general counsel is offline Registered User

Archuletta, can he still tackle?

Maybe, maybe not, time will tell. Lets not jump to conclusions on the basis of archuleta getting faked out of his jock by tomlinson on his chance to make a nice, solid open field tackle. LT is potentially the premier back in the nfl and he made a nice move and then turned on the jets. Pretty impressive burst of speed LT put on, i dont know how many guys in the nfl make that play one on one. In his heyday, the odds of bringing down faulk in that much open field were very very limited indeed. That being said, arch sure didnt look like john lynch on that play.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

viper is offline Registered User

Re: Archuletta, can he still tackle?

Actually, Faulk did pretty much the same thing to two guys in the Chargers game. He slowed way down, for what looked like a loss, and then made a move and faked them out of their shoes for a nice gain. Marshall still has something in the tank.

As far as Archuletta goes, he did fall victim to the same kind of move, only at high speed. I'd have to give that one to LT. Although, I do recall Arch did miss another tackle I thought he should have made. Basically, he flew by with an arm tackle down low. Hopefully, he can bounce back and return to form. I'd prefer to see him at SS than FS, however.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

That being said, arch sure didnt look like john lynch on that play
    I disagree. John Lynch wouldn't have made that play either.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I disagree. John Lynch wouldn't have made that play either.
    Your generosity knows no bounds. As far as expectations go, the comparison I preferred to make a couple of years ago was Arch playing up to the level of Ronnie Lott. Lynch might not have made the play, but Lott would have. So should a pro-bowl caliber wannabe. Players juke, belt buckles don't. Arch may have been a gamer last year playing through the injury, but I'm not convinced he is an asset in the secondary any longer. As with everything else though I suppose, time will tell.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I hope Archuletta doesn't have any concerns about really putting his back to the test when he's out on the field. He looks a bit tentative at times. We need this guy completely healthy with no fear of throwing his body into the fray. I've got to believe his play will have a huge impact on the effectiveness of the D.

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    I hope Archuletta doesn't have any concerns about really putting his back to the test when he's out on the field. He looks a bit tentative at times. We need this guy completely healthy with no fear of throwing his body into the fray. I've got to believe his play will have a huge impact on the effectiveness of the D.
    :up:

I would hate to think he is done. I would also hate to think he is saving it for "when it counts". He needs to lay the wood to someone and then get up and see how it feels. And he needs to do it now, not when the team depends on him. The reason he is/was a leader on this D is due to respect earned. That will only last so long if he doesn't continue to earn it.

That being said, LT is one of the best in the league at this point. Missing him once doesn't bother me.
    This space for rent...

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Good Tackling Is A Lost Art In The Nfl, Its All About The Big Hit And Making Nfl Primetime And Mondays Jacked Up Segment,same Thing With Nba And Dunks,these Guys Try To Lay Someone Out And End Up Missing What Could Have Been A Reguler Tackle For No Gain.

rampete is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey
    :up:

I would hate to think he is done. I would also hate to think he is saving it for "when it counts". He needs to lay the wood to someone and then get up and see how it feels. And he needs to do it now, not when the team depends on him. The reason he is/was a leader on this D is due to respect earned. That will only last so long if he doesn't continue to earn it.

That being said, LT is one of the best in the league at this point. Missing him once doesn't bother me.
    when WAS the last time archuleta "layed the wood" on anyone?

the best shot/psuedo tackle i ever saw archuleta lay was on his arizona state buddy todd heap about two seasons ago...

thoey is offline Registered User

Well, seeing how he played hurt all last year, you are probably right...

:smoke:
    This space for rent...