Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Appropos of nothing...

(...and not to speak ill of the dead), thank you AV for founding S.L.O.P.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that Chip Rosenbloom read posts on this forum, and was influenced in deciding to dump Linehan after four games last year.

I am SO, repeat , SO glad I will not have to look at his clueless, confused countenance on the sidelines anymore, I could dedicate a post to it.

Oh, wait...

Are we all liking what we're seeing this offseason, or what?

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

HornIt is offline Registered User

Re: Appropos of nothing...

Well, yeah but weren't we liking what we were seeing in the off season between the 05' and 06' season and then especially the 06' and 07' season too when they were coming off an improvement and an 8-8 year and the arrow appeared to be pointing up? People were talking about being a serious contender.

Then the 07' season happened.... and then 08'.

I'm happy Linehan is gone. I'm even more happy Haslett is gone. I'm happy with Spagnuolo and what they are trying to do. But I've been there before. So I wonder how long do they get until we see S.S.O.P?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    Well, yeah but weren't we liking what we were seeing in the off season between the 05' and 06' season and then especially the 06' and 07' season too when they were coming off an improvement and an 8-8 year and the arrow appeared to be pointing up? People were talking about being a serious contender.

Then the 07' season happened.... and then 08'.

I'm happy Linehan is gone. I'm even more happy Haslett is gone. I'm happy with Spagnuolo and what they are trying to do. But I've been there before. So I wonder how long do they get until we see S.S.O.P?
    I'm obviously hoping we don't ever get to the "Party Against Spags". However if we do go that route we will have to get creative. S.S.O.P. just doesn't work in my mind. I'm thinking something like....

Fans Against Steve Spags. (F.A.S.S.)

Back on topic. I was very very excited when we hired Linehan and Haslett. I was actually more excited about the hiring of Haslett than I was about Linehan. Talk about a huge let down and a complete failure.

I am and will give the new regime the benefit of the doubt and be patient. I really don't have much choice do I? It won't take long for my patience to wear thin if I'm seeing the same characteristics as last season.

1. Failure to make halftime adjustments
    2. Running out of gas in the 2nd half

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Two conclusive statements I will stand by:

1. I will NEVER regret forming SLOP; and

2. I will NEVER form SSOP (or any other similar "organization).

Why?

When Line#@& was hired, as much as I tried to support him, I never saw him as HC material.

I don't feel the same way about Spagnuolo. He seems to have HC written all over him.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Yes he does, and actually, it was seeing various photos of him in the sidebar on this board that prompted the post.

He simply looks the part, with the track record to back it up.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Can't say I like this off-season......

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

That picture, I presume, was what the Gateway Arch looks like after a six pack?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That picture, I presume, was what the Gateway Arch looks like after a six pack?
    Yep, and also that will be our sponsor next year when we win the Superbowl. Everyone will be jumping to endorse us.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Can't say I like this off-season......

Can I super-size that,please ?!!

Spags totally looks the part. Great moment in our game vs NYG last year where one of his DBs blew an assignment-I think it was Dockery. You could see the frustration & competitive fire on Spags' face as he approached the player but he put his arm around the kid's shoulder,explained what he SHOULD have done & smacked him on the butt before he went out again.

That's a born leader & teacher,imo.

No comparison to Limpehan's "just sucked on a lemon" face and phony rah-rah.

I also like the classy way they sent off Pace. In direct contrast , as mentioned in a recent PD article, to how Bruce was cursorily dismissed.

Good golly, is Rams Park becoming a place where good players actually will want to come?
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -03-12-2009 at 11:48 PM.

thoey is offline Registered User

Azul, that would totally suck. Can you imagine if we had our choice of players because they all wanted to be a Ram? Man, Draft and FA is confusing for this old mind now. Don't quadruple the possibilities please...

This space for rent...

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    Azul, that would totally suck. Can you imagine if we had our choice of players because they all wanted to be a Ram? Man, Draft and FA is confusing for this old mind now. Don't quadruple the possibilities please...

I just got goosebumps...or dare I say phoenixbumps !

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Can I super-size that,please ?!!

Spags totally looks the part. Great moment in our game vs NYG last year where one of his DBs blew an assignment-I think it was Dockery. You could see the frustration & competitive fire on Spags' face as he approached the player but he put his arm around the kid's shoulder,explained what he SHOULD have done & smacked him on the butt before he went out again.

That's a born leader & teacher,imo.

No comparison to Limpehan's "just sucked on a lemon" face and phony rah-rah.

I also like the classy way they sent off Pace. In direct contrast , as mentioned in a recent PD aricle, to how Bruce was cursorily dismissed.

Good golly, is Rams Park becoming a place where good players actually will want to come?
    I think some of this is being spun incorrectly.

Linehan had a policy that he personally met with every player that was released face to face. I have not heard a single word about Spags doing that with Pace. Did he? Do we care?

The PD article made an issue out of the public relations side of the release. The press release that comes out of the public relations department, not the coach's office, was superior in the Pace case to the Bruce case. And the Rams just hired a new P R director. But what do Spags or what did Linehan have to do with that?

Spags is the guy I wanted all along, but the "looks the part" thing isn't a reliable predictor of results. I never thought Belichick the zero personality, discheveled loner, Walsh the geeky professor nor Vermeil the overemotional crier looked the part. And the list of failed head coaches that looked the part is a pretty long one.
    Last edited by HornIt; -03-13-2009 at 01:05 AM.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Linehan had a policy that he personally met with every play that was released face to face. I have not heard a single word about Spags doing that with Pace. Did he? Do we care?

The PD article made an issue out of the public relations side of the release. The press release that comes out of the public relations department, not the coach's office, was superior in the Pace case to the Bruce case. And the Rams just hired a new P R director. But what do Spags or what did Linehan have to do with that?

Spags is the guy I wanted all along, but the "looks the part" thing isn't a reliable predictor of results. I never thought Belichick the zero personality, discheveled loner, Walsh the geeky professor nor Vermeil the overemotional crier looked the part. And the list of failed head coaches that looked the part is a pretty long one.
    Looking the part only goes so far. They do claim that the way you can look can be a big predictor of your success, depending on your workfield. I don't know if that applies to head coaches or not ...

Some coaches look like coaches, your Bill Cohwers and the sort ...

But, Mike Tice looked the part, and he was terrible ...

I would rather have a tough guy roaming the sidelines versus a weasly looking character. But when that tough guy opens his mouth and apparently has been sucking helium, can cowers away from the first sign of a confrontation, what good is the tough guy look?

Dungy was no tough guy. Mild mannered to the point of being meek. He did all right.

Joe Gibbs. Quiet as a field mouse.

Tom Landry. Totally unemotional. Looked like a stock broker, not a football coach.

Add that to the guys already mentioned and I think it's pretty clear that there is no set template. Success comes in many different packages, as does failure.

The one common thread seems to be people who are unabashedly themselves and who refuse to conform to somebody else's notion of what looking the part is supposed to look like.

Linehan had a policy that he personally met with every play that was released face to face. I have not heard a single word about Spags doing that with Pace. Did he? Do we care?

The "they" I was referring to were Devaney and Chip who were both quoted expressing gracefully what Pace had meant to the team, not Spags or Limpehan. Pace & Spags never worked together so I'm not surprised if he stayed out of it.What would he have said, other than stating the obvious/mouthing platitudes?

"Nice not to have worked with you.I hear you were good. "

I really was speaking more metaphorically than literally with "looks the part".Just trying to illustrate what we have heard from all quarters, and what I feel we have seen of his methods so far, regarding Spags' inspirationally competitive manner and communication skills. As opposed to Limpehan who never looked more than worried or, lacking the leader's gravitas, silly when he tried to fire up the players during a game. Picture Andy Dick sincerely trying to deliver the freedom pre-battle speech in Braveheart to understand how he looked to me.

Could be a Kuleshov effect involved; I'm just projecting my preconceptions.

Of course there are many kinds of good HCs. The important point is that Spags seems likely to be one of them whereas Limpehan never will,imo.

I think Limpehan was right about a few things; Fakhir, the need for fresh legs @ WR; he probably has a good football brain & was a decent guy but that isn't enough to be a good HC. The recipe's proportions may vary but all the ingredients have to be there.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -03-13-2009 at 03:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast