MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Around the Horns ..

Around the Horns
    Updates the St. Louis Rams from the locker room, training camp, Rams Park and the field.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    « Klopfenstein, Pittman earn kudos ..
    Linehan’s message: have fun, but be ready to work hard

Considerable soul-searching in the wake of last season’s 3-13 debacle has led Scott Linehan to several adjustments in his thinking as he prepares for his fourth season as the Rams’ head coach. Among them is a desire for his players to regain their joy for the game.”Most teams that win understand the chemistry that goes with success,” he explained recently. “You’ve got to create a healthy, competitive atmosphere, but one where people feel good about coming to work every day and the challenges that go with it. But also enjoy. Just because this is a profession at this level doesn’t mean it’s not OK to love it and enjoy it. . . .

“When you have a down year, there’s a tendency maybe subconsciously to look at it as a job as opposed to your love or your passion. My biggest goal personally was, I wanted them to look at this game for what it is, a game. I realize it’s a tough business and all that stuff, but I want them to focus on themselves and why they picked up a football when they were little. I just wanted it to be that way. Hopefully that’s rubbing off.”

Still, Linehan isn’t running some kind of country club. The practices at the spring minicamp and during the OTAs that followed were noticeably more demanding. “I don’t know if it’s harder; I think we’re just asking more out of them, demanding more little things that are done right,” he said. “It doesn’t mean that they weren’t demanded before. I just think there’s just so much more consistent level of coaching. The credibility of the coaches doing it, and the players accepting that coaching. . . .

“When you’re getting coached hard every down, it’s tougher. You feel much more on edge, and you know you’re going to be held accountable. I think it’s a standard that has to be set, and I think we’ve done that.

“The players have to accept that and give us permission to coach them hard. Because once you accept it, you want to be coached and all you’re going to do is improve. And I think our players have done that.”

He stressed that from the get-go, training camp will complement that tone. “Our first day of practice, we’re going to be in full pads and we’re going to be hitting right away,” Linehan said. “It’s not like we’re going to train them for two weeks and try to get them back in shape. You’ve got to be ready to go.”

Players are to report to Concordia University in Mequon, Wis., on July 24. Practices start the next day.

Rookie wide receivers Donnie Avery, a second-round draftee, and Keenan Burton, a fourth-round pick, opened eyes during the spring drills. “I’ve never seen two young guys that are as hungry to be as good as they can be but also have the talent to go with it,” Linehan said. “Neither one of them does anything but eat, drink, breathe, sleep football.”

“Irrelevant Week” festivities are under way in Newport Beach, Calif., and Rams rookie linebacker David Vobora is the guest of honor. Vobora was dubbed “Mr. Irrelevant” because he was the last player — No. 252 — taken in the draft this past April, a tradition since 1976.

On Monday, Vobora received the annual “showering of gifts.” On Wednesday, he’ll be presented Lowsman Trophy, a spoof on the Heisman Trophy.

All for now…

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    fourth season as the Rams’ head coach
    Did I miss something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Linehan
    I want them to focus on themselves
    Steven Jackson: "I'm waaaay ahead of ya, Coach."
    Last edited by HUbison; -07-02-2008 at 01:47 PM.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Around the Horns ..

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Did I miss something? Steven Jackson: "I'm waaaay ahead of ya, Coach."
    Last year was such a l-o-n-g year that Scotty thinks he's in his 4th year.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

That's the first i've heard any post draft evaluation on Avery and Burton. Glad to hear they're hungry to excel.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I'm excited to see what Avery and Burton bring to the table. Hopefully they will be our new franchise receivers.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I'm excited to see what Avery and Burton bring to the table. Hopefully they will be our new franchise receivers.
    Let's hope so. On paper, they look an ideal pairing: the pace of Avery as a deep threat and the size of Burton as our possession receiver. They could go a long way if their motivation is as good as the article makes out.