Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Anyone want to criticize spags?

Great point on the leonard little comment. The guy was in bounds when little hit him and Little only pushed him. Jackson had been tackled when he was clearly out of bounds earlier in the game.

63% is still good enough for me, although i bet that his percentage from 52 is closer to 80% especially in those weather conditions (perfect). I guess his percentages in a dome is higher. I would also bet that his percentage from that distance recently is better than 63% (look up his numbers from the last couple of years). I also pointed out that weather counts. Finally, i want to know his percentage at just 52 yards, over 50 is misleading as it includes kicks of distances much longer than 52.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I disagree. You are on the road in possibly the most disruptive place for offensive cohesion & your O has just shot itself in the foot several times on a promising drive.

You take the points if you can get them. If it weren't for a lucky bounce and a miraculous bit of volleyball on the punt coverage, the difference in field position was 15 yds.

And , as you say, it was a tight game to that point. A field goal would have changed the flavor of that drive immensely. A miss would have been easier to swallow than nothing ventured,imo.
    Well, I disagree with the bolded statement. I think a miss there would have sparked the Seahawks and given them momentum. You'll notice after Brown's miss from 37 yards, the Seahawks orchestrated a touchdown drive.

Not saying Brown's miss is the only reason, but missed field goal attempts tend to shift momentum in a big way. Punting the ball and pinning the opposition close to their goalline retains momentum for your team. A 52-yarder is not an easy thing to make, especially on the road in rough conditions.

And again, I think this is a team that's going to play things a bit conservatively in these situations and play the field position game.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    63% is still good enough for me, although i bet that his percentage from 52 is closer to 80% especially in those weather conditions (perfect). I guess his percentages in a dome is higher. I would also bet that his percentage from that distance recently is better than 63% (look up his numbers from the last couple of years). I also pointed out that weather counts. Finally, i want to know his percentage at just 52 yards, over 50 is misleading as it includes kicks of distances much longer than 52.
    If you can find numbers that specific, please share them with us.

According to ESPN's splits, Brown did not attempt a 52-yard kick outdoors last season. In 2007, he was 1/2 when kicking a 50+ yarder when outdoors, and the one he made was 52 yards. In 2006, he was again 1/2 when kicking 50+ yards when outdoors, the one he converted was 50 yards.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Like the Post said, Spags had trouble getting personnel on and off the field, and sometimes the play calling was awfully slow causing Bulget to have to burn two timeouts early in the first quarter.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Unorthodox1999 View Post
    I won't make excuses for Spags, but i'll hold off on the criticizing at least for now...
    Fair enough. I agree!

jkramsfan Guest

if we are going to play the field position game then when Donnie Jones punts and pins the other team deep,the defense holds and when the offense gets the ball back with good field position they need to do something with it or else you just waste a great effort by Jones,I thought he had one of his best games yesterday,he was freakin awesome and we did nothing with it.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

i think we were really conservative on both sides of the ball (not that has anything to do with spags). Shurmur was way to Vanilla, and none of Flajole's blitzes worked, they are definately showing off there deficiencies as rookie play callers. Hopefully we can iron those things out. Flajole comes from Carolina and they are as conservative as they come, we really need to get more agressive IMO.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I thought we'd kick the field goal from there, but I could see the logic in punting. If you can pin them inside the five, a lot of times they're going to playing it so cautiously to avoid a safety or pick that they just wind up kicking back to you anyway.

maxxdigger Guest

I think the rams made a huge mistake letting go of Tye Hill just for one reason he was one of our fastest guys, Dont know how elusive he is but the rams should have tried him out at kick returner. Hey it worked for Hester

once again the rams have become a joke with kick and punt returners maybe someday we can find someone that can return something

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Yes- Ill cut him some slack being a rookie and all, but what took place Sunday was a joke. I only listened to the game so I may be wrong, but what transpired seemed to be the total opposite of what the coach stands for.
    Very worried- shocked even.
    I honestly thought the players respected the new coach-
    Now I dont know what to think

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Ground dog, are you saying that the players didn't respect Spags during the game? I didn't see it, but everything I've heard from the game was that they were still playing hard, and Cogs specifically didn't want to upset Spags. The problem was just that we weren't executing, not that the players weren't buying in. The coaches are rookies at this too, so I'll be giving them slack as they start to adjust to their new roles in life. They deserve that much for the time being at least.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not a train! We will get better, because we can't get much worse than we were last year!

bradwill is offline Registered User

It was one game, and now there is a very clear evidence of where the Rams stand at this moment. How Spags deals with it is what being a HC is all about.

Rams didn't look as undisciplined or with a bad case of the nerves in pre-season and it was a big mantra of Spags to cut down on penalties and be on the + side with turnovers. Now, the Rams went out and laid an egg for the most part, and what Spags does next to make adjustments is the key. Same goes with Shurmur and the offense, which looked 100% identical to the Linehan/Olsen days of pure vanilla "safety first" playcalling. I thought whatever offensive gameplan the Rams had going into the game was awful IMHO. Seahawks put 8 in the box and cover the sidelines and the Rams run tiny slants right into the stacked box, try a quick out, or even run against it. That's not going to work.

YOu do have a lot of youth out on the football field and it won't be pretty for a while. Loads of adjustments.

Im not talking about direct disrespect, the in your face type.
    What I meant was the lack of focus, leading to penalties all
    over the place- Spags himself admitted that was his fault after the
    game. Hes the captain of this ship, and it reflects on him.
    I believe thier was plenty of effort, but the player's and coaches
    through inexperience,let the occasion overwhelm them.
    Which is understandable- Q-west field opening day, all being new,
    was a bridge to far.
    How we respond is whats important-

Tye Hill was a decent Kick/punt returner in colledge if my memory
    serves me right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12