AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

AR's Media Glower Rankings - 9/1/05 Update

AvengerRam's
    Media Glower Rankings

1) Bernie Miklasz: We all knew this day would come, when Bernie would top this list. He was relatively quiet for a while, but now has resumed his policy of reporting about the Rams from a "I know something you don't know - but I'm not telling what it is" standpoint. For months, he's hinted at trouble in the front office, but he has yet to give one fact. If its newsworthy, give us the facts. If its not, or if you can't give the facts for some other reason, don't say anything about it. Meanwhile, I've yet to see BM provide any actual news about the team itself. He should stick to baseball.

2) Paul Zimmerman: I used to like "Dr. Z" when I was a kid, but his columns now seem to be consistent with the unstructured rumblings of a well-past-his-prime tenured college professor. Maybe its time to put him out to pasture.

3) Michael Irvin: Have I handled Irvin with kid gloves until now...? Is it because he's a UM guy....? Well, no more. His presence on ESPN is an insult to fans. He shows no insight, other than to the extent that he gives voice to the money first mentality of the T.O.'s of the world. Not to mention that the guy's past is... shall we say... less than admirable.

4) Mark Schlereth: The problem with Schlereth is that he should, at the most, be a local broadcaster in Denver. As a national commentator, he comes accross as a misplaced Bronco homer with little of interest to say otherwise.

5) Stuart Scott: Surest way to rise to fame - use lots of quirky, juvenile catch phrases when you speak. Surest way to get old and annoying quickly - ditto.

6) Stephen A. Smith: His mere voice causes an involuntary twitch in my channel-changing finger. Maybe its a generational thing, but I just don't get the appeal of this guy.

7) Sean Salisbury: Well, he picked the Rams to win their division, so I'm giving him a break on this ranking. But he's still a knucklehead.

8) Pete Prisco: Its not his writing style or subject matter that gets me, its just that the guy is so wrong, so often, that it amazes me that he has a job at a national sports site. His latest - picking the Raiders to win the AFC West, primarily because of Randy Moss. I guess he's never noticed that (1) Randy Moss didn't win many division titles with Minnesota, and (2) you actually need a defense to win in this league.

9) John Clayton: Did you see his piece on offensive efficiency? I think the guy tries too hard to be the "Professor" (he does, however, look like a thin Professor Honeydew). He goes through this whole analysis using third down efficiency, turnover ratios and other somewhat obscure stats to come up with a theory. How about just measuring how often an offense scores points?

10) Mel Kiper: Every time I hear him on ESPN radio, I expect a caller to say "hey Mel... remember that guy you said was the steal of the draft? He just got cut!" or "hey Mel, how about that Pro Bowl player you said was a reach?" Why doesn't that happen? (guess they screen their calls)

Side note: John Hadley, who was fired from his radio gig because of his relationship with the Rams, is no longer eligible for the list!
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -09-06-2005 at 06:01 PM.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Re: AR's Media Glower Rankings - 9/1/05 Update

6) Stephen A. Smith: His mere voice causes an involuntary twitch in my channel-changing finger. Maybe its a generational thing, but I just don't get the appeal of this guy.

HUH? A "generational thing"? Your info says youre still in your 30s....so you think this guy is from another GENERATION? He's a TEEN or a SENIOR CITIZEN? Im pretty sure hes ALSO in his 30s...you know...same age as YOU! I dont think the Philly Inquirer employs KIDS as sports writers...not exactly an ENTRY LEVEL newspaper gig...nor is having your own SHOW on ESPN!! 'Generational'...umm...ok.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

His age is not relevant. The way he speaks is clearly geared toward a younger audience than a 37 year old like myself. The same could be said about Jim Rome, who is older than I am, I believe.

If you like him, that's fine. When I hear him talk, I think I'm listening to a High School kid (again, ditto for Rome, but thankfully none of our local sports stations here carry his show anymore).

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

No, it's not a generational thing Av....I can't stand the New England homer. This guy is a basketball guy commenting on football, it don't make any sense. Plus he is annoying and he can't back up any of his points, they are that way cause he says they are and that is just annoying to me. I can't even stand him commenting on basketball, when I see his commercials, or even him on TV, I immediately change the channel. I guess it's obvious that I don't like that show...Quite Frankly.

Clayton is another one...he is right about 5% of the time. Whatever he says you can pretty much guess that the opposite is going to come true. But I am surprised to find him on this list. He has been pumping the Rams up for some time and I thought that might earn him a pass in your guys books. At least y'all see journalism the same as we do..even if you do root for the wrong football team.

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.