Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    .ramfan. is offline Registered User

Art Valero on his way to St. Louis?

This was taken off the PD forum...

STLtoday.com: Sports - Forums - Bernie's Pressbox - Topic - Bernie - Any words on Rams hiring Art Valero?

"It is all over the Tampa radio and news stations that Bucs RB Coach Art Valero is on his way to the St. Louis Rams. Him and Linehan have a history together. Art Valero is thought of very highly here in Tampa - especially by players and the media. Rumors floating around here that many Bucs assistant coaches arent going to be back."

If you follow the link provided, Bernie posted:

"Been hearing stuff ...

Jim Thomas has been on it...

--B"

Take it for what it's worth. It should be noted that the post does not indicate that he would fill the OC position, however; Wayne Moses is still employed and unless we hear of his termination, Valero may just be the guy to succeed Olson.

As always.....

GO RAMS!!!

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: Art Valero on his way to St. Louis?

Quote Originally Posted by .ramfan. View Post
    This was taken off the PD forum...

STLtoday.com: Sports - Forums - Bernie's Pressbox - Topic - Bernie - Any words on Rams hiring Art Valero?

"It is all over the Tampa radio and news stations that Bucs RB Coach Art Valero is on his way to the St. Louis Rams. Him and Linehan have a history together. Art Valero is thought of very highly here in Tampa - especially by players and the media. Rumors floating around here that many Bucs assistant coaches arent going to be back."

If you follow the link provided, Bernie posted:

"Been hearing stuff ...

Jim Thomas has been on it...

--B"

Take it for what it's worth. It should be noted that the post does not indicate that he would fill the OC position, however; Wayne Moses is still employed and unless we hear of his termination, Valero may just be the guy to succeed Olson.
    Yeah why not, lets not hire someone qualified lets hire another buddy. This figures like everyone else has been saying who the hell wants to come here with a lame duck coach except for lame duck coaches friends?
    Just Fix It

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Hmmm....Linehan's buddy? I have a bad feeling about this...

But I cant completely criticize him yet...I dunno how our offensive coordinator wouldve done if we wouldve stayed healthy you know? we can only HOPE for the best...

PHAT-MONEY Guest

There all bums... I say.. throw the bums in Jail!!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

y this is crazy y?!?!?!?!?!?! Linny's Friends are big no no's i still feel the sting of Richard Owens

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Yeah why not, lets not hire someone qualified lets hire another buddy. This figures like everyone else has been saying who the hell wants to come here with a lame duck coach except for lame duck coaches friends?
    I can't see what difference it makes at this point. It is highly unlikely we can get a "name' guy with a lame duck FO and a lame duck HC. I don't see us doing much of anything next year anyway, so may as well let Linny hire all his "buds" and get it over with, that way we can dump all of em at the end of the 2008 season ...:x

Drew is offline Registered User

just goes to show why hiring a HC with no experience under his belt is a bad idea...even if we had a veteran HC that sucked at his role as much as linny,least he would have contacts with at least some pedigree!

he`s the guy who turned "cadillac" into a spluttering pontiac right? wtf:x

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I can't see what difference it makes at this point. It is highly unlikely we can get a "name' guy with a lame duck FO and a lame duck HC. I don't see us doing much of anything next year anyway, so may as well let Linny hire all his "buds" and get it over with, that way we can dump all of em at the end of the 2008 season ...:x

i guess youre right...if we get a whole group of bad coaches, we can just fire them all. that way we can have a new slate...

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Valero Headed To St. Louis?
    By: Jim Flynn
    January 9, 2008 @ 7:00pm

Several Tampa Bay assistant coaches are in the process of exploring their options as their contracts are set to expire at the end of the month.

That includes Buccaneers assistant head coach/running backs coach Art Valero, who was recently granted permission to interview with the St. Louis Rams.

Valero, who originally was hired by Bucs head coach Jon Gruden in 2002, is believed to be interviewing for St. Louis' vacant offensive line coach position, which became open when the Rams fired Paul Boudreau on Jan. 7.

Rams head coach Scott Linehan attempted to interview Valero for a job in St. Louis last year, but the Buccaneers denied the interview request, citing the fact that he still was under contract with Tampa Bay.

After spending his first two seasons in Tampa Bay as the tight ends coach, Valero was moved to running backs coach to replace Kirby Wilson, who was fired after the 2003 season ended.

In 2006, Valero was promoted to assistant head coach, a title he would later share with defensive line coach Larry Coyer, who was hired by the Bucs during the 2007 offseason.

Valero helped former first-round draft pick Cadillac Williams earn NFL Rookie of the Year honors when he rushed for 1,178 yards in 2005. He also played an integral role in third-string RB Earnest Graham's success last season.

A former undrafted free agent out of Florida, Graham rushed for 898 yards (4.0 avg.) and 10 touchdowns and caught 49 passes for 324 yards while playing in place of Williams and Michael Pittman, both of who suffered injuries. As a result of Graham's success, Tampa Bay's ground attack finished the 2007 season ranked 11th overall, which was the highest the Bucs' running game has ever ranked under Gruden.

In addition to Valero, several Bucs assistant coaches, including defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, quarterbacks coach Paul Hackett, offensive line coach/offensive coordinator Bill Muir, wide receivers coach Richard Mann, special teams coach Richard Bisaccia and assistant defensive backs coach Jimmy Lake, are believed to have contracts that are set to expire at the end of the month.

Tampa Bay is in the process of talking to those coaches and likely will fill out its coaching staff before Senior Bowl, which begins on Jan. 21.

Buccaneers general manager Bruce Allen could shed more light on the current state of Tampa Bay's coaching staff when he holds a press conference at One Buccaneer Place at 12:00 p.m. on Thursday.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Drew is offline Registered User

i guess O-line coach aint as destructive as OC altho it is always the spring board of the entire offense...but im seeing us replacing someone who had a decent resume with someone who dont seem to have a resume as O-line coach atall!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Yeah why not, lets not hire someone qualified lets hire another buddy.
    I'm sure our resident Floridian (Av) can give us his opinion on Valero, but the guy was on a playoff staff this year and has a Super Bowl ring from the '02 Buccaneers. I'm sure he played a part in helping the Bucs maintain a solid running game this year with undrafted free agent Earnest Graham after losing Cadallac Williams and Michael Pittman. But you assume he's not qualified because he knows Linehan. Is the only way the front office can hire anyone qualified to hire someone who has never met Linehan before?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

blood85 is offline Registered User

ART who???

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm sure our resident Floridian (Av) can give us his opinion on Valero, but the guy was on a playoff staff this year and has a Super Bowl ring from the '02 Buccaneers. I'm sure he played a part in helping the Bucs maintain a solid running game this year with undrafted free agent Earnest Graham after losing Cadallac Williams and Michael Pittman. But you assume he's not qualified because he knows Linehan. Is the only way the front office can hire anyone qualified to hire someone who has never met Linehan before?

Hes a running back coach not an o-line coach. I didnt say he wasnt qualified because he knew Loserhan. This is why this is so stupid we actually let a guy go who I felt did a decent job the last two years holding together a line with tons of injuries. Now we are going to be bringing in a guy who has been coaching running backs not offensive linemen. Hey why dont we call the Whiners and see if Singletary will coach our offensive linemen too.
    Last edited by rammiser; -01-10-2008 at 12:59 PM.
    Just Fix It

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't have much of an opinion of him, though it concerns me that he does not have playcalling experience.

Clearly, the Rams are shopping the bargain bin because the top OC candidates will likely shy from the Rams' current situation.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    ART who???
    Didn't he play Norton on the Honeymooners?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-09-2008, 09:54 PM