ramhard is offline Registered User

Areas of 'overachieving' for Rams - none

I keep reading about other teams getting unexpected and better than expected results from their units or individuals. So I sat down and thought what aspect of the Rams EXCEEDED or SURPRISED on the positive side.

First I immediately eliminated anything to do with special teams - horrible for the last 3 years - only Wilkins is good and he is as expected.

Then I went to the D. Dline underperformed, Linebackers from Duncan on underperformed, Dbacks - safeties underperformed - glimpses of hope from Bartell (but as a 2nd round choice you should see glimpses)..others - none. Little has underperformed (whether due to scheme, off-field, or injuries), Arch - the same, Hargrove - nope, Pickett - solid but still not unexpected for a 1st round pick in his third year. The only possible surprise is Pisa and I hate to say he is what you would expect a draft choice with his experience to be - a solid starting linebacker... not a pro bowler and not a dud but solid. So no surprises there.

Then I went to where I thought I'd find a ton. The offense. First the receivers - as you would expect - the only possible surprise is Curtis and maybe Bruce's ability to continue to play at a high level. Granted. TE - ugghhh. RB - solid from Jackson - but not the consistency you'd expect from a 2nd year back that was the first drafted (and don't give me all of that he's inexperienced crap - running back is the one position where a player can step in immediately and have a big impact - see the current rookie Cadillac for reference). Not a bust, but not overachieving in any standpoint.
    Oline - playing as expected or below due to lots of injuries. The only player above expectations might be Barron stepping in and playing well - but also believe the Khalif Barnes and Jamaal Brown are starting and playing well also. So he's a maybe. QB - Bulger is Bulger no step up or down - Fitz ... might be a slight surprise (but also makes you beg the question that why didn't the Rams have a productive vet like Brad Johnson in the wings rather than Martin and the 7th round rook).

So all in all, I was surprised at how little over the last 3 years has developed beyond expectations. Other than potentially Curtis, we've had no one come from out of the blue to be a star, and no one has really overperformed and developed in a way to give a team a jumpstart of value at a position.

DXD
    DXD is offline Registered User

Re: Areas of 'overachieving' for Rams - none

Brandon Green - a guy who we took from some other team's practice squad is now a productive back-up

Claude Terrell - a 2nd day choice who has played his way into the starting lineup

Mike Furrey - a converted WR who is not only starting, but is leading the team with 5 turnover recoveries

Bryan Barker - a 41 year old punter who's currently averaging 43.5 ypp, which is his personal best since his career high 7 years ago.
    Just triangles and a cross.

DXD, I see your points but have to disagree. I don't think productive backup is quite what I was shooting for. Of the four you mention, three (DE, FS, and P) are all areas people on this board would agree that the Rams need to upgrade. I give you Terrell, but only because I haven't seen enough games to see if the poor running game is due to people crowding the box or from poor blocking. I also don't use starting as the metric - you can start due to injuries or because everyone else stinks. I mean someone is either performing at a starting level above and beyond what you would expect given the draft or FA signing position, OR someone that has surprisingly become a starter that you feel secure in the position for the future.

btw when you start having a punter as you exhibit A for impact positions - unless its Ray Guy - its probably a sign that the rest of your team ain't so good.

Quote Originally Posted by DXD
    Brandon Green - a guy who we took from some other team's practice squad is now a productive back-up

Claude Terrell - a 2nd day choice who has played his way into the starting lineup

Mike Furrey - a converted WR who is not only starting, but is leading the team with 5 turnover recoveries

Bryan Barker - a 41 year old punter who's currently averaging 43.5 ypp, which is his personal best since his career high 7 years ago.

DXD

So I sat down and thought what aspect of the Rams EXCEEDED or SURPRISED on the positive side.
    This is all I was doing. I'd say each of the 4 players I mentioned was indeed a surprise. Who expects a guy cut from a practice squad to be one sack from the team lead? Who expects a 4th round rookie to be the best interior lineman we have? Who expects a WR to lead the team in defensive turnovers? Who expects a 41 year old punter to have his best season in 7 years?

All four of those guys would fall under the category of SURPRISE, if you ask me.
    btw when you start having a punter as you exhibit A for impact positions - unless its Ray Guy - its probably a sign that the rest of your team ain't so good.
    The question wasn't about impact players, it was who has played above expectations.

The problem is your surprises are due to how bad the team is - one sack from the team lead due to lack of sacks, best interior lineman (i don't agree with that statement) on a team with no interior push, lead the team in defensive turnovers on a team that doesn't get many turnovers?

I get your point, but I was talking about people performing above what you would expect for the talent level at the onset - not above the poor level of performance set by this team. The ultimate issue was that to build a team you need to have some players who play above expected level and become stars (e.g. Fletcher of old), and for your high priced talent to play at that level (e.g. Marshall of old, Holt, Bruce, Bulger).
    I don't see the Rams getting much of that...maybe I'm just grumpy today.

Quote Originally Posted by DXD
    This is all I was doing. I'd say each of the 4 players I mentioned was indeed a surprise. Who expects a guy cut from a practice squad to be one sack from the team lead? Who expects a 4th round rookie to be the best interior lineman we have? Who expects a WR to lead the team in defensive turnovers? Who expects a 41 year old punter to have his best season in 7 years?

All four of those guys would fall under the category of SURPRISE, if you ask me. The question wasn't about impact players, it was who has played above expectations.

DXD

The ultimate issue was that to build a team you need to have some players who play above expected level and become stars
    Well, that is a separate issue all together. The proverbial "something for nothing" player like Fletcher or Warner don't come around that often.

But I stand by my observation that Terrell, Furrey, Green, and Barker are all playing better than EXPECTED.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I agree with DXD, and here's one more: Kevin Curtis. I think as the third WR on the team he's more than overachieved.