throwback week

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

AR's UPDATED Media Glower Rankings (8/12/05)

Okay, time for an update:

AvengerRam's
    Media Glower Rankings

1) The ESPN Network: More than any individual, the biggest cause of recent glowering is the ESPN Network's need to make the whole Terrell Owens thing a media event. Its the lead story on SportsCenter, the subject of PTI and the only thing discussed on Football Tonight. Maybe if you'd give him less attention, T.O. would actually start acting like an adult.

2) Sean Salisbury: Its going to be hard to knock him down very far on the list. I've heard more intelligent comments from 5 year olds on the playground. A complete ignoramus.

3) Paul Zimmerman: Working his way up the chart quickly, Dr.Z has really raised my ire with his article on future Hall of Famers. He placed Hines Ward in the future HOF category, while considering Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt marginal. Then he left off Orlando Pace entirely and, upon being questioned, stated that Pace is "decent" and "functional." Funny how if you ask any coach, they will tell you he's one of the top 3 OTs in the game, but a guy like Zimmerman, who has a HOF vote, gets to say Pace is unworthy. I guess he failed to notice that Pace anchored the O line of the best offense the league has seen in decades.

4) Bernie Miklasz: Given how little involvement he has had in Rams coverage during training camp, I suspect that rumors that Martz is tired of BM may be true. No big loss, that's for sure.

5) Chris Berman: His interview of T.O. and Drew Rosenhaus was about as hard-hitting as an interview of Attilla the Hun by Rush Limbaugh. And what was Rosenhaus doing there during the interview?

6) John Hadley: He, like Bernie, has been fairly quiet lately. Perhaps he is beginning to realize that his dual role as Ram employee/journalist is untenable.

7) Jim Rome: Haven't heard much from him, but whatever he's talking about, I'm sure its "EPIC!!!" and "AWESOME!!!"

8) Merrill Hoge: He still hates the Rams, and I still hate him.

9) Mark Schlereth: How did this guy get a network job? He talks like a big dumb ox who spent years banging his head against hard objects... which of course, is exactly what he is.

10) Stephen A. Smith: He must have naked photos of someone really high up at ESPN.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -08-16-2005 at 10:22 AM.

talkstoangels61 Guest

Re: AR's UPDATED Media Glower Rankings (8/12/05)

That sums it up pretty much in a nut shell!.................I agree 100%

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Stephen A Smith? I really like the guy. I like a reporter who tells it like he thinks it is and dosen't care if someone likes him or not.

Schlereth? He's about the only one on ESPN I can listen to besides Mort and John Clayton.

Bernie? Remember folks, St. Louis is first and foremost a baseball town. The Cardinals are running away with the NL Central and the Redbirds are playing the MUCH VEHEMENTLY HATED cubbies this weekend.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

1) The ESPN Network: More than any individual, the biggest cause of recent glowering is the ESPN Network's need to make the whole Terrell Owens thing a media event. Its the lead story on SportsCenter, the subject of PTI and the only thing discussed on Football Tonight. Maybe if you'd give him less attention, T.O. would actually start acting like an adult.
    Amen to that.
    To make it worse, I've been listening to KFNS on-line to fill my Ram news fix, and what are they talking about? You guessed it.:tongue:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    5) Chris Berman: His interview of T.O. and Drew Rosenhaus was about as hard-hitting as an interview of Attilla the Hun by Rush Limbaugh. And what was Rosenhaus doing there during the interview?
    I heard this interview was basically a TO/Rosenhaus press conference. Leave it to Berman to be spineless.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Considering the smug 'know it all' nature of this nonsense I would, at the very least, expect you to know the guy's name is MERRIL HOGE...NOT HODGES. The man is on NFL MATCHUP...a once weekly (1/2 hour) show where they break down game film and match ups...not exactly someone in the media forefront. He HATES the Rams?? You made the same claim about Tom Jackson. Pure baseless BS! Truth of the matter is they essentially dont RESPECT the (current) COACHING of the Rams.

Face it...the national media IN GENERAL doesnt seem to like or RESPECT the fool who coaches the Rams...a stance that can easily be validated...UNLIKE your statement about them 'HATING' the team in general. The Rams simply arent taken very seriously based on the bumbling/nonsensical game management which has been on display for all to see since ol Rainy took over. Last years 'issues' seemed to be a bit less glaring...hopefully things will improve yet again this season.

I corrected the misspelling of Hoge's name, but I suspect that your oddly angry response was based upon more than that careless error on my part.

For the record, the reason I'm so hard on sports media is that I believe that the only way to improve its quality (which is horrid overall) is for the target audience to stand up and say - we've had enough of this superficial crap! I'm just doing my small part.

If you're satisfied with the quality of reporting, great. This is a forum topic (i.e. one for discussion) after all.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Stephen A Smith? I really like the guy. I like a reporter who tells it like he thinks it is and dosen't care if someone likes him or not.
    Nothing wrong with telling it like he thinks it is Tx, but he YELLS it like he thinks it is. He constantly yells, especially his opinions, as if yelling makes his points more valid and substantial. With his self-rightious attitude, he and Jim Rome could have some great pissing matches.

Rudy Guest

Okay, time for an update:

AvengerRam's
    Media Glower Rankings

2) Sean Salisbury: Its going to be hard to knock him down very far on the list. I've heard more intelligent comments from 5 year olds on the playground. A complete ignoramus.

3) Paul Zimmerman: Working his way up the chart quickly, Dr.Z has really raised my ire with his article on future Hall of Famers. He placed Hines Ward in the future HOF category, while considering Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt marginal. Then he left off Orlando Pace entirely and, upon being questioned, stated that Pace is "decent" and "functional." Funny how if you ask any coach, they will tell you he's one of the top 3 OTs in the game, but a guy like Zimmerman, who has a HOF vote, gets to say Pace is unworthy. I guess he failed to notice that Pace anchored the O line of the best offense the league has seen in decades.

Rant on:

These are Issac Bruce's career stats as of the moment.

Year Team G REC YDS AVG

1994 STL 12 21 272 13.0
    1995 STL 16 119 1781 15.0
    1996 STL 16 84 1338 15.9
    1997 STL 12 56 815 14.6
    1998 STL 5 32 457 14.3
    1999 STL 16 77 1165 15.1
    2000 STL 16 87 1471 16.9
    2001 STL 16 64 1106 17.3
    2002 STL 16 79 1075 13.6
    2003 STL 15 69 981 14.2
    2004 STL 16 89 1292 14.5
    --------------------------------------------
    Career 156 777 11753 15.1 With 74 TD's

These are Hall Of Famer Lynn Swann's

Year Team G REC YDS AVG

1974 Pittsburgh 12 11 208 18.9
    1975 Pittsburgh 14 49 781 15.9
    1976 Pittsburgh 12 28 516 18.4
    1977 Pittsburgh 14 50 789 15.8
    1978 Pittsburgh 16 61 880 14.4
    1979 Pittsburgh 13 41 808 19.7
    1980 Pittsburgh 13 44 710 16.1
    1981 Pittsburgh 13 34 505 14.9
    1982 Pittsburgh 9 18 265 14.7

Career 116 336 5462 16.3 with 51 TD's

Swann never even sniffed 1000 yards in a season, and Bruce has AVERAGED 1000 yards a year.

Not only that but Bruce has only failed to catch 50+ passes in a season twice, while Swann only caught 50 + passes in a season twice.

I wonder if Clayton, Salisbury, and Zimmerman believe that Swann belongs in the Hall Of Fame?

Bottom line is that Clayton, Salisbury, and Zimmerman are entitled to their subjective opinions, even though the facts prove that that they have their heads up their bylines on this issue. The public knows they're fools.

(BTW… anybody else think of Mr Peabody and Sherman when glancing at Clayton?)

As far as Salisbury goes, he's still bitter that Tony Banks and Steve Walsh have had more productive NFL careers than he did.

It pains me when guys like Zimmerman actually have an HOF vote and they prove that they should be at best, handing you your parking receipt before the game, or better yet, handing you a paper towel as you finish leaving the bathroom just before the start of the second half.

Maybe SI can send Dr Z out to cover the women's pro beach volleyball circuit instead of the NFL, and get someone with a little more common sense to start voting for important lifetime achievement honors.

Sheesh, and you wonder why certain sports media types get hammered by the public at times on these types of listserves.

Even more interesting:

Without looking it up, can you take a guess at who is #5 on the all time NFL reception yardage list ahead of the likes of HOF'ers Steve Largent, Charlie Joiner, and HOF finalist Art Monk?

If you said Henry Ellard, you're correct.

5. Henry Ellard 13,777
    6. Andre Reed 13,198
    7. Steve Largent 13,089
    8. Irving Fryar 12,785
    9. Art Monk 12,721
    10. Charlie Joiner 12,146

That begs the question…

When's the last time you heard any sort of push for Henry for the HOF? I mean, He's 5th ALL TIME in reception yardage folks!

I guess if he played with a diamond the size of Anna Nicole's cleavage in his ear, or ran over a meter maid or phoned home or broke out a sharpie for his posse after a TD, then we might have the start of an exploratory committee for Henry, but alas as has Isaac, he simply played the game instead of treating it as their own personal circus.

Rant over:

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

[not to sound like Jim "Chris" Rome] Nice rant, Rudy. Good to see you're still hanging around the Clan.

That's a hilarious list, Avenger. I'd personally take Screamin A right off the list [love the guy] and I don't mind listening to Mark Schlereth. Put Tom Jackson up there somewhere. He's much more of a dumb ox than Schlereth.

They guy who is making a major push to be on the next list is Michael Irvin.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Can't go wrong with having a crackhead [with flashy suits to distract us from stupidity] on the list.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Why does the national media hate the Rams so much? Is it Martz, the guy does it his way and not the way some old head coaches would approach it. He burns time out so what, they the media acts like he’s clueless, based on the use of time outs. He has a one of the best winning percentage for an active coach, but all they can say is he’s mad Mike. We are one of the better teams, in this decade, but still not much props for or team or head coach.

Rudy Guest

They guy who is making a major push to be on the next list is Michael Irvin.
    Can't forget Ol' P (ush) O (ff) himself.

Can you imagine a 3-way debate between Irvin, Deion, and Steven A Smith? It'd be like trying to decipher esperanto at 74 rpm while on meth.

They'd all pass out because they'd suck all the oxygen out of the room like the airlock on the Enterprise.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH >>> Woosh!