Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

AP: Rams have several options with No. 2 overall pick in the draft

Rams have several options with No. 2 overall pick in the draft
    Associated Press
    Posted about 4 hours ago

ST. LOUIS -- Last April, Billy Devaney had more podium time on Day 2 of the draft for the St. Louis Rams. This year, he carries veto power.

The change at the top sparks hope for a franchise that will again be in the spotlight on draft day, picking second for the second straight year. A total of five wins the last two seasons prompted a full-scale overhaul that leaves the Rams with a new coach, a roster minus two stars from its past glories and a front office that'll lean heaviest on those with football backgrounds.

In charge will be a general manager with 24 years of hands-on experience. Devaney, a former protege of Bobby Beathard, was personnel director last year in his first season with St. Louis.

Since taking over near the end of last year's 2-14 disaster, he's already made some hard choices.

Longtime stars Orlando Pace and Torry Holt were released to clear cap space for young talent. Safety Oshiomogho Atogwe got the franchise player tag and cornerback Ron Bartell was re-signed after shopping the free agent market.

The first of three minicamps was held earlier this month, giving Devaney and new coach Steve Spagnuolo a better feel for their needs.

"That was one of the reasons Billy and I decided to have a camp before the draft," Spagnuolo said. "I think that will be huge."

Next weekend comes the biggest day yet.

"There's more to do, a lot more," Devaney said in a telephone interview during a break in draft preparations. "But this is awesome, it's the time you love."

The Rams follow the Detroit Lions to the podium on Saturday, so the choices are endless.

Most pre-draft speculation has centered on the offensive line, a weakness in recent years and weakened further by the recent release of seven-time Pro Bowler Orlando Pace. Tackles Jason Smith of Baylor and Eugene Monroe of Virginia could fill the void.

Then again, this is a franchise that needs help almost everywhere. The exception: defensive line, where they invested last year's No. 2 on Chris Long and their 2007 first-rounder on Adam Carriker.

Devaney will only say the Rams will take the best player on their board. If they decide a skill player is the best bet, he vowed cost will not scare them.

"No matter who you pick, it's going to be ridiculously expensive," Devaney said. "I don't know how every other place operates, but I know that's how it works here.

"In free agency, in hiring a coach, in the draft, it's doing what's best for the organization."

Thus far, trading down doesn't seem to be an option. Not with a draft pegged as one with several interchangeable options at or near the top of the heap.

"No interest," Devaney said. "It's early yet, but that hasn't happened."

Scouts and the personnel department will have a lot more voice in who gets picked this time around. They'll set up the board, with input from the coaching staff.

"I don't want to discount the coaches, because they've done a great job in evaluating positions," Devaney said. "Spags is all for this setup.

"He's said, 'Hey, you guys do this all year long. We'll have our say and you'll use that information as you see fit."'

The final board might have no more than 120 names. Devaney thinks that'll be plenty for both days given widely differing philosophies franchises take into the draft.

"Everybody grades players differently," he said. "We'll have enough. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Linehan had the final say on picks last year, although Devaney said everything went very smoothly with no major differences of opinion.

"Scott and I kind of worked it together," Devaney said. "Honest to God, we were in total agreement."

This year, Devaney promises to be a team player. But he'll be the boss.

"Oh sure," he said. "Somebody has to be the tiebreaker."

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: AP: Rams have several options with No. 2 overall pick in the draft

Devaney will only say the Rams will take the best player on their board.
    If Curry is not the best player on their board then I will wonder how their grading system works.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    I will wonder how their grading system works.
    I always wondered that too when we picked crouch.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    Yeah, that was definately a head scratcher, yet not entirely shocking with Martz involved.

But, you know, the crouch pick is not really the same thing as what is about to take place.

This is the #2 overall pick under an entirely different group.

I am slowly finding out that not everything Devaney says to the media is to be believed.

We'll soon find out about this latest Devaney quote.

Curry is the consensus pick as the best player available in this years draft. Many experts claim he is as close to a sure thing as you will ever find.

If he is not #1 on the Rams board......?

RealRam is offline Registered User

More and more this is looking like a straight forward selection: Curry or Monroe.

And that perhaps as a toss up.

blood85 Guest

Go offensive line, or we won't score ANY points. I still think we can get some talent in the latter rounds......I mean, don't we have Scouts for that sort of thing??

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

curry the safer pick?
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Curry is the consensus pick as the best player available in this years draft. Many experts claim he is as close to a sure thing as you will ever find.

If he is not #1 on the Rams board......?

I understand you like Curry, but there are definitely people out there who don't have Curry as the best player on the board.

For instance, Mike Mayock recently updated his rankings and Curry is 7th overall, behind both of the top two tackles. Pro Football Weekly's big board has Curry 4th behind Stafford, J. Smith, and Eugene Monroe. The Sporting News currently has Curry 8th, with two DE/OLB tweeners ahead of him.

It's quite possible that some NFL teams don't have Curry among the top two players on their boards either. I don't think that necessarily means their evaluation method is faulty. Like any prospect, opinions on him vary. Frankly, I'd be quite surprised if there actually was a consensus BPA in this draft.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Scouts and the personnel department will have a lot more voice in who gets picked this time around. They'll set up the board, with input from the coaching staff.

"I don't want to discount the coaches, because they've done a great job in evaluating positions," Devaney said. "Spags is all for this setup.
    I don't know about you guys, but this is pretty encouraging to me. God love Martz, but it's fair to say he put too much emphasis on some of his pet projects. And God love Zygmunt (only because God has to love everyone, that's in the Bible somewhere), but there are plenty of reports intimating that Zyrro the Gay Blade had more voice than an accountant should have, and based it on how well he liked a player's agent.

I like this idea. The scouts look at these prospects year round. Give them more voice. Sounds good to me.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Wow, if Curry is the best player on the board what does that say about this draft class?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I don't think all draft prospects are created equal when it comes how a team rates them. Best pick on the board is probably relative to a teams situation and needs, as well as other factors.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I don't think all draft prospects are created equal when it comes how a team rates them. Best pick on the board is probably relative to a teams situation and needs, as well as other factors.
    Well said.

I think it's totally legit for considerations other than athletic talent to be factored in. Maybe it should be called BFU; Best Fit for Us.

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    Talk about old regimine! :P

I feel Curry is the BPA, as I've said (whether people agree or not), you can still pick a good tackle in Round 2, you won't find another Curry after, well Curry.

Truth is offline Registered User

All serious draft talk aside. The title of the article is making a rather obvious statement. With the exception of the 1st overall pick, we have ALL the options in the draft.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

theodus69 Guest

I know what we really need.............H.E.L.P.