Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Anyone still have a problem with the avery pick?

This board has gotten increasingly filled with people who see with perfect 20-20 hindsight.

There were a TON of people that blasted away at the Avery pick. Does anyone still have a problem with the pick? Anyone out there that would rather have any wide receiver from the draft rather than Avery?

We needed a deep threat. Avery was the fastest guy. Bigger than Jackson, less off the field issues. Problem with his hands? I sure havent seen that.

Why is it that when we make a pick that doesnt work out, everyone wants to blast away at our incompetence, but when we make a pick that looks good, no one wants to give any credit.

Where are the people that wanted Dorsey over Long. If we had it to do over again, would anyone pass on Chris Long?

Criticism of the Rams drafting is certainly fair and heaven knows i have been a critic as well. However, i also think we need to give credit where credit is due and I supported the Avery pick at the time and i sure love it now.

I am asking whether anyone else out there who hated the pick wants to step up and tell us that they still have a problem with the pick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Anyone still have a problem with the avery pick?

Good Post, GC! I agree with you, I think the Avery pick looked fine back in April and looks even better now. Many critics get caught up in the value propostion end of the draft and feel that if you take a player, regardless of skill level at the wrong time you have made a huge blunder. Well there is some merit to that, but we needed a top-flight receiver and we took DA when we saw he would be there for us.

As much as I miss Isaac Bruce and hate to see him in "Whiner red", particularly since I've moved to the Bay Area, I feel we have a long-term replacement on board now. Plus, when we mix Keenan Burton into the rotation (stay healthy) we'll have the receiving tandem that was among the league's best during the GSOT years with Holt & Bruce. Drew Bennet was at best a short-term fix that will hopefully still help us when we need a tall receiver like in the Red-Zone.

Man, I cannot wait till we have all our receiving corps in place including McMichael next year. We'll shore up the OL in the off-season and be the odds-on favorite for the division and more in 2009!

Go Rams!

supachump is online now Registered User

I was wondering the same thing after the Washington game.

I kept my mouth shut at the time because I didn't know enough about the receivers in the draft. However, from my naive POV (at the time), looked like a decent enough pick.

Funny how the naysayers shut up when the guy actually performs well. I'm excited for this guy and what he brings to the team. I hope he can stay healthy. As Marc gets more comfortable with him, it will only get better.
    Last edited by supachump; -10-27-2008 at 02:23 PM.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Great thread gc,

I can remember after the Philly game all the talk about why didn't we take DeSean Jackson. Jackson this and Jackson that. Avery was injured and we hadn't seen him play yet. That fact didn't seem to matter. Jackson was the man and Avery was a bum.

Boy am I glad we have Avery. Yes, I would take Avery over Jackson.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Good Post, GC! I agree with you, I think the Avery pick looked fine back in April and looks even better now. Many critics get caught up in the value propostion end of the draft and feel that if you take a player, regardless of skill level at the wrong time you have made a huge blunder. Well there is some merit to that, but we needed a top-flight receiver and we took DA when we saw he would be there for us.

As much as I miss Isaac Bruce and hate to see him in "Whiner red", particularly since I've moved to the Bay Area, I feel we have a long-term replacement on board now. Plus, when we mix Keenan Burton into the rotation (stay healthy) we'll have the receiving tandem that was among the league's best during the GSOT years with Holt & Bruce. Drew Bennet was at best a short-term fix that will hopefully still help us when we need a tall receiver like in the Red-Zone.

Man, I cannot wait till we have all our receiving corps in place including McMichael next year. We'll shore up the OL in the off-season and be the odds-on favorite for the division and more in 2009!

Go Rams!

Just shows you that the critics are just that, critics. Being a critic does not make you smart, it just means you have an opinion ...

And of course they are not going to admit they were wrong ....

Here's Donnie Avery, this "raw speedster" from Houston, which isn't really known for its dominant football team ...

Nobody watched tape on this guy, I guarantee it. All the tape I saw pointed towards him being a smart gamebreaking type of player ...

All I heard was how he couldn't run routes and had only one speed. What a joke that is after seeing him make two awesome catches on the 999, and making some crazy moves to run right by people ...

Avery is the total package, and he is only going to get better. He is already a mature 24, and is quickly establishing himself as the #1 receiver in the draft. He didn't play in the first two games, so his numbers would likely be #1 if he had. Chalk this excellent pick up to Devaney ...

Avery is just an awesome player ...

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I loved the C. Long pick and almost had fire coming out of my ears when people suggested Dorsey or, even worse in my book, Gholston.

However, I was skeptical of the Avery pick. My skepticism was 2-fold.
    #1 There's a good chance that we could have grabbed him in the 3rd round. There were 0 WRs taken at that point, and if I recall he was rated between #8-10 on the WR list of most public draft boards (Scouts, ESPN, etc.). Now as it turns out there were a ton of WRs taken in round 2 so he may not have been there in round 3, but that's of course the hindsight bias we're trying to avoid here.

#2 Even if we couldn't have gotten him in round 3, there were tons of other needs we could have drafted. We were in a position to almost take the BPA from a variety of positions - all along the OL, WR, LB, SS, CB, etc. - so I wasn't a fan of "reaching" for somebody when we had so many other options available.

All in all, it looks like Avery is going to be a pretty good player for us, and we might not have been able to get him in round 3. I stick by my thought process, but in this case I was wrong about the pick.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    I loved the C. Long pick and almost had fire coming out of my ears when people suggested Dorsey or, even worse in my book, Gholston.

#1 There's a good chance that we could have grabbed him in the 3rd round. There were 0 WRs taken at that point, and if I recall he was rated between #8-10 on the WR list of most public draft boards (Scouts, ESPN, etc.). Now as it turns out there were a ton of WRs taken in round 2 so he may not have been there in round 3, but that's of course the hindsight bias we're trying to avoid here.

#2 Even if we couldn't have gotten him in round 3, there were tons of other needs we could have drafted. We were in a position to almost take the BPA from a variety of positions - all along the OL, WR, LB, SS, CB, etc. - so I wasn't a fan of "reaching" for somebody when we had so many other options available.

All in all, it looks like Avery is going to be a pretty good player for us, and we might not have been able to get him in round 3. I stick by my thought process, but in this case I was wrong about the pick.
    The only reason he was #8-#10 on draft boards was because he played at Houston and nobody saw any tape on him. He plays at a big school, he is #1 or #2, look at his numbers ....

Yes,

Call me an old foggie but I much and by far and away prefer "Branston Pickle" to "Avery Pickle" ............... wait, I think I misunderstood the question .... nuts

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I'm with Nick Weasel on this, with the exception that I didn't have a problem with Avery as the pick, I really didin't care for the pick of a WR at that point.

I thought we had bigger needs. But for taking a WR, I had no problems with taking the guy they thought was best for thier system regardless of Mel Kipers opinion. I liked the kid. I just thought Stanley would have stepped up, so picking WR was my issue.

On the issue of the rookies, I am thoroughly satisfied with Avery and Burton, and always wanted Long, never wanted Dorsey. Additionally, I am anxious to see what King can do.

I am pleasantly surprised at how this has worked out. Seems a WR was needed quite bad. What has happened to Holt?
    Semper Fi!

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    What has happened to Holt?
    Who? Oh, that guy, he went to the Iowa Invisible Men.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    Yes,

Call me an old foggie but I much and by far and away prefer "Branston Pickle" to "Avery Pickle" ............... wait, I think I misunderstood the question .... nuts
    Mmmm... Branston pickle & a good chunk of cheddar on a fresh roll....never tried it with nuts,though.

Rugby-the real man's game- and a good ploughman's lunch are the things that I miss most about living in the UK as I did as a young man.

Avery is what was advertised; athletically gifted & raw. I'm hoping his development will accelerate under Ellard's & Saunders' tutelage now that he has some game experience & developed a bit of rapport with MB.

As a Cal alumnus, I saw a lot of DeSean in college. he is electric when healthy & well-coached to prepare him for the complexities of NFL style offense but the analysis that, in the long run, he is too small & vulnerable to injury were spot-on.

Arguments about whether the team's needs would have been better served by filling another hole in our Swiss cheese ( also excellent with Branston pickle,btw) of a team are like the flight of the Hooley-Hooley bird which flies in ever-decreasing circles till it finally soars up its own a##hole. Entertaining but ultimately futile.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I loved the Avery pick from the get go even though I didn't really picture him there with our second round pick I still liked the guy. He has been a beast he or DeSean Jackson have been the 2 best rookie WR's Eddie Royal needs some love also.

I'm finally justified for being a Dorsey hater. I wanted Jake Long and he is doing really well right now, but that wasn't option. Honestly we could use him at this point. Chris Long is a beast he will be a career double digit sack guy maybe even starting this year. He is coming along faster than Mario Williams and thats scary.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

I admit I was concerned with the Long pick. He just seemed like too safe of a pick, and this team drafted too safe in the past (which produced not that great NFL players). I have no complaints now, what I've seen from Dorsey is right now he is a complete dud. His footwork looks awful, and he gets thrown or knocked to the ground WAY too often. Chris Long is looking great and I'm sorry for doubting him.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post

I loved the Long pick as well. He had great size, great technique, a great work ethic, very good athletism and was also a very solid person. The Avery pick I was skeptical on because I didn't know much about him but he has looked fantastic and there is no way I would of wanted us to choose anyone else now. It's not our fault we we were skeptical. The Rams front office has made some very bad draft picks in the last 4 or 5 years. At the time it looked like we were reaching but the front office knew what they wanted and they made the pick anyways. That's what good front offices do. Hopefully our new front office can continue to make good draft picks.

general counsel is offline Registered User

We certainly had many needs at that point, but it was clear that we had no ability of any kind to stretch the field last year. We were also so old at wide receiver that it was beyond scary. THus, i think the wide receiver was as big a need as anything else at that point of the draft, although that is a point on which reasonable people can certainly differ.

I like to remind people that the "ranked 8 or 10" by kipper, maycock, ___ scouting service is irrelevant. What counts is where the nfl personnel directors rank these guys since they are the ones doing the selecting and alas, you dont get to see anyone else's draft board, even after the fact.

No one misses Ike more than me, but having Avery, and even burton, reduces the pain just a bit. When bennett comes back, i think he has to be #3. I see no way to put him in the lineup ahead of avery.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast