Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anyone want to question Bulger's importance to this team?

Remind me, what does Warner have to do with this thread? This thread is supposed to be about Bulger's importance to this team. Isn't Warner on the Giants this year, or did I imagine that?

atcchris is offline Registered User

Remind me, what does Warner have to do with this thread? This thread is supposed to be about Bulger's importance to this team. Isn't Warner on the Giants this year, or did I imagine that?
    Seems to me Warner has to do with the way the discussion went. You can keep trying to avoid the elephant in the room... try to erase "he-who-shall-not-be-named" from Ram lore, but he's always going to be there.

In the hearts and minds of appreciative Rams fans who despise Martz for refusing to give Warner a fair shake, talking about how "important" Bulger is to this team begs the question... given his exposure against Carolina last year, and his rough play this year, would we have fared any better in the playoffs with him the whole year? Yeah..we probably would have made the playoffs.. but would we really have been that much different of a team? Bulger wasn't hurt against the Dolphins, was he? Or against Atlanta, New Orleans, New England, Buffalo or Green Bay. His best game had him throw for 400+ yards vs Green Bay.. and produce 17 points. Why? How could we just produce 98 yards in the 2nd half against Buffalo? They're that dominating? 3 Picks by Bulger.. not pretty. The Rams lose.. AT HOME to a team with a WR playing secondary. Talk about INJURIES! Not only do they LOSE to New England, but they are BLOWN OUT. New Orleans is bad, and I guess Atlanta has shown something.. but isn't a good QB on a good team supposed to COMPETE against a team like Atlanta? It's not like we're the Plowboys.

So. It's nice that Bulger is so important to us. He led us to a 6-6 record before being injured. Wow.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by atcchris
    Bulger wasn't hurt against the Dolphins, was he? Or against Atlanta, New Orleans, New England, Buffalo or Green Bay. His best game had him throw for 400+ yards vs Green Bay.. and produce 17 points. Why? How could we just produce 98 yards in the 2nd half against Buffalo? They're that dominating? 3 Picks by Bulger.. not pretty. The Rams lose.. AT HOME to a team with a WR playing secondary. Talk about INJURIES! Not only do they LOSE to New England, but they are BLOWN OUT. New Orleans is bad, and I guess Atlanta has shown something.. but isn't a good QB on a good team supposed to COMPETE against a team like Atlanta? It's not like we're the Plowboys.

So. It's nice that Bulger is so important to us. He led us to a 6-6 record before being injured. Wow.

Have you seen our O-Line???????????????????? You cant blame Bulger for our O-Line. Tell me what Chandler and Martin did behind that O-Line? It was pathetic. Bulger has NO kick or punt return game getting him some decent field position, Faulk has lost 2 steps and is nowhere near what he was when KWarner was starting. Jackson looks good but hasnt played enough and isnt a pro bowler (like Faulk was) yet. Our TE is non-existant. We create NO turnovers. We are always behind so we have to throw more and defenses lick their chops to blitz through our swiss cheese O-Line and Bulger has still played well. After all these facts how can you criticize Bulger? :ramlogo:

txramsfan is offline Registered User

When Bulger went down it hurt the effectiveness of Martz's passing game.

With the passing game being the crux of the offense, Bugler going down was the dagger in the season.

atc, when you go to a restaurant, to you say: "I'll have the Kurt Warner, with a side of Kurt Warner, light on the Kurt Warner sauce, and a bottle of your finest Kurt Warner"?

atc, when you go to a restaurant, to you say: "I'll have the Kurt Warner, with a side of Kurt Warner, light on the Kurt Warner sauce, and a bottle of your finest Kurt Warner"?
    Nah... but I have a similar question. When you're at a restaurant, do you ask for the sphincter del toro, or do you just ask for the lawyer special?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ATC
    his rough play this year
    You're joking right? Did I read this wrong? He's 4th in the NFC in passer rating, while standing behind one of the worst O-lines in football. There are 12 teams in the conference who would fare better with his "rough play".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

The sad thing is, he's not joking.

You're joking right? Did I read this wrong? He's 4th in the NFC in passer rating, while standing behind one of the worst O-lines in football. There are 12 teams in the conference who would fare better with his "rough play".
    LOL

Sad thing is this... we should be talking championships, and that includes the AFC as well.. Bulger's 10th in the NFL in QB rating. Funny thing is.. Warner's 12th... with THE worst O-line in the NFL.

Bulger's also 6th in the NFC in Picks per Game... 1 per game. The worst is Testaverde, with 1.35 per game. Warner, for comparsion... .4 per game.

Maybe int per attempt is fairer..

I'm showing:

Testaverde .044/attempt
    Vick .038/attempt
    Ramsey .036/attempt
    Favre .033/attempt
    Griese .033/attempt
    Delhomme .032/attempt
    Hasselbeck .031/attempt
    Rattay .030/attempt
    Bulger .028/attempt
    Brooks .028/attempt
    Culpepper .026/attempt
    Harrington .024/attempt
    McCown .020/attempt
    McNabb .017/attempt
    Warner .014/attempt

Middle of the pack for Bulger. YES. The NFC STINKS this year. Bulger is a good NFL QB. He's not great. I don't care if he IS the 4th best NFC QB, and that "12 other teams would do better with him". Bull.

We're 6-6 with him. Not good.

I don't care if he IS the 4th best NFC QB, and that "12 other teams would do better with him". Bull.
    Don't let facts get in the way.
    Funny thing is.. Warner's 12th... with THE worst O-line in the NFL.
    What does Warner's performance have to do with Bulger? Yea, Warner is having a good year, and yes the Giants tossed their season when they went with Manning. But again, how does that reflect the "rough play" of Bulger, especially since Bulger is playing better than Warner, statistically. And as far as O-lines go, I'd say ours is just as bad.
    Sad thing is this... we should be talking championships
    Maybe int per attempt is fairer..
    Bulger .028/attempt Warner .014/attempt
    You're right, this is proof positive that the Rams were entitled to win the past 5 Super Bowls.

Bulger has played very well this season, not anything resembling, IMO, "rough play". In fact, as much as I love Warner, Bulger has played better this year.

Sidenote: Why do we think that it was our birth-right to win every Super Bowl since '99? The most talented teams do not always win. The best coached teams don't always win. That's why games are played.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

LOL.. I'm not going to bother to cut your posts and paste them.. that edit job you did of mine was a doozy I'd rather not follow.. LOL..

I'll just answer as they go..

The facts are these: The fact that he's got the 4th best QB rating in the NFC doesn't mean that 12 teams in the NFC would do better with him. The packers with Favre, and the GIants, when they used Warner, are 2 which, statistically, prove you wrong. You might even be able to add a team like Detroit, with Harrington. Again.. Bulger = good Bulger <> great. When a QB is good, he can look rough, at times. No shame in that. Facts are facts.

When I said Warner was 12th.. that in the NFC. Bulger is 10th by that standard. Not that much difference, but you say the Rams O-line is worse than the Giants. Opinion. Most NFL types were not of your opinion when Warner went to the Rams, and most still are not of your opinion. The Giants probably have the worst O-line in all of football.

What I DID show is that the QB that was run out of town by a madman of a coach, and who proved he could run the GSOT still has at least comparable level of talent as Bulger. If Martz runs the team properly, we don't have a personnel problem at QB. But, he didn't, so we do.

You like our chances with Bulger? Great. I would say he's probably comparable to a Jim Everett or maybe even Ferragamo. So.. there's a chance.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Why do we consider it our birth-right? Because we had an offense that the rest of the NFL feared and it was imploded because of lack of leadership at the top.

The packers with Favre, and the GIants, when they used Warner, are 2 which, statistically, prove you wrong.
    And how do they prove me wrong? Bulger has outperformed, statistically, both of them.
    When I said Warner was 12th.. that in the NFC. Bulger is 10th by that standard. Not that much difference, but you say the Rams O-line is worse than the Giants. Opinion. Most NFL types were not of your opinion when Warner went to the Rams, and most still are not of your opinion. The Giants probably have the worst O-line in all of football.
    Well see, that's the thing about O-lines, isn't it? You don't have any good statistics that tells the whole picture of how well an O-line is performing. Therefore, there is no real good means of saying which one is better. So all any of us have is our opinions when it comes to O-lines. I happen to think that our line is
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    And as far as O-lines go, I'd say ours is just as bad.
    That was my opinion. They are just as bad, and I don't know who these "NFL types" are, but I've never heard any commentator say that the Giants have the WORST line in the NFL.
    What I DID show is that the QB that was run out of town by a madman of a coach, and who proved he could run the GSOT still has at least comparable level of talent as Bulger.
    Comparable, yes. A step behind Bulger and his "rough play" this year, yes.
    Why do we consider it our birth-right? Because we had an offense that the rest of the NFL feared and it was imploded because of lack of leadership at the top.
    Guess I'm a little slow on the uptake...how does a feared offense give us entitlement to the Lombardi award for half a decade?

And how do they prove me wrong? Bulger has outperformed, statistically, both of them.

Not by my numbers. In Green Bay's case, they're going to the playoffs as a legitimate team. In the Giants case, Warner has fewer picks per game and fewer picks per attempt. In addition to a QB rating that is nearly the same as Bulgers, behind the O-line which we're debating.

Guess I'm a little slow on the uptake...how does a feared offense give us entitlement to the Lombardi award for half a decade?
    Well.. I could spell it out, but whenever the convergence of superlatives running, throwing, and catching exists, there have been dynastys.

Quote Originally Posted by atcchris

Well.. I could spell it out, but whenever the convergence of superlatives running, throwing, and catching exists, there have been dynastys.
    You forgot about Defense. There has never been a dynasty that didn't have a top-tier defense.

And? Last year we led the league in takeaways. We scored 5 times on defense.

What's yer point?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast