Arizona QB Kolb might not play vs. Rams

From news services
Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Arizona quarterback Kevin Kolb had his right foot in a walking boot on Monday to protect a turf toe injury and said he had "no idea" whether he will be able to play in next week's home game against the Rams. He was injured early in Sunday's 30-27 loss at Baltimore but stayed in the game.

"I did some things to help with the pain a little bit," he said. "Then (I) just tried to gut it out and try to come up with a victory."

If Kolb can't play, second-year pro John Skelton probably will start. Skelton started four games late last season.

A turf toe occurs when the toe is jammed severely, stretching the ligaments.

Kolb said he has had the injury before but not "near this severe."

Kolb said his initial plans are to work to reduce the swelling and pain, "then as the week goes on give it more and more movement and see what my body allows me to do."

Consecutive games against two of the best defenses in the NFL, Pittsburgh and Baltimore, has left Arizona's offense a bit battered. Rookie Anthony Sherman, the team's only fullback, has turf toe on his left foot. Running back Beanie Wells is playing with a sore knee.

Kolb has been sacked 24 time in seven games. The pressure he faced Sunday was his most severe yet. Of course, since it was Baltimore, that shouldn't be surprising.

After Sunday's game, Arizona plays three in a row on the road —where it has lost 11 straight dating to the 2010 season opener in St. Louis.