RamWraith is offline Registered User

Armey wants long term deal

Rams | Armey Seeking Extension? - from www.KFFL.com
    Wed, 18 May 2005 19:09:28 -0700

John Czarnecki, of Sports Weekly, reports for USAToday.com, St. Louis Rams general manager Charley Armey is reportedly seeking a five-year contract extension from the Rams. The team is unlikely to grant his request.

Re: Armey wants long term deal

I have read this a few times and waited to see if there had been any other reports on this. Nothing as yet.

If true, its a puzzle.

maineram is offline Registered User

I say give him the deal. Realistically, how long is Martz going to be the coach of the Rams ? How long is Shaw going to be closely involved with the management team ? Zigmunt is not under contract currently, so what will they do with him ? Too many questions at the front office position to be dumping the guy that really helped get the team to where it is right now. He's a proven commodity, clearly has an eye for talent, and should be given more authority in the organization not being let go/not signed.
    I guess I'm just in favor of the organization does all front office stuff, and The Coach coaches.
    We're gonna regret letting him jump ship. This could be the biggest free agent loss since Fletcher.
    Maybe McClutheon will step right in, but he's unproven in the Armey capacity. Is right now a good time ?

Maineram - :ramlogo:
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

general counsel Guest

I wish we could keep him maineram, but money isnt the real issue here, its job responsibility. As long as martz has final personnel say, i dont see how charley stays and i dont see how we can possibly take the personnel decisions away from martz at this point, that is in his contract.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Curly Horns is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    I wish we could keep him maineram, but money isnt the real issue here, its job responsibility. As long as martz has final personnel say, i dont see how charley stays and i dont see how we can possibly take the personnel decisions away from martz at this point, that is in his contract.
    Hmmm....gc, that does not make sense to me. Maybe I'm not looking at it in the same perspective, but if Armey wants a five-year deal, then it would seem he is happy with the status quo. Of course all of the details of what he wants in the five-year deal are not disclosed here. However, why would he seek a deal if he knew that he was not going to get anymore responsibility?

:ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Hmmm....gc, that does not make sense to me. Maybe I'm not looking at it in the same perspective, but if Armey wants a five-year deal, then it would seem he is happy with the status quo. Of course all of the details of what he wants in the five-year deal are not disclosed here. However, why would he seek a deal if he knew that he was not going to get anymore responsibility?

:ramlogo:
    Yea, I was thinking that as well. If he is seaking a 5 year deal, then he must be happy? So why all the talk of him being unhappy mmmmmm?

Absolutely money is not the issue, but organization stability is. Let's say Martz stays with his record and the Rams have a pretty good year this, then next year is another, "down year". Mart is let go, and Armey is gone also. Sign him now to the five year deal, he's still working with Martz on personell and if Martz doesn't make it through the next five years, we won't miss a beat in the GM slash personell department. Shaw is no longer with the team, Zygmunt takes on Shaws duties, and Armey is the official GM.
    Change is going to come at some point in the next two years, unless another Superbowl is in the books. We should keep Armey.

general counsel Guest

Couple of possibilities. First off, let me say that if this is purely a matter of money, ie charley is prepared to stay in his currently reduced role, i think we should pay him and keep him for all the reasons that maineram stated. It is cheap insurance to preserve continuity in the front office.

The key to me is that the devil is in the details. we read that he wants a 5 year deal, but not what is in the proposal. IE, what are his duties.

Another possibility. he is trying to establish the league wide expectations for what he is going to want somewhere else.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Yes GC, give me some job security, or I'm walking. Has there been some talks with Shaw of late ?? Two of the top three currently without a contract. Is it sh*t or get off the pot time for Shaw ?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The blurb came from a report from John Czarnecki. He recently updated the report as follows:

Both the Saints and Rams won't be making all the personnel department changes that we suspected last week. The Rams will do some internal reshuffling and probably give GM Charley Armey a one-year extension

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    Yea, I was thinking that as well. If he is seaking a 5 year deal, then he must be happy? So why all the talk of him being unhappy mmmmmm?
    My take on this. If he was happy in STL and wanted a five year deal, and we are wanting him to stay, why are we hearing about it through the media? Why not from the front office as they offer him the deal.

To me, this comment, coming from him through the media, is trying to leverage the team to come to what he wants or it is preparing the excuses for when he leaves...
    This space for rent...