Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Archuleta falling apart

This is very disturbing information!

Rams | Archuleta Injury Update - from www.KFFL.com
    Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:19:43 -0800

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports an examination on S Adam Archuleta has determined that the safety has two degenerative discs in his back. "They don't feel like they need to do surgery," coach Mike Martz said. "But they need to rehab it pretty good. So we'll have him on a physical therapy (regimen)."

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Re: Archuleta falling apart

Adam is currently my fav. Ram:this real upsets me.Lets blame it on Marmie

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Hopefully Arch will be well rested and back to 100% by the time camps start up.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

maineram is offline Registered User

This is a very bad sign for Arch & the Rams for a starting strong safety. The strong safety is, "THE THUMP", to apposing offenses.
    Back in the eraly 90's I had back trouble pretty bad, and the diagnosis was a degenerative disk with a pars defect in my L5 vertebrea, (last vertabrea down just above the tailbone). The L5 & L4 just above it, gives the body it's full range of motion for the upper body. I had to have the disk replaced, so to speak, and also had the L5 fused, ( my L5 was in three pieces) with the sacrum bone (tail bone) to prevent me ending up in a wheel chair.
    My surgeries !!! Were successful, but took a full 2 years of rehab & therapy for me to do much of anything besides taking a dump.
    It's been 12 years since my surgeries, some range of motion is gone do to that fusion, but do most things I want including my continued play as a starting wideout & DB for my touch/flag football teams.
    If Arch doesn't have surgery on his disk, it will continue to be a,"THUMP", away from a long rode back to doing much of anything, dump excluded.
    Sorry to rant, but this one hits home for me, and wanted to share my intimate knowledge of back pain and treatment.

I'm not a doctor, but will play one here at Clanram !!!

Maineram - :ramlogo:
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I hate that for Arch as a person. However, as a 1st round draft pick, he really hasn't displayed that potential. Ever. Safeties have to be able to cover a receiver AND play a big part in the running game. He hasn't shown very much coverage skills. Ever. I feel the Rams were looking at S in the draft anyway.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Let me tell you, I also have this condition and there is no cure. Not even rest and PT will cure this problem. He may strengthen the area around the disc's to help provide support. However, given Adam's current conditioning state, I am not sure that this is even something that is going to help him.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Hopefully Arch will be well rested and back to 100% by the time camps start up.

viper is offline Registered User

It doesn't sound good for Arch. He may never get back to 100%. I agree his coverage skills were poor. With his condition and Aeneas's injuries and probable retirement, I think safety will be another priority in FA and the draft.

So many needs, so little cap room. This will be an interesting off season to say the least. Let's hope the FO can pull off some miracles!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The term "degenerative" is fairly broad. It basically denotes an injury that gradually gets worse over time. It doesn't really tell us much about the severity.

That said, quality strong safeties can be had in the middle rounds of the draft. Might need to invest a pick on a contingency plan player.

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Let me tell you, I also have this condition and there is no cure. Not even rest and PT will cure this problem. He may strengthen the area around the disc's to help provide support. However, given Adam's current conditioning state, I am not sure that this is even something that is going to help him.
    I guess it makes sense that the Rams were talking to Jammal Brimmer during Senior week, seeing as how he's a strong safety prospect that could probably be had in the second or early third round.

clanram_81 is offline Registered User

Adam is one of my fav. rams and I hate to here that about such a promising athlete.
    :football: ... It isn't the size of the dog in the fight ... It is the size of the fight in the dog ...:clanram:

viper is offline Registered User

Welcome clanram 81! I agree...I had the greatest hopes for our young man Arch. His future has not been determined yet, but, he has some serious issues to work through. Let's hope that he can rise up and play to the potential that he showed in his first year!

RamTime Guest

Its time the Rams make some tough decisions. We need to get some guys in here that are healthy and can play. I don't want to rely on someone getting healthy who is not going to effective regardless of his health. I agree that Archelleta has been more hype then substance since his arrival in St. Louis but I don't fault Adam for that, I fault the media for the hype and the state of the defense for the substance. Nevertheless it's time to make some tough decisions.

ramsfan1975 is offline Registered User

wasnt arch a 3rd round pick? not a first?

Adam Archuleta was the 20th overall pick in the 2001 draft.

moklerman is offline Registered User

...and where did he go to college? Arizona State! Hmmm, as a stand alone event you wouldn't think anything of it, but is it possible that the Rams and their affinity for all things Arizona could have been related to drafting him so highly? Was the media over-hyping him to the fans or were the Rams hyping him to us?

I like Archuleta but I didn't even think about him being a first round pick all these years. That's a huge waste! You have to draft value with early round picks. Even if Arch had become a good/great safety, there wouldn't be any value to the pick since he was taken so high.

I'm with Tex on this one, I like Arch and I'll pull for him but he hasn't ever been a complete safety and overall a bust as a #1 pick. Another bad draft selection by the Rams is not what I wanted to realize today. "But there's always next year..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast