RamWraith is offline Registered User

Archuleta admits to playing with pain

He doesn't think he'll miss game with *****

skorte@bnd.com

ST. LOUIS - By Steve Korte

Strong safety Adam Archuleta said a back problem won't keep him out of the St. Louis Rams' game against the San Francisco ***** on Sunday night.

Archuleta has been bothered by a bulging disc in his back for a couple of weeks. He sat out practice Thursday and Friday.

"Two thumbs up, I'm good," Archuleta said when asked if he'd be able to play against the *****.

Rams coach Mike Martz said the team will wait until Sunday to make a decision on whether Archuleta will play against the *****.

"We'll just see how he is on game day," Martz said. "I think he'll be all right. He is just a little stiff back there ... he has a little bit of bulging disc and it is tightening up a little. Until he can get it loosened up, it is kind of hard."

Rich Coady took Archuleta's spot with the first-string defense in practice, but Archuleta said there was no chance that he wouldn't be in the starting lineup against the *****.

"It'll be all right by Sunday," Archuleta said. "It's just a matter of this is what we do for a living. I don't know how else to answer. You see your teammates out there battling and everybody is working hard and trying to get this thing right.

"No way does watching them enter your mind."

Archuleta has been playing through the pain this season. He leads the Rams in tackles with 30 this season.

"It's frustrating because in a perfect world you want to feel your best every day," Archuleta said. "Obviously, it is easier to perform when you do play your best, but few guys during the NFL season can say that they're feeling their best. There is always going to be something wrong. It's just one more thing you have to deal with."

Archuleta the fact that the Rams are the only NFL team that has yet to force a turnover this season has weighed heavily on his mind.

"I'm more tired about not getting any turnovers than people asking me about it," Archuleta said. "It's just something we have to do. It's the biggest factor in winning football games.

"I think guys feel a sense of urgency. We want to step up and make plays. We want to be the spark that ignites the chain reaction."

Left guard Chris Dishman was unable to practice all week due to a sprained ankle, meaning Scott Tercero will likely take his place against the *****.

Tercero was elated about the possibility of making his first NFL start in his own background.

Tercero grew up in Pico Rivera, Calif., and played college football for the University of California.

"It is going to be great to go back there and play against a team like the Niners,'" Tercero said. " I can't wait."

Tercero played part of the second quarter and the entire second half against the New Orleans Saints last week after Dishman went down with the ankle injury.

"I knew since I was backing up that it would eventually happen, but I'm kind of glad it happened earlier rather than later just to get that done and over with," Tercero said. " It's only going to get better from here on out."

Tercero worked at all five positions on the offensive line during training camp.

"During camp it was difficult going from position to position, but I think I am better for it now," Tercero said. "I know the offensive line really well now. I know every position really well now. I feel comfortable going in wherever they need me."

Running back Arlen Harris got a lot of carries in practice Friday because the team wanted to make sure his hamstring injury wasn't serious enough to keep him out against the *****.

It's unlikely that Harris will be returning kickoffs against the *****. Martz refused to say who would be the team's kickoff returner, jokingly pointing to his less-than-fleet-footed fullback as the leading candidate.

"I think Joey Goodspeed will do very well back there," Martz said with a big grin.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Archuleta admits to playing with pain

I am sure that Arch plays even when he is in pain. He is focused and driven to play.

Arch made a lot of tackles towards the end of the last game. I hope he is feeling good enough to play tomorrow.

I am sure the defense must be getting frustrated with their performance this year. Hopefully the frustration will push them into action.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Archuleta admits to playing with pain

Sooner than later, Arch is likely to have a Pro Bowl season. Pound for pound, he's a professional football player. I hope he can overcome this injury even sooner.

Would like to see Dishman back next week also, or after Bye week, at least.

"Amigo Arlen, get well". He's a good man. A good ram.