of my time to rooting against the teams that I hate. If I can't take solace in the Rams winning- then hopefully I can take solace in somebody else losing.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Been a fan since '95, gonna be a fan till the day i die.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

2 words....

NO WAY!

FilthyMcNasty is offline Registered User

If you switch allegiance, even if the new team does well, are you really going to enjoy that success as if it's your own?

rampower is offline Registered User

I in reality could never follow another team, the rams are in my head, my subconscious.

Of recent and when things have gone badly wrong, I have questioned why I am a fan at all. Why I pay money to keep some guys rich who just 'play' a 'game' that I play for free and pay to watch, because I enjoy it.

I would never change from the rams though. 22 years and more importantly, a lot of rams fan friends now, who I wouldn't be without. This last bash was just plain awesome.
    I will wait an entire year for the next, thinking about it every day. I meet These good friends there every year. I met Mauiram in hawaii last year. I will meet Majorram in London later this year.

I dont know where the rule is written that you never change team, or who wrote it, as some people do. Some fans dont do that, they just choose to follow when the teams are winning. Just ask a sports shop owner, which kit is selling this year, its usually the winners.

Most of the people in here will not be those guys though;

having won 11 games out of the last 34, the bandwagon is of its rails and we, the tortured remain.

To say I have never questioned my loyalty would be a lie.

To say I have never fallen out with owners/players/coaches would be a lie.

To say that I had never thought, in the heat of the moment during/after a big loss. "Why did I choose the Rams? Why?" would be a lie.

But I did choose the Rams.

And till death do us part.
    Last edited by rampower; -09-17-2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling hell
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

itsguud is offline Registered User

Its like I was thinking it and this guy all the way (not that far as I'm currently in Germany) up there in Denmark wrote it.

Great post... I wish it was that easy. I threatened to leave with Bruce, but I couldn't and can't... damnit rams just do something in the right direction. Or bills move to Canada and then i will have a valid reason to switch teams.

FilthyMcNasty is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampower View Post
    I meet These good friends there every year. I met Mauiram in hawaii last year. I will meet Majorram in London later this year.
    You'll meet me and the missus in London too if you're lucky. Heh.

SotaRam is offline Registered User

I've been with the Rams since they days of Roman Gabriel Lance Rentzel(I only liked him 'cause he was married to Joey Heatherton-schwing!) Ken Iman, Deacon, Merlin, Jack Snow and the rest.

I'm not going anywhere!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast