berg8309 is offline Registered User

Appreciating Chris Long

I know Long gets a lot of positive comments on these boards, but on the eve of pro bowl selections, I just wanted to point out a few good things regarding our #2 overall pick of 2008.

Chris Long doesn't have the gaudy sack numbers, but he still has a lot of sacks. He has 8.5 sacks, which is 20th in the NFL. However what this stat doesn't tell is how Long forces QBs to move into the arms of Hall and Robbins as they try to escape the heat he is bringing. This also forces the QB to move to their left, which for most QBs makes it harder to throw, they'd rather roll right (unless they are left handed).

Long also often forces a double team which leaves less blockers on blitzes and makes our overall blitz game much more effective at disrupting the passing game.

Speaking of disrupting the passing game, according to Footballoutsiders, Long still leads the league in QB hurries. Which means that despite the fact the sack leader has managed to hit the QB with the ball still in his hand a whole 5.5 more times than Long (Less than once a game), Long is making the QB get rid of the ball and potentially make bad throws more often. Don't forget that part of a sack is coverage, if there is no one to throw to, the QB is much more likely to be sacked.

At the end of the day what you see is that, despite the lack of gaudy eye-popping stat numbers that voters and pro-bowl selectors probably look for, Chris Long has been as dominant a pass-rusher as it gets. I doubt Hall or Robbins has the sack numbers they do without Long getting in the QBs face as often as he does.

So I guess my point is, if Long doesn't make the pro bowl, it doesn't matter, because what matters is that he is making everyone else on that line better even if he isn't get the numbers to back it up.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Re: Appreciating Chris Long

I think he needs to work on his bull rush and the swim move to the inside in the off season and he'll become a Pro Bowler. It seems like he rellies too much on his speed rush outside and the speed outside spin inside one.

Dont get me wrong I love him and I think he has been huge to this defense, I just think this is what it will take for him to become a household name in this league.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    I think he needs to work on his bull rush and the swim move to the inside in the off season and he'll become a Pro Bowler. It seems like he rellies too much on his speed rush outside and the speed outside spin inside one.

Dont get me wrong I love him and I think he has been huge to this defense, I just think this is what it will take for him to become a household name in this league.
    I agree he needs a better swim, but his spin inside is pretty effective. He must be doing something right, as he gets in the QB's face as often as anyone else. He may not be a guy that every fan knows, but he's a guy that coaches are going to say "Ok, how do we stop him" and that's what matters on Sundays.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Long is stellar

macrammer is offline Registered User

I watched the Whiner and Rams live at Candlestick a month ago. Long is really loose out there. During TV timeouts, he is playing air guitar and joking with teammates. Then, when whistle blows, the guy is all business. I think he has progressed very well and will continue to develop technique. Great pick, comes from a football family i hear......

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I owe you some rep Berg, remind me after I spread some out. Long is my favorite Ram, and your points are perfect. He draws the double teams, fights through them to pressure the QB, and then sees the QB fall into the hands of his teammates. If he was a diva, I'm sure that it would bug him to no end, but as the huge team player that I've seen him to be, I'm sure he loves the fact that he's freeing up the other guys to be successful.

He'll only continue to get better, and I'm certain that if we can get some better coverage downfield, the sacks will come in droves. Howie had 18.5 sacks through his first three seasons, starting only 21 games in that span. Chris sits at 17.5, so he could easily catch his father with a sack on Sunday. I can find no evidence of Howie forcing any fumbles, but he recovered 10 in his career(2 in his 3rd year). Chris meanwhile, has not recovered any, but has forced 5 so far in his career, including 3 this year. If he keeps up his improvement from year to year, it won't be "long" until Howie is Chris' dad...
    I believe!