Yodude is offline Registered User

Apparently the rest of the NFL still thinks we're soft...

Battering Rams

Jets aim to rough up wide receivers

BY RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

St. Louis receivers Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt have always been a tough tandem to deal with, but this season they've combined for 2,351 yards and 13 touchdowns. The Jets will need to contain them on Sunday.

For six seasons, the Rams' Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt have formed one of the most dangerous receiving tandems in the NFL, but they've been hounded by a reputation for being finesse players. The book on them: Bang 'em around, and they start to crumble.

The Jets have been reading that book all week.

"That still holds true; that hasn't changed about them," cornerback David Barrett said yesterday. "You have to put your hands on them. You can't let them run down the field wide open. That's one thing we have to understand about them: If we can knock them around a little bit, they'll give the ball up."

Them's fighting words.

Defensively, the Jets are a confident bunch. Before last week, they had gone eight straight games without allowing a 200-yard passing day. Then along came a man named Brady - Tom Brady - who threw for 258 yards and two touchdowns in the Patriots' 23-7 win.

Evidently, that didn't seem to hurt the Jets' defensive bravado. On Sunday, they will get a chance to back up their words at the Edward Jones Dome, one of only two NFL venues that still use the old AstroTurf. (The RCA Dome in Indianapolis is the other.) The "Ed" is regarded as the fastest track in the league.

The Jets want to neutralize the Rams' speed by getting physical with their receivers, whom they believe can be intimidated.

"You'll see them catch a ball, kind of go down, do a submarine," safety Reggie Tongue said. "They don't like to get tackled. No receiver likes to get tackled, and they don't like it when you jam them or be physical with them. But, as a group, I'd have to say none of the (Rams) really handle the physical stuff very well."

Tongue did say that he ranks Bruce and Holt among the best receivers in the league - indeed, they've combined for 171 catches, 2,462 yards and 13 touchdowns - but there is some credence to the theory that they can be roughed up.

For example: Bruce has lost a career-high three fumbles (four fumbles total), while Holt has fumbled three times, the most since 1999, his rookie year. He has lost one.

Barrett, who prides himself on being a physical cornerback, smells an opportunity.

"For me, any chance I get to put my hands on them, I'm going to do it," he said. "That would help me a lot. If I can knock them off their route as many times as I can, I guarantee, they won't throw to my side."

Defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, who always preaches a physical style, said: "We can't just let them off the line of scrimmage and run vertical without putting our hands on them, unmolested. If we do that, we're in for a long day."

Having a game plan is one thing, executing it is another. Even though the Rams' offense no longer is considered the "Greatest Show on Turf," Bruce and Holt still have the speed (and smarts) to avoid most big hits.

"They've witnessed every defense imaginable over the years," Herman Edwards said.

Bruce and Holt also are getting help from the officials. Because of the stricter enforcement of the 5-yard contact rule, it's almost impossible to bump them once they're into their routes. If Barrett, Donnie Abraham and Terrell Buckley aren't careful, the "let's-get-physical" mantra could backfire and the penalty flags will be flying.

The Jets also have to be aware of the Rams' deceptive passing attack, which sets up defenses by running different plays out of the same formation. That said, the Jets still can't wait to try their Big Bang theory.

"I love it," Barrett said. "Get your hands on them and beat them up a little bit. That's all for me."

Originally published on December 30, 2004

Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Re: Apparently the rest of the NFL still thinks we're soft...

Just some of the same old crap regurgitated by a "sports writer" who has not got the faintest idea what the **** he is talking about.

For just once, I would like to read something original by one of these putzes

rebel13 Guest

Maybe not original, but certainly accurate. "Big Game Tory Holt" should change his name to "Big Fumble Tory Holt". And earlier this year Bruce was dropping the ball like a hot potato. I was embarrassed for him.
    Years ago, I remember the Bears and Redskins making similar comments about Eric Dickerson just before they playe the Rams. And sure enough, after giving ED a few good licks, he put the ball on the ground. Unfortunately our recievers seem to do the same.

WisRamsFan is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

From what I can recall most of the fumbles were from a third or fourth hit on them. Once they are hit and trying to drive the DB for more yards is when another player comes along a hits them and the ball comes loose.

About them going down immediately, if you watch them they turn and lower their heads for oncoming tacklers, as well as an attempt to keep control of the ball. When they are running crossing routes they are so exposed to get popped that the only thing to do is catch and curl.

Look at Todd Pinkston, would you rather have a guy that stops short of the route so he won't have to take a hit, or do you want a guy who catches the ball then prepares for a hit. The answer is simple.

DJRamFan Guest

It's a writer from NYC, they're idiots, 'nuff said.

Rough up ANY WR and they have a hard time catching the ball, it's called playing defense.

RamTime Guest

"Look at Todd Pinkston, would you rather have a guy that stops short of the route so he won't have to take a hit, or do you want a guy who catches the ball then prepares for a hit. The answer is simple."
    Yep.

Sorry but I like the fact that our receivers are smart enough not to take unnecessary hits just to prove that they won't fumble.

Remember this?

Tim McDonald and coach Jim Mora bragged about how they were going to rough up the Rams receivers physically. The Rams responded by throwing Isaac Bruce not one, not two, not three, but four touchdown passes on the day.

F*c* the Jets!

raminsyr Guest

"You'll see them catch a ball, kind of go down, do a submarine," safety Reggie Tongue said.
    Ain't that the truth. One can call it "avoiding an unneccessary hit" if one likes, but yards after the catch seem to be a thing of the past.

RamTime Guest

yards after the catch seem to be a thing of the past.
    The routes the Rams run can not be looked at in the same manner as those wussy 3 yard patterns most teams run in the wuss coast offense. Rac comes from those sissified patterns which unfortunately also vaults receivers like rice and QB's like montana into the stratosphere of the over-rated. So when comparing what rams receivers do and what other recievers do keep this in mind

WisRamsFan is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Funny how after the SB loss, the RAMS had been figured out. Rough up the recievers and you can stop the RAMS. Well if a combined 2500 yards recieving is stopping the RAMS recievers, I would hate to see what would happen if they weren't being stopped.

The Don Killuminati Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rebel13
    Maybe not original, but certainly accurate. "Big Game Tory Holt" should change his name to "Big Fumble Tory Holt". And earlier this year Bruce was dropping the ball like a hot potato. I was embarrassed for him.
    Years ago, I remember the Bears and Redskins making similar comments about Eric Dickerson just before they playe the Rams. And sure enough, after giving ED a few good licks, he put the ball on the ground. Unfortunately our recievers seem to do the same.
    finally, somebody on this board who makes sense!