Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Apologies that will be in order

Let's face it. Regardless of how the Rams perform, there will be some apologies in tow. At the very least there will be some crow to eat, but here's some apologies that may be coming down the pipe:

From various Ram fans:

1. Jimmy Kennedy - Eyebrows have been raised ever since he fell to the Rams #12 spot in the 2003 draft. He did not enter his rookie year with the right mindset (by his own admission), and then suffered a foot injury to quash his 2004 coming out party. Now he is primed to realize his enormous potential, even though some fans have tagged him as a bust ever since April 2003. After 2.5 years, Kennedy may finally earn an apology.

2. Ryan Pickett - Yet another 1st round DT "bust", even though he has done nothing but play through injuries and plug the middle like a hairball in a tub drain since 2001. He doesn't get big stats, so some fans want to call him a bust. The fact is in the past few years, he has had to stop the inside run game by himself. D-Lew is a solid inside pass rusher, but not the greatest of inside run stoppers, so that job has been left up to Grease. Now with Kennedy at his side, the "Greasy Bear" combo may get a combo apology.

3. Adam Archuleta - This kid comes in with a solid rookie year, follows that by leading NFL DBs in tackles, then misses 3 games in his third year and still manages to stay in the top 15 for tackles among NFL DBs. And to top it off, he plays the entire 2004 season with a back so messed up that he couldn't tie his own shoes, yet never missed a game and still managed to finish in the top 10 in tackles among DBs. And what does he get for his troubles, a whole chorus of fans that are ready to boot him at the first possible opportunity. Here's an idea, how about we see what state is back is in before we launch our most consistent DB.

4. Larry Marmie - I openly admit that I am at the front of this line. If Marmie can make this defense respectable again, I will have a jumbo size helping of crow coming my way, and an apology going his way. He's been running his system (or a hybrid thereof) with Lovie's personnel. In this case, it's like coaching a sumo team filled with cross country runners. It's doomed to failure. Well now, he has his personnel in place, so hopefully I have to make due on this apology.

From other team's fans:

1. Chris Claiborne - If you were to take seriously the opinions of opposing fans, you would think that replacing Thomas with Claiborne was like replacing Lawrence Taylor with Jonathen Taylor Thomas. For some reason, Claiborne has become the laughing stock of opposing team's fanbase. I, for one, don't understand it. He's had a solid career in his 6 years in the league, and at the very least has had more success than the guy he is replacing. As well, for the first time since his All-American days at USC, he has the middle all to himself. He played out of position for most of his days at Detroit and Minnesota. Claiborne won't get it, but he will be owed an apology by year end.

2. Dexter Coakley - Same as Claiborne. The philosophy change in Dallas left him without a position. Is that his fault...no. He brings a level of intensity and leadership to this defense that has been absent for a couple of years. Like Claiborne, he won't get an apology, but he will deserve one.

From the Media:

1. Mike Martz - Was there any doubt who this category would belong to? Martz has done nothing, but build one of the best records in the NFL over the last 5 years, but if you listen to the vast majority of talking heads, you would think he is nothing short of a retarded mule. Yet he keeps finding a way to win. The best example being the first Seahawk game last year. At halftime, Bradshaw and Long were openly mocking Martz and his passing game, literally laughing at the man for doing his job while the Rams were down. But at the end of the game, when the Rams with Martz pass happy scheme had won, those two meatheads couldn't put two syllables together. An apology will be earned, but anything short of 5 super bowl wins and a solution for global peace won't get the talking heads to admit they were wrong about Martz.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Re: Apologies that will be in order

very good post dude

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

2. Dexter Coakley - Same as Claiborne. The philosophy change in Dallas left him without a position. Is that his fault...no. He brings a level of intensity and leadership to this defense that has been absent for a couple of years. Like Claiborne, he won't get an apology, but he will deserve one.
    Not sure this one is in order. The fans of the Cowboys seemed pretty sad to see Dexter Coakley go.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I agree with your comments on Archuleta. If he has 5+ interceptions, everyone will be saying he's improved and has had his best season, regardless of what he does on the other 99% of the plays he's in. His best value (apart from last year when he was playing hurt) has always been his tackling and run support. If he's healthy, he'll continue to be valuable in that area.

Another guy who will be receiving apologies by the end of the year is Alex Barron. What fans will realize is that it is far more important that he is the starting RT in the playoffs than in the preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    Not sure this one is in order. The fans of the Cowboys seemed pretty sad to see Dexter Coakley go.
    You are right, Zig. But I was referring to the rest of the NFL fandom (outside of Dallas) who has already dropped both Claiborne and Coakley in the dime bin w/o ever setting foot on the field.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Excellent post HUb. I'm really excited about the defense and can't wait to see it make some statements on the field. IMO there will be many surprised detracters by mid season.

jkramsfan Guest

Very Well Put, Nice Post

majorram is offline Registered User

Great post HUB, I cannot wait to see the new D take the field and I will be 'too' eating crow if Marmie turns this D into a respectable one..

steve:clanram:

AugustaRamFan Guest

I would love some "crow" care of Mammie.

Thank you sir... may I have another... I love them tail feathers.....

theodus69 Guest

Apologies, smologies... If they produce great. No apology needed, they were expected to play better anyway! If they still perform or coach like $hit , than let'em go!:tongue:

maineram Guest

Excellent !! I'd like to ad Sir Marshall to that list. You know the washed up has been of a runningback. I hope Martz sticks it to the defenses with this guy as a receiver and a change of pace back.

Flash back to the 2004 regular season. Rams are in the red zone on the Baltimore 2 yard for their Monday night football matchup. Marshall get's the carry, hits a whole off center and meets, ( Mr. all world big mouth LB) Ray Lewis at the 1 and bulls his way into the ebd zone for a Rams TD !!!!
    The guy is gonna have a good year !!!

Maineram -

coy bacon Guest

From various Ram fans:

1. Jimmy Kennedy - Eyebrows have been raised ever since he fell to the Rams #12 spot in the 2003 draft. He did not enter his rookie year with the right mindset (by his own admission), and then suffered a foot injury to quash his 2004 coming out party. Now he is primed to realize his enormous potential, even though some fans have tagged him as a bust ever since April 2003. After 2.5 years, Kennedy may finally earn an apology.

A couple of things Hub....

1) APOLOGY: An acknowledgment expressing regret or asking pardon for a fault or offense.

2) JK is the only guy in the above list that I've criticized strongly. I've also chipped in on Pickett, but moreso on JK.

If JK makes it to the pro bowl, I'll not owe an apology because everyone agrees that given his performance over his career, he has done quite poorly. No need to apologize for stating the obvious. UNLESS, Hub, you believe that JK has played DT like a stud, (which I doubt).

Don't we all agree that JK has not delivered the goods or lived up to expectations? Has anyone forgotten how horrible his attitude was his first year? (Oh I know about a supposed couple of good games he had.... please, don't build your house on sand).

So, no apologies from me.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong and dominate this year. I'll be delighted to say, "yes! he's proven to be a stud DT!", because his success is our team's success, and that is, after all, what we want.

I'm still dreaming about Alice Bodine.

RealRam is offline Registered User

A very fine thread, HUbison. And the point is well taken. Excellent list.

Nonetheless, the other perspective, about an apology being uncalled for since everyone on the team is expected, i.e., demanded to play better or, at least to their true potential, brings balance to the argument.

GO RAMS!

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    From various Ram fans:

A couple of things Hub....

1) APOLOGY: An acknowledgment expressing regret or asking pardon for a fault or offense.

2) JK is the only guy in the above list that I've criticized strongly. I've also chipped in on Pickett, but moreso on JK.

If JK makes it to the pro bowl, I'll not owe an apology because everyone agrees that given his performance over his career, he has done quite poorly. No need to apologize for stating the obvious. UNLESS, Hub, you believe that JK has played DT like a stud, (which I doubt).

Don't we all agree that JK has not delivered the goods or lived up to expectations? Has anyone forgotten how horrible his attitude was his first year? (Oh I know about a supposed couple of good games he had.... please, don't build your house on sand).

So, no apologies from me.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong and dominate this year. I'll be delighted to say, "yes! he's proven to be a stud DT!", because his success is our team's success, and that is, after all, what we want.

I'm still dreaming about Alice Bodine.
    He's been unfairly labeled a "bust", and yes, if you're asking my opinion, that was an unfair label thrust upon him. His first year, he didn't have his head on straight. His 2nd year, he broke his foot. His 3rd year....we don't know do we? My point is since returning from his broken foot, he has done nothing but shave nearly 2 yards per carry off our run defense, and all indications are more of the same this year. People labeled him a "bust" without hearing all the evidence. He didn't sign a two year contract, he still has time to prove himself, which he may well do this year. A determination of one's career should not be judged so quickly. There are plenty of All-Pro level players that would have been labeled "bust" if their career lasted two years. So, has a fault been committed that needs acknowledgement? It very well could be. And by the end of the year, that apology may be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    A very fine thread, HUbison. And the point is well taken. Excellent list.

Nonetheless, the other perspective, about an apology being uncalled for since everyone on the team is expected, i.e., demanded to play better or, at least to their true potential, brings balance to the argument.

GO RAMS!
    Then it's a matter of timeline. How long does one have to prove themselves a non-bust? 1 year, 2 years, 5 years...or should we see what they do game from game until their time with the Rams is done, and then let's evaluate their career.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast