throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    maineram Guest

Arch moving back to SS !!

Just read an article on the official page that Martz is moving Arch back to SS. Says after seeing him play FS, not having the speed, and having him made it through a game with no issues with his back it's over and done. Carter will back him up at that spot. Still additioning for the vacant FS, but Furry has caught his eye, and may possibly move Bartell over to FS from corner where he has dropped off in the running for an outside position.

Would love to ad the link but I'm joe dumb SHIP when it comes to linking articles.

It was clear to me watching the game Arch was not going to make it at FS.

Maineram -

viper is offline Registered User

Re: Arch moving back to SS !!

That is welcome news. What a relief!!!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Here is the article....

Archuleta Moves Back to Strong Safety
    Monday, August 22, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

It didn’t take long for the Adam Archuleta-as-free-safety experiment to come to an end.

Coach Mike Martz announced Monday afternoon that Archuleta will move back to his more natural strong safety spot after playing the free spot against the Chargers on Sunday.

"We are going to move Adam back to strong safety,” Martz said. “We have not told Adam this yet. We are going to move some guys around. We need to put some guys in positions in the first few preseason games and really put their face to the fire and find out how well they respond on both sides of the ball. Now we need to settle in on the guys that are going to play and start.”

The move of Archuleta back to the strong position does not come as much of a surprise one day after he had his first contact of the preseason. Archuleta appeared to lack the speed and coverage ability to play the free spot as well as he did the strong spot from the point when the move to free was first announced.

Throughout training camp and the preseason, Archuleta has lined up at free safety with rookie Jerome Carter starting at strong safety. Archuleta sat out the Chicago game because he was deemed not ready for contact and rookie Oshiomogho Atogwe started in his place.

After getting the first glimpse of Archuleta at free safety Sunday, it became apparent that he would be better off back home. He missed a tackle on Chargers’ back LaDainian Tomlinson that led to a 55-yard touchdown. Though there are plenty of defenders that have failed to tackle Tomlinson, Archuleta was nowhere near making the play.

Archuleta finished the game with six tackles and actually performed better as the game went along, but it was clear that he was far more comfortable near the line of scrimmage, even showing some gusto on a couple of blitzes where he got to the quarterback and forced early throws.

“I think when it’s all said and done, Adam is – particularly in our nickel package – better down inside than back,” Martz said. “That’s what he is. He’s such an instinctive and quick guy in the running game that we miss him being back there. The reason we put him at free safety was related to the back and all that stuff. He got through this fine. As long as he’s OK with it, we’d like to make that move. We haven’t told him that yet. It’s not that big of an issue.”

Archuleta’s move back won’t be as a backup to Carter, either. Carter had a solid first game against the Bears, but struggled some against Chicago. Archuleta instantly takes over that position and Carter will remain as his backup.

“I think Archuleta is a bonafied starter wherever we line him up,” Martz said. “I think you can probably deduce that when we move him to strong safety and he starts wherever he is at. We want him down inside which is where he is good at so to speak.”

The move leaves another burning question that was popular during the offseason. Who plays free safety with Archuleta and Carter at strong?

There are plenty of contenders for the job, with a mix of youngsters and veterans fighting for the job. Michael Hawthorne appears to be the leader in the clubhouse, but Atogwe and Mike Furrey also figure into the mix.
    Martz didn’t rattle off a list of the possibilities, but he did say that Furrey has caught his eye.

“Mike Furrey really played well,” Martz said. “He has probably been the biggest surprise of camp. We put him over there because of his speed and quickness and his mentality on special teams. That carried over to defense and he’s a good tackler. He’s got good break on the ball, he has good speed. He’s going to factor in on defense particularly on our nickel stuff.”

Although it appears that Martz would prefer not to start a rookie at free safety, one more option that could be intriguing from an athletic standpoint is cornerback Ronald Bartell.

Bartell has worked exclusively at cornerback during the preseason, but he played some safety in college and appears to have fallen behind slightly in the race at corner.

Regardless of whom it is, Martz is hoping that someone will emerge as the free safety.

“There’s several guys back there that I think are going to be really good,” Martz said. “I’m not really concerned about it. We are trying to identify guys, give them opportunities to make plays on both sides of the ball and special teams and see what they do. Now we have got a pretty good book on everybody and it’s time to settle in and line them up right.”
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

maineram Guest

Thanx Nick

Maineram -

RealRam is offline Registered User

Okay then.

A little bit to the right, a little bit to the left, put in, take out. Whatever adjustments are necessary -- whatever it takes!

JUST DO IT.

Yesterday's first half fisco may serve us well after all. In defense of --

RamsFan16 Guest

HORRIBLE NEWS!!!:sad:

Chiledog Guest

This is great news. Arch did well at SS in the past, and has just not performed at FS. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Get him back were he belongs and can make a contribution
    -

Tony Soprano Guest

Archuleta looked like a sofa sitting in the middle of the desert. He was definitely out of place. Pass coverage is not his strength.

talkstoangels61 Guest

What game was MM watching?.......I didnt see furrey make alot of plays at all

TTA61, 'Coach was referring to Furrey during his play at camp. :football:

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Could this move signal the return of Aeneas Williams that was hinted at earlier in the month?

He couldn't be any worse than Hawthorne or Furrey right?

ZZ, it certainly must have entered in the minds of coaches / players alike!

No doubt. The real issue of course, is his condition ... as no one would -- nor could -- question his disposition. What a scene that would be in the Rams secondary!

Another 'Tom Nütten Saga'. :angryram: Captain Aeneas' LEADERSHIP.

sanches Guest

Another article:

http://www.belleville.com/mld/bellev...s/12451679.htm

Archuleta's move to strong safety will help run defense

Had six tackles against Chargers

BY STEVE KORTE

News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS - The experiment with Adam Archuleta as a free safety is over.

St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz announced on Monday that Archuleta will move back to strong safety, where he's more of a factor in run defense.

"When it is all said and done, Adam is probably better, particularly in our nickel package, down inside than in the back," Martz said. "That's what he is. He's such an instinctive and quick-read guy in the running game that we miss him being up there."

Martz moved Archuleta to free safety because he felt the position would be less physically demanding. Archuleta played with a herniated disc in his back much of last season.

Archuleta made his preseason debut on Sunday in the Rams' 36-21 loss to the San Diego Chargers.

Archuleta had a team-leading six tackles in the game, but he also had a missed tackle on a 55-yard touchdown run by the Chargers' LaDainian Tomlinson in the first quarter.

"He got through this fine," Martz said of Archuleta's back problem. "As long as he is OK with it, I'd like to make that move. We've not told him that yet. It's not that big of an issue. I think he really wants to do that, be down in the action so to speak instead of in back."

Rookie Jerome Carter, who has been starting at strong safety, will be Archuleta's backup.

"I think Archuleta is a bonafide starter wherever we line him up," Martz said when asked if Archuleta and Carter would be competing for playing time.

The Rams have several candidates at free safety, including rookie Oshiomogho Atogwe, Michael Hawthorne, Michael Stone and Mike Furrey. Atogwe didn't play against the Chargers due to a slightly strained groin muscle.

Martz praised Furry for having a good preseason after switching from wide receiver to safety.

"He has probably been the biggest surprise of camp," Martz said. "We put him over there because of his speed and quickness and his mentality on special teams, and it carried over to defense. He's a good tackler, he gets a great break on the ball and he has that speed. He's going to be a factor on defense, particularly in our nickel stuff."

Barron gets low marks

Offensive tackle Alex Barron, the Rams' first-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, got a less than glowing review from Martz after seeing his first action in an NFL game. Barron played the entire second half against the Chargers.

"He played like a guy who hasn't had any reps," Martz said of Barron, who missed the first two weeks of training camp before coming to a contract agreement. "There is a lot of things that I am very pleased about Alex. I'm very pleased about his focus and his physical aspect, which is going to make him a player. He's just lost. He's too high. There are some mental assignments where we had a minus-4 yard deal on a run. Those kind of things he just has to sort through. That time missed is just invaluable."

Martz said he was confident that Barron eventually will develop into the team's starting right tackle, though he'll remain as the backup left tackle for now.

"He's going to be a good player," Martz said. "How soon? I don't know. He has more to him as far as the aggressiveness than people think. I'm very pleased with that part of it. I'm pleased with him. He's going to be a project for a while."

Injury report

Tight end Roland Williams underwent an MRI on Monday on the knee that he injured in the first quarter against the Chargers, but Martz said he doesn't think the injury is serious.

"We'll do an MRI because it's the knee that just had surgery," Martz said. "I expect that it might be a bruise. He's walking around fine. He has a little swelling in there. We'll have in back in short order, hopefully in a week or two."

Quarterback Jamie Martin was held out of the game against the Chargers due to a strained groin muscle.

Dredging up a bad memory

The death of San Francisco ***** guard Thomas Herrington brought back memories for Martz of a player who died in a car accident when he was an assistant coach at Bullard High School in Fresno, Calif., in 1973.

"It was not football related," Martz said. "We had just practiced in the morning, and it was my first year of coaching. They were going to the lake, and they were going 15 mph up an embankment to the lake. They caught a rut and the car slowly turned over. It was a freak accident."

Contact reporter Steve Korte at skorte@bnd.com or 239-2522.

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

The reason we put him at free safety was related to the back and all that stuff. He got through this fine. As long as he’s OK with it, we’d like to make that move.
    But all the chicken littles running around here said that Arch sucks! Why would Martz move him to FS and now back again? It can't possibly be because Martz wanted to protect his back from contact until he and Arch were comfortable that the back could take it....could it? And yes, that is most definitely sarcasm you smell!

I swear for the life of me I don't understand why there are so many "fans" ready to get rid of Arch because he hurt his back. Give him a chance to recover (which he seems to have done), let him work his way in slowly at a less physical spot...like, oh I don't know, how about....Free Safety, then move him back to his natural position once everyone that matters is satisfied with his progress.

But if it makes some of you feel better, go ahead, here I'll get you started, "the sky is falling, the sky is falling"
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

It can't possibly be because Martz wanted to protect his back from contact until he and Arch were comfortable that the back could take it....could it? And yes, that is most definitely sarcasm you smell!
    What? Don't you get it? Martz never does any thing that would make sense, such as protecting Arch until he's ready. It just can't be!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast