throwback week

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Apples verses Apples??

With the bye, the Ram's division opponents had their hands full this week 5. Question is can one compare the results of how their division opponents faired agaisnt those the Rams played?

The Rams might have had their heads handed to them against the Giants, the Seahawks where ANNIHILATED. But on the same token the Cards destroyed the Bills where the Rams again had their heads handed to them.

Can one really gage the strength of the Rams based on how the rest of the division fairs against the same opponents? Or perhaps I am putting too much thought an analysis into it.

Or do the suttle difference between each contest and opponents make it Apples verse Oranges

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Re: Apples verses Apples??

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    With the bye, the Ram's division opponents had their hands full this week 5. Question is can one compare the results of how their division opponents faired agaisnt those the Rams played?

The Rams might have had their heads handed to them against the Giants, the Seahawks where ANNIHILATED. But on the same token the Cards destroyed the Bills where the Rams again had their heads handed to them.

Can one really gage the strength of the Rams based on how the rest of the division fairs against the same opponents? Or perhaps I am putting too much thought an analysis into it.

Or do the suttle difference between each contest and opponents make it Apples verse Oranges
    Dragoon, your query is pretty much what I continually try to stress when people try to compare players whether it be from game to game vs common opponents or whether it is era to era.

Stats are basically all we have for a baseline when doing comparisons but there are so many intangibles put into play in every play, series, game, or season that it is at best a skewed comparison.

So my vote would have to be that it is comparing Apples to Oranges.

Remember what Witchiepoo sang.. Oranges poranges, who said, there ain't no rhyme for oranges!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

moklerman Guest

This line of thinking is something I think everyone has dabbled with at one point or another but I offer the true pinnacle of cliche's as a base to start from. "Any given Sunday" should be what you temper any of these thoughts with for it is the true magic that makes the NFL go 'round.

sig51 Guest

I don't think someone can compare winning margins or anything like that. Saying that seattle got smoked by New York more than we did can't translate into we are a better football team than seattle.

However I think we can compare against who wins and loses against common opponents to some extent, not as a flat out base-line but a sizing up of sorts. For example we lost to buffalo and Arizona won against them. so right now we have to say they are the better team and their record proves it.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

It's certainly a fair question and one that can be played many ways.

The fact is we are 3 wins behind the Cardinals and have 2 games against them still. The NFC West is not out of reach.

GO RAMS!!!!!