Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

AR Takes Bernie To Task; Bernie Backtracks, Then Blathers

Well, here's my recent Q&A with everyone's favorite Author of Ram Disdain, Bernie Miklasz:

AvengerRam:

Not too long ago, you were using terms like "anarchy" and "helter skelter" to describe the Rams' front office, and asking "I wonder who's minding the store."

Yet, despite whatever unrest you may have perceived, the front office has managed to:

Restructure Faulk's contract
    Sign Dexter Coakley
    Sign Chris Claiborne
    Sign Roland Williams
    Sign Mike Stone

and

Re-sign Orlando Pace

I guess its easier to throw stones than to retrieve them, but maybe its time for a bit of a retraction on your part, don't you think?

Bernie:

David,

To answer your question, I'm glad to see a more aggressive approach.

Zygmunt in particular seems to be dealing with a greater sense of urgency -- and with good reason, since he's locked into a power struggle with Martz, and has to show the owners that he still has a fastball.

I'm sorry if my writings about the Rams' front office mess offended you. If anything I'm guilty of understating the magnitude of the problem.

For future reference, there's no shortage of media folks in town who will spoon the company line to you, and you can absorb it and live happily ever after, content that the Rams are the perfect organization, and that there's nothing but sunshine and blue skies overhead at Rams Park.

Cheers,
    Bernie

I'm sure the front office is thrilled that Bernie has decided - upon being prodded to do so - to give them credit.

Then, Bernie contradicts himself...

First, he tells us that he's "understating the magnitude of the problem," and then throws out his stock line that he's not one of the media types who "will spoon the company line to you."

So... which is it, Bernie? Are you giving us the complete story, or are you understating it to stay closer to the "company line"?

I suppose I could ask that question of Bernie himself, but I already know the answer. He is neither a "shill" for the Rams, nor is he a noble conduit of the hard facts. He is simply whatever it is convenient for him to be at any particular moment. If he wants to build a relationship with Martz or others in the Rams organization, he'll do a puff piece. If things are slow, he'll stir things up by screaming "the sky is falling" when, in fact, its merely a bit of rain.

The only surprising thing in Bernie's response was his referring to me by my first name. I'm not certain how he even knows what my name is, as I don't recall mentioning it on his or the PD boards. Perhaps he looked it up from my registration information - which would be an odd thing to do. Also, one has to ask why he would use my first name, when he does not typically respond to other questions in that way. My theory: he was trying to make me uncomfortable by subtly saying "hey, I know who you are." If that was the reason, that tells me that I got to him a bit. I'm glad.

The point of all this is - don't believe everything you read. Bernie, and his like, are not "journalists." They are storytellers. And while their stories may be "based on a true story," they may not actually be the truth.

Re: AR Takes Bernie To Task; Bernie Backtracks, Then Blathers

Okay, I couldn't resist. Here's my response to Bernie:

Bernard,

I don't recall saying I was "offended" by your article. Moreover, though you have responded to me by my first name, you obviously don't know me - I hardly seek to be spoon fed the company line.

The problem with your article is that it was short on facts, and long on speculation and innuendo. The ultimate conclusion of your article - that the the Rams Front Office is in chaos - is belied by its peformance in recent weeks. Thus, my suggestion that you acknowledge the possiblity that you were overreacting.

You seem to think that your readers fit into only three, categories: (1) those who agree with and/or accept everything you say, (2) complete malcontents, and (3) those who want sunshine blown up their rear ends. I would submit to you that there are many who fit into none of these categories.

Here's a tip. Have more faith in the reasonableness of your readers (rather than showing the disdain and defensiveness you show so often) and you'll become a much better writer.

WisRamsFan is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

AV, you crack me up. I may not always agree with what you post, but I thouroughly enjoy reading every post you make (if only for the humor). It was time someone put Bernie in his place, of course it more than likely fell on deaf ears.

Thanks, Wis.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Hey AV, remind me never to argue with you. It won't take much for you to convince me that I've been wrong the whole time. :redface:

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bernie respond with something along the lines of:

Sorry the truth about the chaos in the Rams front office has ruined your day.

Lighten up.

Cheers,
    Bernie

14darams is offline Registered User

Nice Job on the Virtual Flaming Bag of Poo Avenger!

I would have guessed that he would have responded in such a manner too, Zig, but, instead, he has responded as follows:

David,

You're new here, so I'll try to briefly explain something...

My response is based on the tone of the person who directs the discussion to me.

Poster friendly = Bernie friendly.
    Poster aggressive = Bernie aggressive.
    Poster hostile = Bernie hostile.

So if you come in here with an aggressive tone, that's fine. Just don't complain when I respond in kind.

I can assure you that the chaos at Rams Park continues.

Actually it is worse than I thought.

I'll be writing about this again after the NCAA Tournament.

There's another point to make here: scrunity -- and shining a light -- can often cause a positive response in those being scrutinzed. Not always, but sometimes. That's why I feel at times it is valuable for me to apply pressure. The Rams are sensitive to these things.

I realize that some, or many, readers believe that what I write has no impact at all, and that's fine. Believe as you desire. But after I wrote that column, I received not one but two calls from Rams officials -- I would categorize them, to use the politics parlance, "senior administration officials." And both told me (independent of each other) that the colum rocked Rams Park, it was all that anybody talked about for a day. And one of the officials actually thanked me for lighting a fire out there.

Again: feel free to dismiss this. That's fine with me. Doesn't change the truth in any way.

Thanks for the discussion.

Cheers,
    Bernie

Someone sure likes to toot his own horn, huh? And he's not too defensive, is he? Could it be that I got under his skin?

Anyway, here's my final reply to Bernie:

Bernard,

Well, I hope that my scrutiny and "shining of a light" on your shortcomings will elicit the same type of positive response from you that you seem to think you have prompted from the Rams' Front Office (thanks for getting them to do their jobs, by the way).

I'm just glad that the Front office hasn't adopted a reactionary policy like you have ( "Bernie critical = Front office ignores him and listens to John Hadley").

Anyway, maybe, one day, you'll thank me for as you put it, "lighting a fire" here.

You're welcome for the discussion.

L'Chaim

AvengerRam

He just can't let it go! Here's his reply:

David,

Actually I already was doing my job.

I wrote the column that prompted you to react.

I also spend the time in here, reading posts and responding to them, and trying my best to have a conversation .... and trying my best to pass along information.

I really didn't need a fire started under me, since I treated you as I treated anyone who takes the time to participate here.

On another topic...

I know. It's hard to believe that I have any influence.

It's not something that a person such as yourself wants to hear or accept.

The Rams of course pay more attention to anonymous Internet posters.

Cheers,
    Bernie

Clearly, I've been all wrong about Bernie. He's the one person looking out for the Rams' interests. Why, if it weren't for him, the Front Office would have sat around doing nothing all these weeks. He's the reason why we have Coakley and Claiborne, and Pace locked up for seven years. We all need to send Bernie Thank You notes.

<ERROR MESSAGE: SARCASM OVERLOAD WARNING>
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-17-2005 at 01:28 PM.

Bloody hell Av, keep it up, I just had to use two baby wipes to clean my screen. :::THUMBS UP FROM RAMDEZ:::

And (without any additional comment from me), yet another response from Bernie:

David,

No, the column didn't prompt the recent signings.

I think Zygmunt is more worried about losing his job than anything I write.

But I wish that you could somehow understand how pressure from the only newspaper in town could be valuable.

Cheers,
    Bernie

Methinks he doth protest too much.

Actually, this confirms what most of us have suspected about Bernie and his type - he is not interested in being a "journalist." He actually thinks that he is somehow an influencing factor over the team. I guarantee you that if any of the Front Office Executives or Mike Martz (or any player, for that matter) read Bernie's comments on how he can "pressure" the team they would laugh (kind of the way an adult laughs at a child who says something cute and naive - bordering on stupid).

Geez, what an ego.

All I can say is that the day the team molds its actions to Bernie's pressure... well that would be a scary time for the Rams.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-17-2005 at 01:42 PM.

LOL. Someone on the Herd board started a thread about Bernie's responses to my posts, and they too think he's going to break his arm patting himself on the back.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie
    But I wish that you could somehow understand how pressure from the only newspaper in town could be valuable.
    How sad that Bernie uses this statement as a badge of honor, when in fact, this is the smoking gun to show his loss of journalistic integrity. He is here to report on the news, and in their place and time spout off some of his opinions. But never should the media have an interest in MAKING the news. This is exactly what he says his paper is doing. What an awful conclusion that Bernie is so eager to prostitute his occupation and industry just for a pat on the back. Truly sad.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Someone sure likes to toot his own horn, huh?[/color]
    ...says the guy who started this thread to talk about how he's taking Bernie to task and who has posted in it seven times (of twelve responses) with transcripts. :tongue:
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

All I have to say to that, Nick is:

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

So I just finished reading the entire thread between AV, Bernie and BMs minions. And after doing so, let me say there's no surprise that Bernie "toots his own horn". All of his little groupies over there have their craniums so far up his rectum, their necks stink.

It's ridiculous. Basically he says something and they grovel at his feet like the almighty Deity said it Himself. Sad, really sad.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast